Does 360 Really Need Fire a Extinguisher? | FerrariChat

Does 360 Really Need Fire a Extinguisher?

Discussion in '360/430' started by Apollo 11, Mar 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I'm the proud new owner of a 2003 360 Spider. I have seen some pictures with fire extinguishers installed. Are these really necessary if I'm not going to take it to the track? Are these cars, like some other Ferraris, prone to catching fire?

Looking through the service records on mine, in 2016 there was a fuel smell noticed and they found that the left and right fuel pumps were leaking. Both fuel pumps and gaskets were replaced. Do these fail often or should this one be good for a while?

2. ItalGerBrit

ItalGerBrit Formula Junior

Mar 15, 2016
    S La
    Absolutely. Get an extinguisher. I mounted mine on the driver seat mounts. Easier to get to.

3. Skidkid

Skidkid F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Aug 25, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    John Zornes
    Fire extinguisher is more about harkening to a race car than an actual need. Let's face it, if the car catches fire you GET OUT. The fuel pumps are a known weak point so yes, they will eventually fail again but yours were just replaced so you should be good to go for a long time. Parts of the evap system aren't much better.

4. sakodik

sakodik Karting

Jun 2, 2016
    Santa Clara
    Full Name:
    Dan
    I carry 1-2 5lbs tank in each of my cars. For my safety as well as others who may be in need. Does your 360 need one? Probably not.

5. Element

Element Karting
    Sponsor

Oct 29, 2016
    First of all congratulations on your new Ferrari!

Mid engine cars create a LOT of heat and are generally more prone to fire than a front engine car so carrying a fire extinguisher is a good idea. The extra heat also degrades hoses and fittings meaning that a 15 year old car is certainly more susceptible to fire than a new vehicle.

When choosing a fire extinguisher you need to have two basic things in mind:

1. Time is everything so it needs to be located somewhere where you can get it FAST. Forget about the front trunk as in even perfect conditions you will loose a ton of time accessing the trunk and then getting to a fire. As such a fire extinguisher MUST be in the cabin.

2. Hand held fire extinguishers are for small incipient stage fires only. Thankfully these are far and away the most common type of fire; small at first and easy to tackle when you have an extinguisher handy. Lots of people think about a scenario where an fuel line ruptures and the car suddenly bursts into a huge fire ball. In these instances nothing short of a fire truck will help you and is why you carry insurance in the first place. Luckily these situations are a rarity and you will most likely find yourself with a small fire that causes minimal damage if handled quickly and with the correct tools.

If you have not seen our product I urge you to go to www.elementfire.com . We produce a small but powerful extinguisher that will fit in the door pocket of your 360 without any need for a special mount or ugly bottle in the passenger foot well. Made in Italy , it discharges with no mess and has no expiration so it is a one time expense. Not affected by temperature or humidity you can carry it without any worries of its condition.

Regardless of what you choose having some fire protection in a 15 year old mid engine Italian car is a very prudent idea.

brookliner7, Mimmo Blue and anunakki like this.
  6. ceb39

ceb39 Formula Junior

Sep 17, 2012
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    Chuck B
    Let me tell you a story, then you decide. Skidkid, above makes a good point.

Last year I was going to drive from my home in Fremont, CA to Santa Rosa, CA. Backed out of the garage, my wife yelled at that she smelled something. I didn't, but believe her nose is better than mine.
    Driving up Highway 101 I was behind an old truck, which to me smelled bad. Before getting to Santa Rosa, I stopped at GPM Motors, to have them check something. Mechanic came out, drove to car to the
    back of the shop, and about ten minutes later came into the office, with a not so happy look on his face. Told me, "Your done for the day driving your 360, your right fuel pump is leaking."

Sure enough. On the top of the right pump was puddle of gas, just above a hot header. What would I have done if the car caught fire? Would an extinguisher have helped, who knows.

If you do buy an extinguisher, make sure it is a Halon one.

Good luck.

CB

Manda racing likes this.
  7. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    At the very least its cheap insurance.

8. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    It's JUST like when you have to pee or are late to a meeting.. all the lights are red. But if you're on a sunday drive every light is green.

If you have one in the car, you'll be fine. Never a peep. Never a problem.

If you don't buy one... bad things happen.

I carry a cheap one from Walmart in a bag behind the drivers seat.

John_K_348 likes this.
  9. mello

mello F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 12, 2013
    CA Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Steve
    If my Ferrari catches on fire, I'll let it burn and let the insurance company have it. Lets be honest here. Do you REALLY want to salvage your totaled Ferrari?

KC360 FL, Flea7, kes7u and 1 other person like this.
  10. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Is there not one in the frunk?

11. cladd2000

cladd2000 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 18, 2005
    If you come across a forest fire....
    It’s just cosmetic

12. LP360

LP360 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2016
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lee
    I have one in my storage net behind the seats, quick to get if ever needed (hopefully not) and no need to drill and attach a mount to the cabin.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  13. BAD430BENZ

BAD430BENZ Formula Junior

May 13, 2014
    EL PASO , TX
    Full Name:
    JASON
    BOOM....EXACTLY !!!

14. cgfen

cgfen Formula Junior

Jun 1, 2015
    vista ca
    No, not necessary.
    Just make sure you have full coverage agreed value insurance.

KC360 FL likes this.
  15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    I have one behind my psg seat. It's nice to have since I do alot of club drives..... just in case.

16. Apollo 11

Apollo 11 Karting

Feb 11, 2019
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Thanks for all the replies guys. Very helpful.

I do have full coverage with agreed value.

I think I'll just get one of the small extinguishers and put it behind my seat. If it's a small fire, I'll attempt to extinguish it. If lager, I'll just run!!

Nuvolari and one4torque like this.
  17. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    Good approach. Just like you would not abandon your car if you got a flat tire and damaged a wheel so too should you have the tools to take on the most common fire which is small and contained. Anything bigger is what insurance is for and now you will be prepared not only to help yourself but to help someone else who may not be as well equipped.

one4torque likes this.