Discovery of VIN 91280 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Discovery of VIN 91280

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by stekkefun4, Apr 20, 2018.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Rosso Corsa , standard color.

We tried removing a windscreen from a Mondial T donor car this morning to put on the cabrio. Unfortunately it cracked and I have to order a new windscreen for the cabrio (which was already cracked). Apparently, the layer of glue between the windscreen and the chassis is VERY thin, only 2mm, much less than on other Ferraris like the 456 or 550. That makes that removing the windscreen is a very tedious task. The glass cracked even before getting the cutting cable through, very unexpected!

2. 350HPMondial

350HPMondial F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 1, 2002
    18 mi from the surf,, close to Pismo, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwardo
    Sorry about your windshield.
    Ferrari factory glass is very thin.... but, nowadays there are plenty of mondial front glasses.
    10 years ago,,,, none.. I had to get one from MONZER.
    $ 1,700.00 but, it is a thick aftermarket unit.

Ok, I thought that Rossa corsa had 80 shades....???
    Guess, ill go to PPG,,, here,,, before they close. for, in California we have "new," Carbon Laws.

3. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Yes, RC has a wide variety, I'll let you know once I get the car back

4. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    enzo360, Jeka, Stef65 and 2 others like this.
  5. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Update: Officina Valento is finishing the (very) major service of the cabrio. The engine was dropped from under the car, cleansed, and next to the normal liquids/spark plugs work: disc brakes, water and fuel pumps replaced, some work on the drive shaft on the side of the clutch, too much to mention.

And: I will put it up for sale once it's finished ! I have too many cars and I took the decision to only keep the truly rare cars, this one is not rare enough for me, even with its history as barn find.

The things that remain: treat the leather interior and check all electrics.

6. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    forgot one thing: the windscreen will be replaced too

7. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Engine started again today after 18 months of standing still! It sounds good, but some injectors need replacing. I'm very happy the engine fired up again, looked like an episode from the Gas Monkeys :)

QUESTION: you see the plastic transparant window of the roof, what's the best product to clean the plastic and remove the white spots?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    The big service is done + revision of the brakes, cooling, new injectors, and many other things that were replaced and rebuilt. I'm picking up the car this Friday! Fingers crossed!

enzo360 and JLF like this.
  9. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    This restauration is going much further than anticipated $$$:

- ABS master cylinder, booster and sphere replaced,
    - clutch master cylinder replaced including the lines to the rear
    - Central heating block replaced because the radiator was leaking (entire dashboard had to be removed for this)
    - Front windshield replaced
    - Handbrake lever replaced
    - All flexibles of the brakes have been replaced
    - New brake discs
    And much more. This is going to cost a small fortune in man hours, fortunately I could provide the shop with all the parts. I'll pick it up later this week.

It's going to be a close to new car, about 80% has been repaired / rebuilt / renewed / cleansed !

afterburner likes this.
  10. maybeillbuyit

maybeillbuyit Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    Vancouver . Canada
    Very nice effort saving this car. I didn't see anywhere that you had done the timing belt and adjusted valves? I a noob on this forum but I assume that would have to be done. Great pics as well.

11. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Quite standard on a big service: all belts done, pulleys, water pump, injectors, spark plugs... too much to mention

12. maybeillbuyit

maybeillbuyit Rookie

Sep 8, 2018
    Vancouver . Canada
    Very nice, thx. Sorry I missed that. Again GLWS . Lovely car

13. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
  14. MvT

MvT F1 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    The Netherlands - NH
    Full Name:
    Tijn
    Looks great Stefan! Hope a buyer will find your garage!

15. donkost

donkost Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 1, 2016
    Blandon, PA
    Excellent work, and it's amazing to see the progression. I think one could envision it coming back together even in the pics where it was sitting outside. A Ferrari sitting outside near a drum that looks like it was used to burn trash- unthinkable. :) Presumably there was no damage to the chassis or anything structural, and you are the right man for coming up with the exterior body panels which were required. What did you end up using to clean the plastic rear window? My '85 QV Cab rear window is a little cloudy but I can still see through it.

16. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I'm in the process of fixing some minor issues. Many electric gremlins have been solved thanks to Guido's new fusebox. Next to that, there are a number of faulty contacts because that just need some cleaning, so nothing important so far. I had to replace a relay of the solenoid of the boot lid, fix the connection to the horn, etc... Now I have started re-dyeing the interior in black and overhauling the electrics behind the dashboard and centre console. A lot of enjoyable work, I really like doing this :)

The plastic screen was cleansed with some plastic cleaner, a product that you can find in all car shops.

theunissenguido likes this.
  17. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Next thing: the rear windows. They don't move at all at the moment, though the switches work ... The lifting motors are probably just disconnected, or worst case scenario: motors need replacing.

18. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Door switches fixed so all door lights come on when doors are open. All ellectrics in the centre console are OK too.

theunissenguido likes this.
  19. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    I just finished doing these things:

- Re-dyeing the complete interior in black
    - Fixed the central locking mechanism - RH side lock motor wasn't working and had to be replaced
    - Removed the anti-theft block from the steering wheel and replaced with a spare one and a new set of keys
    - Refitted the dashboard and eliminated a number of electrical gremlins by spraying some contact cleaner in all connectors behind the dashboard
    - Refitted the centre console and fixed all electrics
    - Opened up both doors and checked all electrics

Now I'm repairing the passenger's seat because it won't stay in position.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

20. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Just back from a 10km drive and with a BIG smile on my face :)

The car behaves fantastic, the engine sounds great and no strange sounds, except from some bolts starting to vibrate around 3000RPM.

21. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Latest fixes:
    - License plate lights
    - Both LH and RH rear window lifting assemblies
    - Small repairs to the cabrio top frame

Last thing to do: repair both cabrio top latches with parts from Ron.

22. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    The LH pop-up motor of the front light block stopped working suddenly. Replaced it with a spare one, works perfectly again.

I'll post some pictures of the finished car later this week

This has turned out to be a bigger project than initially estimated, most of the electrics have been replaced including the fusebox, all flexibles too, brake system with brake disks, etc... I'll be a happy man when it's back on the road!

23. JLF

JLF Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 8, 2009
    Awesome, good job.

24. stekkefun4

stekkefun4 Formula 3
    BANNED

Nov 22, 2006
    Belgium - Europe
    Jeka likes this.
  25. theunissenguido

theunissenguido Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2004
    Argent/Brasil
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Great to see She is going to be on the road again. You did a great job...hours you worked on it, just dont count them....otherwise she will be to expensive for sale.:confused:

Guido