Don't these mechanics have to do some training or something? SPOILER | FerrariChat

Don't these mechanics have to do some training or something? SPOILER

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Ohabu, Sep 28, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Ohabu

Ohabu Rookie

Sep 28, 2008
    Montreal
    We will lose the damn championship due to a bunch of retards who should not only be fired but sent to prison. In Hungary when there were only three laps to victory the engine exploded. That didn't happen since Alesi - Berger disasters in mid 90's. In Valencia Rakkonen was on third when the same problem happened. At Spa the management just couldn't take the basic decision of changing intermediate tires with rain tires and it was again a failure. Now the fkn pseudo mechanics released the car before the gas hose was out!!! What is this? Some old Mr. Bean sketch? And some idiot was declaring just after the terrible thing that everything is ok and the injured mechanic is all right! Who the **** cares??? IT WAS A DISASTER!!! And we shall lose the championship because of that? Jean Todt are you there? Where are you man? Take charge please couse we're going down. Schumi do something man! Di Montezemolo saw the race from back home in Bologna. I hope he is taking some severe decisions right now, otherwise...

2. Kami

Kami Formula Junior

Nov 28, 2006
    St. Louis
    you'll probably want to put a spoiler title on this to avoid being crucified ( just warning you ) but I completely agree, there's no excuse for what happened.

3. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Spoiler added.

Folks, please add SPOILER to the thread of a title that could give away racing results.

Also not every comment about a GP needs its own thread.

4. sailquik

sailquik Formula 3

Feb 27, 2006
    In a temperate zone
    Full Name:
    Charlie
    This one kind of deserves it, though. The fuel hose thing was an embarassment. Amateur night at Singapore. I feel so bad for FM, every time things look promising for him something ridiculous happens.

Exploding engines with three laps to go and hoses dragging from the fuel tank like a giant silver snake trying to consume a big red insect are things that you expect in comedy skits, and this poor guy seems to always get stuck in the punch line.

5. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    I agree, its really sad for massa.

Hopefully we can win it though!

6. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    I don´t know if we still can win or not. I only hope that we not have more embarassing moments, that´s the only think I want now.

7. SRT Mike

SRT Mike Two Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I think you've lost it

8. Adrenln328

Adrenln328 Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2003
    Kingston, Wa, USA
    Full Name:
    Byron
    What I'm wondering is why we haven't already gotten rid of the light system to release the driver & go back to a lollipop man, who can see the refueling hose, pit lane traffic, and everything necessary. The new technology of the lights has screwed us up more than once now.
    Time to get back to basics !!
    Just my 2 cents.

9. brian.s

brian.s F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 3, 2003
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Brian
    Wow! what an ignorant thread........

10. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    First of all, we do not know the cause of the red/green/red light issue in the pits. We don't know if it was an electronic failure, or a human error. Or somebody else interferring with the frequency of the unit, either intentionally or not.

Also, the engine expiring, the part that caused the problem is likely not manufactured by Ferrari, so until we can confirm that, it is hard to point any fingers.

The only thing for certain, Massa did not cause any of these problems, and I feel badly for him. He would be handily leading the championship at this point, even without the Spa controversy. He is doing his job, very very well.

11. madFerrariFan

madFerrariFan Formula Junior

May 9, 2007
    Karachi
    Full Name:
    MAQ Khan
    such a bad luck - Ferrari should really look at this situation

12. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    let's put this race behind us and concrete in the 3 remaining races.
    FORZA FERRARI!!
    FORZA MASSA!!!

pls kimi we need some help now on.

13. smart_alek

smart_alek Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2005
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Alex
    #13 smart_alek, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
    I am not agreeing or disagreeing, but, I do find it interesting, telling even, that in the world of f1, where the smallest things are copied to gain an advantage or keep up, that is the one system that no one else seems to care to adopt.

14. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Well the red/green/red was because someone (human) give him the exit with out saw the gas crew still working and the red again was because the pit sensor catch other car to close and then turn red the light to avoid a penalty like in the Valencia GP.

15. Far Out

Far Out F1 Veteran

Feb 18, 2007
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Full Name:
    Florian
    Directly after the incident, they said that it was an electronic failure, no one pushed a button to switch the lights. Calm down.

16. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    So now is an electric grembling and in Valencia was human mmm???mmm

just to be clear how many times you see a grembling in such a simple electronic device?

17. redtrman

redtrman Formula 3
    BANNED

May 16, 2008
    VA - Heart in Pitt
    Full Name:
    Jason Bourne
    #17 redtrman, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
    Would you please explain your thought? The bottom line is that ferrari is the premier F! team in the world and thus, these problems should not occur period. If fault lies within the team, those responsible should be fired period! Unacceptable at any level, otherwise you become a 2nd rate team, period!

Electronics, sounds like somebody attempting to CYA!

18. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    I can't speak for brian.s but I'd say a thread that calls the mechanics "ignorant retards" and says "they were talking about the medical condition of the mechanic - WHO F***ING CARES!" is indeed quite ignorant. Partly because of the "retards" line on a site where lots of members have mentally disabled kids, and partly because the mechanic that was hit did nothing wrong, and to say "who cares if he's hurt - what about the race!" really is ignorant. I'll trade a track position for the well being of a mechanic any day.

As for the performance, some folks seem to think Ferrari has an inherent right to the WDC and WCC titles, and the only way they could ever not be winning both of those by a huge margin is through incompetence and stupidity on the part of the team.

I disagree.

I think the Ferrari F1 organization is made up of a very qualified and very sharp group of guys. The same goes for McLaren, BMW, Renault and all the others. Ferrari is 1 point behind in the WCC and 7 points behind in the WDC. All the other teams are trailing by varying margins, but none are as close to Ferrari as Ferrari is to McLaren.

And this is grounds for gutting the team, replacing the drivers and management of the team?

People are too quick to be reactionary. I have no doubt Ferrari looked at the situation at the last race with the electronic pit light system where it had problems, and I am sure they had added safeguards to try to prevent problems. The word is that the light was triggered by a person (still being debated). If this is the case, a human made an error, no different than a human making an error by lifting up the lollipop. I am sure Ferrari thought they had resolved the problem, and I am sure they had tested it - but it came back to bite them again. I'll wager it will be either fixed or put on hold for the next race. But the assumption is that nobody at Ferrari looked at the problem, nobody corrected anything, and therefore they are incompetent, and therefore should be fired. But nobody knows that - nobody knows what happened within the team during that time and to call for firings is very very premature.

I'd say BMW, Renault, Honda and Toyota are all top rate teams too with budgets equal or greater than Ferraris, and Ferrari are still kicking all their asses with ease. They have led the WCC all year long until today, and honestly, they would still be leading it by some number of points if Kimi hadn't put the car into the wall (which can't be blamed on the team). 1 point deficit in the WCC does not a bunch of "retards" make, IMO.

19. redtrman

redtrman Formula 3
    BANNED

May 16, 2008
    VA - Heart in Pitt
    Full Name:
    Jason Bourne
    SRT Mike,

Agree, totally.

20. SRT Mike

Oct 31, 2003
    Taxachusetts
    Full Name:
    Raymond Luxury Yacht
    Thank you for your comment.

...and lets hope they can pull it back together... with 3 races to go, nobody could deny that this is a really exciting (some may prefer the word excruciating :) ) season. As much as I liked Schumi, it was boring that year when he had pretty much wrapped up the WDC with tons of races left. Seeing them go down to the wire has all of us tuning in to the TV and getting very passionate about the outcomes.

21. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    #21 YellowbirdRS, Sep 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  22. racerx3317

racerx3317 F1 Veteran

Oct 17, 2004
    New York, NY
    Full Name:
    Luis
    I feel they should probably use both the lights and a lolipop man. Driver doesn't go unless both systems tell him to, especially when its a long fill like that. I was almost expecting it to happen. The championship is pretty much gone unless Hamilton has a DNF.

23. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003

Well, the vocabulary of the original post was not acceptable, but loosing a championship and putting the pit crew in danger because some bulb lights up when it shouldn´t is unforgivable. I wouldn´t got so angry if they have lost the race by a minute margin with an uncompetitive car. I´d had to admit that the team is not good enough and that they need to improve. But wasting such a great car and driver performance with that little and stupid mistake is embarrasing.

24. carguy

carguy F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2002
    Alabama (was Mich.)
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    First off, my heart goes out to Massa - who has gotten the dirty end of the stick several times now. I hope that he can, somehow, keep his spirits up, along with his impressive performance. This man deserves the championship and I hope that he gets it - somehow.

I'm not sure if the "green-go" light is triggered by a human, or a combination of a human-and-sensor combination. I'm guessing that it's a combo of the trigger man and a proximity sensor on the fueling rig. The fueling rigs have a habit of being hard to remove from the car at times. Now....if the fueling guy tugs the nozzle from the car but it doesn't release, but it does momentarily move enough to make the proximity sensor think the nozzle is released, but in fact isn't.....the green light may flash on like we saw, and then go back to red. This is just a wild-a## geuss though.....

25. YellowbirdRS

YellowbirdRS Formula 3

Nov 9, 2005
    DFW/RGV/MX
    Full Name:
    Xavier
    Stefano Domenicali about the traffic light:

Q. Do you know what happened at the pitstop, because from the on-board it appeared that the green light was showing?

SD: Unfortunately there was a mistake, it was not an electronic system, it was run manually, because normally in that condition when there are a lot of cars coming in that safety car situation, it is better to have like a lollipop but instead of a lollipop you control the green light and unfortunately there was a mistake.

Q. Is it controlled by the same person that is doing the fuel?

SD: No, no, not the fuel, the same person who controls the pitstop.