Don't you have to wait a year? | FerrariChat

Don't you have to wait a year?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Chad Lewis, Jul 7, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis Rookie

Sep 3, 2020
    There is a local fella that was delivered his F8 Spider last month and he has already sold it supposedly for a huge profit per anonymous sources. Don't you have to wait, like a year, before reselling? I know you have to sign a contract or disclosure of some kind once taking delivery I am pretty sure. How did he accomplish that and/or what consequences does he face in the near future from Ferrari or the dealer? I can't imagine turning it over after, when all said and done, 14 months waiting for it to arrive then disposing.

pilotoCS likes this.
  2. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Then how does one explain almost new cars available at the various authorized Ferrari dealerships?

paulchua likes this.
  3. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis Rookie

Sep 3, 2020
    Not sure. Must be a loophole or maybe you become blackballed from ordering another build? Who knows?

4. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    My understanding is that the one year caveat only applies to the limited edition models

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

paulchua likes this.
  5. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis Rookie

Sep 3, 2020
    Ok. Thanks for the feedback.

6. ginoBBi512

ginoBBi512 F1 Rookie
    BANNED Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Oct 9, 2016
    SO CAL
    Full Name:
    GINO RUGGIERO
    Disgusting, to say the least.

Thank you

7. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Ferrai cannot keep you from selling anything. You bought it.. you own it. You can do whatever you like once it is in your garage. I don't understand why this is so hard to comprehend.

jm2 and Marcel Massini like this.
  8. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    They can't stop you from selling...they can just keep you from buying.

vrsurgeon, carz80am, NYC Fred and 6 others like this.
  9. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Ford had buyers of the GT40 sign a contract stating that the buyer would not sell the car for 2 years. I remember a couple buyers, one being John Cena, did sell shortly after buying. In both cases Ford sued and there were out of court settlements.

ewright likes this.
  10. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My Ferrari dealer requires a signed First Right of Refusal agreement before you take possession of the newly ordered car. This agreement is legally enforced by entering a lien on your car . It mandates that before you can sell your car to another party in the first year of ownership, the dealer must be offered the opportunity to purchase the car at the same price you were going to sell it to the other party. If they take that option, the car must be sold to them before they remove the lien.

11. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Most almost new/pre-owned Ferrari's you see at Ferrari dealers are on consignment. When they sell it, the dealer usually waits until 1 year from original in service date before they change the ownership in their worldwide CRM. At least that's what I've seen on the specialty cars.

paulchua likes this.
  12. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Law and supply and demand

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Mine has something similar but they want for 2 years the right to sell it for you

14. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Other dealers, Mclaren and Lamborghini ask you to sign a similar First Right of Refusal but they are not legally binding.

15. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    Unless there is some kind of massive disparity in the US and UK markets I don't see how anyone could sell a F8 Spider for a "massive profit". Here there are a lot of nearly new Spiders for sale at authorised dealerships, for less than their list price with options, all registered within the last 9 months. Anyone selling will be taking a big hit, not a massive profit. You can buy a car listed and sold at more than £300k earlier this year with less than 3k miles for less than £290k.

take the dealer chunk out of that and it's a big hit for the seller.

This is a mass production Ferrari. Great car, but no profits here.

jm2 and Nospinzone like this.
  16. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Lower of MSRP or market value?

17. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Some people sell the allocation, give the appearance that they have taken delivery but it has been titled into a company name or someone else's name...

18. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Any authenticated price from another source up to actual price paid for the F car which includes freight, taxes etc. In my case, my dealer paid me the exact price I paid for the car.

19. Natkingcolebasket69

Not here. Market gone crazy.

20. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    Six months. Contract with significant financial penalty.

Second 812 GTS up for sale locally for a steep gain.

Especially so with the shortage. But that’s how you keep your spot I presume. Sell through dealer and drive for free.

I thought the 812C was two years ? Higher penalty I was told by a friend who ordered one.

Interesting about lien not aware they can do that in the US.

21. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    They can't. If you pay for the car in full, there is nothing to lien. If you finance through a third party, the dealer gets paid out, and the finance company now holds the lien until the car is paid for. You buy it is yours..sell it and make the bank.

However Ferrari does not have to sell you a car. That is the risk..first world problems

22. jordanfsl

jordanfsl Formula Junior

Dec 11, 2010
    Los Angeles
    F8 Spiders are 30-50k over, at least in my market area. For now, as no one expects that to last of course. Should be interesting to watch as I believe allocations will start getting a tad harder….obviously corporate wants to start building interest for the 296 at some point soon.

my understanding is that the dealers don’t enter the sale transaction into the system until after 6 months has passed. If the factory sees a transfer sooner, dealers can lose a future allocation. AND, factory will not sell to that person again.

Best info I have from people that would know these things. As always, I assume there are exceptions and tricks and cleverness.

23. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    In my experience dealers are having clients sign a 6-12mo no-resale agreement that offer right of refusal to the dealer inside that timeframe. If the client sells the car inside 6 months the dealer is back charged a percentage of msrp by Ferrari and docked a future allocation. The client is also on the blacklist for buying future cars.

I find it frustrating buyers are flipping cars inside that period. It takes allocations from guys who genuinely want to own the car. It undermines the dealer and makes them more difficult to work with and form relationships with for genuine aficionados. It artificially inflates demand at the primary level which ripples out into the resale market (this is tricky as owners do like their cars increasing in value and I’d imagine the financing arm of Ferrari does too). It’s not all that different from the high end watch market. Lots of pikers that want to flip something to make a quick buck in order to supplement their income I suppose. Kinda a scummy thing to do but that’s the way it goes when money is involved.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    I am in Canada

25. Ivan Drago

Ivan Drago Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2021
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Ivan Drago
    Whats the typical wait on allocating a new F8 for example?