Dino Saga 080406 _ Bella Italia | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 080406 _ Bella Italia

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Apr 7, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Apr 7, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 080406 _ Bella Italia

Trip started out funny. On the way to the detailer, no speedometer. Oh great! Well, odometer is stuck but just double the Tach and speed is easy to guess at. 3500 is about 70. OK, lets get the car shiny. Woody’s did a good quick job. Wash, light rub out, wax and back to nice and shiny. Another fine going over inside and out got it as good as it would get. Back home to pull instrument panel and see where the problem was. Unscrewed drive cable and gently pulled the inner cable. Came out an inch easily. Kept pulling the rest out. Got to little rust, then shiney, then broken end. Damn. Scott’s of Santa Barbara struck again. He was the original engine rebuilder back in ’04 and he was supposed to check and lube cable. Just one more thing he didn’t do. Got on the horn with GT in Phoenix and ordered a new cable. Should be here next Monday. Will have another adventure then.

That was the start. Packed the car up and started towards San Diego. Fine to Disneyland but then had left rear wheel come apart. Got to right shoulder and called Shell Club. Just then a Freeway Angel showed up. Changed to the 36 year old spare and we were slowly on our way. Made San Diego and hotel was fine. Great day on Saturday. FOC of San Diego knows how to throw a party! For owners, by owners, public is welcome to come watch if they want.

Jon and Jeff had the Dino in great shape. Three other Ferrari Dinos came along with two Fiat Dinos. Scott.Mac flew in with some surprises since the Washington State weather was just awfull. Jon and Jeff won the Dino award and I got an award for the most miles on a Ferrari. A 308 owner thought he had it sewn up but only had 180,000 miles.

Next day went down to car. Planned to drive to Jon’s house to see his shop. 36 year old spare had died. Million cracks, flat. Sunday morning. Will tell that story and all the other stories that came out of the weekend. But another time. Here are some of the pictures. I will use some others in future Sagas. Got enough raw data for a month of Sagas. Enjoy.

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. omgjon

omgjon F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 13, 2005
    Spicewood, Texas
    Full Name:
    Jon Gunderson
    Great pictures John. I look forward to your weekly saga's. Keep them coming. How could somebody with ONLY 180,000 miles on their car possibly think they were going to win the most miles award. He obviously hadn't heard of JOHN CORBANI!

3. need4speed

need4speed Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    Pacific Palisades
    John,

Thanks for posting the pics from the show. Now, I'm more sorry than ever for not being able to make it down.

PS. Congrats on receiving the award.

4. marcjh

marcjh Karting

Aug 14, 2004
    A Land Far, Far Away
    Full Name:
    Marc Hollander
    John, for those of us who couldn't be there, thanks for the excellent pics. Ohio weather was nice enough to go out for a drive (finally!!). I, too, appreciate your sagas. I look forward to reading them each week. Marc

5. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hey John, there were two Miura's at the show. The blue one you pictured, and a red one that was near where your car was.

Alberto

6. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Alberto,
    I had over 150 pictures and had to cut them down to some manageable size. I stuck with the Ferraris but I couldn't resist including one of the first real supercars. That front end just stops you in your tracks. Not such a great car to drive but the body design is one of the few that are timeless. I saw and shot samples of pretty much the whole show. FOC should be proud. All who came had a blast.
    John

7. AHudson

AHudson F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 7, 2005
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Adams Hudson
    Hey John, Thanks for the photos. Felt like I was there (but without the security check and lost luggage).

You weenie - "challenged" by a guy with under 200,000 miles? What is that? You passed that before Clinton's 18th scandal. Glad you won, and it's cool thinking that Jon's car was like a 'o' miler sitting right nearby, winning a different award for a different reason entirely.

Again, thanks for posting all those. I know that took some time and we appreciate it!

8. alberto

alberto Formula 3

Aug 25, 2001
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Thanks John. If you have any pictures of the red Miura at the show, could you pm high res of them to me (aajr --- cox --- net)?

Alberto

9. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Sorry Alberto, I looked at all the pics and I never did shoot that one. Saw it though. Great turnout. Just too many great cars for an amateur to try to completely cover and still stop and talk. The pros had a real hard job.
    John

10. modmaki

modmaki Formula 3

Sep 11, 2006
    Michigan,USA
    Full Name:
    Mo Makki
    your way cool John...great pictures and as a member of FOC-Michigan iam glad FOC did us proud.......MO

11. StephenShoubridge

May 28, 2006
    West Sussex UK
    Full Name:
    Stephen Shoubridge
    John

How long have you owned the car and how many of them miles have you driven?

12. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    JC,

Did you make it home safely after the tire incident?
    I was very worried when I saw your spare showed all those drying/aging cracks.

Did you get a nice tour of John G's shop?

Regards,

Scott

13. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Stephen,
    Had the car 22 years. Bought with 51,000 miles. Drove all the rest myself.
    John

14. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Scott,
    Tire lasted all day and then back to the hotel. Flat the next morning. Got new one, met Jon, great tour, made it home with only a little adventure. See Sunday's Saga.
    John

15. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Pardon the ignorance but what is the mileage on John's Dino?

16. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Speedo cable broke at 193,899, three days before Bella Italia. Add 700+ miles and I am at 194,600 and counting. I should get the speedo cable repaired on Monday. The award is for only 190,000 so they were safe.
    John

17. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #17 John Corbani, May 8, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Alberto,
    Found the red Muira. Shot it very early in the fog and gloom. Put it in a batch of shots too hard to edit for the Saga. Just played with it for a while and this is what I got. PM me if you would like larger or another aspect ratio. This is a crop of a larger frame. I can resize to anything you want.
    John

18. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    Your car looked really great Alberto,
    and it was nice seeing you and Rossa again!
    John

19. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
    The 8th photo down in the top posting is the SA in Bleu Sera.
    Easily the most elegant vintage Ferrari there!

20. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Great pictures!!

Looked like fun :)

21. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    Scott,
    Now if they could only figure how to put that nose on a modern car we would be in business. That car defined elegance. I talked to them a little when they were warming up in front of the Sheraton. That's her car and it takes a while before all 12 are happy. Then they sing. And 4 can ride.

Adding the Met makes a different color in almost every light. My car looks like that on a dark day. Any light makes a huge difference. Not so elegant, just pretty and ready to run.
    John