Does changing the color effect value? | FerrariChat

Does changing the color effect value?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by George Vosburgh, Feb 6, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Gentlemen, I've done a few searches and can't find the answer to this question:

Let's say we're talking about a 330 series I or II, or a 365 2+2.

Does changing the color of the exterior or interior, away from original, negatively effect the value of the car?

It's a question that I've always wondered about.

Thanks in advance!

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    It does if the car was still in its original configuration when you do so.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
  4. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    I think we can argue this point till the cows come home but one thing is for sure:

There is a segment of the market that truly believes the car should be in its original colors and won't buy anything if it is not in it's original colors or can't be brought back to original due to cost etc.
    When selling a car you want as many people in the buyers group as possible.
    So by alienating some buyers that want original colors you may in fact bring in less money.
    These days non-red cars are doing very well.

We strive to preserve these lovely cars especially the vintage ones so why not restore or maintain them in their original colors just as they left the factory.

5. Hannibal308

Hannibal308 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 3, 2012
    Kahuku / Cottonwood / Prescott
    Full Name:
    Will
    Life's too short to drive around in a $h!t brindle brown Ferrari just because it's original. Unless of course, you like that color. Let the next guy change it back and take a small hit on price.

6. 87testa

87testa Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2006
    Toronto, Ontario
    Don't buy a **** brown one to begin with.

7. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

Thank you all for the responses! My point is not to turn all vintage cars into resale red, but some of these colors are not particularly appealing in todays market. If you find a car in say **** brown, why not find another color in the paint chart for that car and change it, making the car more desirable for todays market?

8. MS250

MS250 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Dec 10, 2003
    Full Name:
    Avvocato
    Hi george, ask yourself the question.

You have 350k to spend.

Two boxers are on the market, one in resale red but was originally a silver car.

The second one is original silver, and repainted in silver.

Both are similar in mileage, and everything being equal.

Which one do you buy ?

I know which one I would buy.

9. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

A very good point...

10. Jamie H

Jamie H Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 28, 2009
    Puslinch,ON
    Full Name:
    Jamie
    Age old question. When my business partner restored his 330 America he chose a period correct dark silver. For my 250gte I have chosen a very dark blue. Neither car the original color.
    My Dino was originally silver (now yellow) and if/when I restore it I'll probably choose one of the period blues available.

Have what you like. My theory is that my estate is welcome to do with my cars what they wish.

11. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

This is more where I am coming from. I don't have a new project car yet, but I am looking around. I really want to get into a vintage V-12. I'm taking my time, I'll come up with something.

12. BIRA

BIRA Formula Junior

Jun 15, 2007
    Few very well known collectors, like RL, LW and CE and before them VSch have decided to create collections with colors of their own, either their choice or single color. In this case the long term ownership and provenance add more than changing original color to another one, I would assume.

13. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    Interesting question.
    My GTE is a non original colour, close to Grigio Fumo, but not quite.
    At events I am often complimented on the colour which does seem to suit the car.
    The original colour was a dark (non metalic) and IMHO far less attractive dark grey.
    At some stage a re-paint will be on the cards.
    Whilst I wouldn't use a non ferrari colour I'm torn as to whether to go back to the original shade or to choose something else from the factory GTE colour chart.
    Then there is the question of 2 pac paint which by its very nature is un-original.

In regard to George's position, I would buy the best car you can find in terms of mechanical originallity and with the best interior and body you can find even if it is painted sh@t brown and then re-paint from the original factory pallet . Its important to have a car that you as an owner think "wow , that looks good" everytime you see it.
    Cars being like lovers in that regard.