Distributor Cap Won't Fit | FerrariChat

Distributor Cap Won't Fit

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by SouthJersey400i, Dec 6, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SouthJersey400i

SouthJersey400i Formula 3

Mar 14, 2007
    Romulus, NY (Finger Lakes)
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    After my 1000 mile rally event (see ealier post) I knew I needed to replace at least the carbon brush in the distributor cap. I bought some special tools (1/4" to flat screw) to get the back screw out of the distributor and lucky me, the tool broke the cap as it was too fat to fit between cap and suppression ring.

I bought a new cap from Tony Vail; he had one in stock. He in fact had to get one from Ferrparts to send to me. I'll get back to that later.

When I got the cap I did a test fit before swapping all the wires. IT WILL NOT FIT. It was tight going into the suppression ring. I compared the old and the new and found that the old one had 'flat spots' outboard of the lugs with the three bolts going thru. The two pics below show the difference.

Old Cap: Image Unavailable, Please Login

New Cap:
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

So without the flat spot the cap will not fit inside the suppression ring.

I called Tony Vail's and explained and he is willing to take back the new cap. Here is the saddest part. The cap that he had in stock was a correct old one but it had a crack! The part number he sent me was 95300043 versus the original part # 9530048. Several sites indicated the 043 superseded the 048; no one has the 048. Algar lists the 048 but it actually is same as the 043; he sent me a picture.

My last hope is Eurospares which shows the 043 number as "special order" but he sells an Italian Repro for 1/4 the price. I have asked him to send me a picture of the Repro as I am sure the special order ones will be the newer 043.

If all else fails.....and I hate to do it.....I will be filing, grinding away my own flat spot on the new cap I have.

OK FORUM, anyone else had this problem? Your solution? Anyone remove the suppressor ring and what is the result? I will wait a few days before I attack the cap!
    Ken

2. Temerian

Temerian Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 17, 2014
    Manhattan
    Full Name:
    Rick Temerian
    I would file it until it fits. It doesn't look like you need to take off very much material.
    Rick

Rifledriver likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I agree. Next time use an 8mm socket. Much easier anyway.

4. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    You could leave off the suppressor ring.

5. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Okay, that's the plan; make this one work. I'll get back when done. Ken

6. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    Use a belt sander if you have access to one. It will be much neater than filing.

7. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Just an update. Eurospares sent pictures of the cap they have in stock; I believe the repro. It is the same as the one I received; the bolt bosses actually look a little larger.
    I measured the difference between old and and found I only need to remove about 1.5 mm from the cap adjacent to the three bolts. Belt sander would have been real good. I have an air jitterbug sander but opted for my little vibrating corner sander. I got it to fit in place but I need to take a bit more off as the three bolts would not all start so it must be offset just slightly. I'll post pics when done.
    Ken

Ak Jim, Il Tifoso and Jasonberkeley like this.
  8. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Here is picture of finished cap. I finally found a manual sanding block gave a pretty flat surface and quicker than the little vibrator. I added a quick coat of clear coat as the sanded areas looked porous and might attract moisture when car is sitting.
    I'll start a new thread for my distributor advance mechanism, as reference see my recent thread on doing the Northeast 1000 mile rally.
    Ken Image Unavailable, Please Login

Attached Files:

9. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Could you please show the physical orientation of the new cap on the engine, and do you need to use a gasket. I'm not certain if it actually matters or not as to which of the three screws go where. Thank you ever so much for your wonderful continuing contributions to this forum. Jq.

10. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    NO gasket.
    It is critical once where you mount the 3 screws!! If you look at top of distributor and bottom of the gap there are small matching 'male and female' insert / indent. When you get the cap inside the suppression ring and the bolts are roughly in the right location all it takes is a little rotation one way or the other and cap will drop into place and stop the rotation. If you were able to put in any of the other two locations your timing would be completely screwed up!!
    I'll post a pic of cap later today.
    Ken

11. jacques

jacques Formula Junior

May 23, 2006
    Los Angeles/Florida
    Thank you very much Ken. I see the notch/key reference on the cap. I hope that it is out towards the front of the distributor where it can be easily seen. It would be so nice to put the wires on before the install, as it would mean donating less DNA. Thanks you very much, again. Jq.

12. SouthJersey400i

Mar 14, 2007
    Full Name:
    Ken Battle
    Jacques
    I took the pic before I saw your post, so I will post anyway in case anyone else wants to see it. My distributor has been sent for advance service so it was not available for a pic.
    Ken
    Image Unavailable, Please Login