Does anyone have a place to drive a go kart? | FerrariChat

Does anyone have a place to drive a go kart?

Discussion in 'Texas' started by jimpo1, Jun 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My kids are bugging me again to buy a go kart, but I'm again giving them the 'no place to ride them' story. The reality is, I wouldn't mind having one either, but there really is no place to ride them. I won't let them ride in our suburban neighborhood, and our lake house has many of the same issues. There are a lot of huge vacant parking lots not far from our house, but I'm guessing I'd have problems with police and/or owners. I'm also aware of the real kart racing places where you can drive a shifter, but that's more than I'm willing to commit to. We have a pickup we could put it in the back of to haul it around, but have nowhere to go.

We need a place like Uncle Greggies warehouse, only with a larger parking lot or an indoor track! :)

I don't expect to find anything, but throwing it out there.

2. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    133 views, no responses.

Too bad kids!

3. TheDuke

TheDuke Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 22, 2011
    Texas
    #3 TheDuke, Jun 21, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
    I wish that someone knew. I want to try karting but don't have a kart or a place to at least go to rent one near me. Looks like your kids are stuck to looking at the 328 all summer. Such a shame :)

Did you just wake up and get your coffee, Jim?
    EDIT: there was supposed to be a picture to go with that last post but I can't get it to work. Maybe later

4. SAFE4NOW

SAFE4NOW F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner

Aug 25, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    If you know you know
    What about a Sunday morning meet up at Boardwalk Ferrari and use our back lot, private property , cone off the entrances.... we could create a "track " with add some box turns...

Just a thought

S

5. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    If you want to kart, then try North Texas Karting Association, I am pretty sure they still have a club track near Denton, there is Dallas Karting Center near Caddo, and you can do indoor electrics at Pole Position in Frisco.

Now if you want to just buy something and run around casually, then I'd say you need access to private property or a really safe and understanding neighborhood.

6. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Alot of times Jim you can hit a local track and get to know some of the members and board members when they are just testing during the off season. I personaly would suggest a real roadcourse rather than some obscure parking lot with cones set up.

I say this simply because you could do what I did and just showup at your local track and get to know people, next thing you know they are letting you take their karts out. The karting community is really just a big family with open arm's. More than 50% of the karts on track were parents getting their kids into it so there are alot of opp's for your kids to drive a real kart in a safe enviroment ie lots of run-off for those off's that will happen.

The parents always seem to get asmuch if not more enjoyment just from the experience of spending quality time with their kids and man you should see the smile when the kids take off their helmets, priceless. Also it is usually just a big barbq.

Keep us updated ok?

7. Zack

Zack Formula 3

Dec 18, 2003
    Nicosia, Cyprus/Cali
    Full Name:
    Zacharias
    How about something like a Honda Pilot? Essentially a go-kart with fat off-road tires and a roll cage? Ride it where you would ride ATVs, and the open areas around your lake house, if there are any?

8. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Jim,
    Bought one for my kids years ago for them to ride on the 3 acres next to our office/warehouse. They quickly tired of running around the same flat area. Save your money and take them to speedzone from time to time.

9. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Does that mean you have a place to ride a go kart? :D

10. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    +1 for this. My neighbors had two similar go-karts that their kids would ride from time to time on their land. They looked fun, fun enough that I considered buying one.

11. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Down to 2 acres, but yes for a while. The other 2 acres were under contract, but they are bailing, so back on the market. While cleaning out the warehouse for the new owner a month ago, just sold our old 2 seat kart to a worker for $100. Would have been a cheap solution for you.