Dino Saga 070408 _ Side Marker #2 | FerrariChat

Dino Saga 070408 _ Side Marker #2

Discussion in 'Corbani's Corner' started by John Corbani, Apr 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. John Corbani

John Corbani Formula 3
    Honorary Owner

May 5, 2005
    Santa Barbara, CA
    Full Name:
    John Corbani
    #1 John Corbani, Apr 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Dino Saga 070408 _ Side Marker #2

Curiosity still working at me. Why the current shape of my front markers? GT had a used left front bezel and plenty of replacement lenses, though not the Carello ones. Also had lots of Fiat bezels but said shape and color were different. Bought the used bezel and a couple of lenses. Most anything would be better than what I had. 35 years, lots of sun, lots of scrapes. The resulting body work plus in and out for painting had left their mark.

Lenses had faded and cracked. Also burned and bubbled from heat of bulb. Doesn’t seem that bulb could get that hot, but the bubbles were there. Two new lenses were same size, had smaller cube reflector facets and larger relief around bulb. Color was the proper bright yellow, not a faded straw color. DOT approved. Long overdue.

New bezel had one chip and a small crack but all the pieces were there. Looked like it had gone about half the life of my bezel. Top and bottom had bellied in about half of what mine did. Curvature of outside flange was much less pronounced than mine. Looks like the top and bottom had originally been straight in both planes. No way that could match the curvature of the front fender.

Took a look at the steel U-clamp that holds the bezel in place. Edges that contact inside of fender were curved. Went out and played with fender opening. Bottom edge curves out just a little. Top edge curves out a lot. Pushed in on edges and metal pushed in easily to form a straight line. Now things made more sense. Guess that new bezels are straight or almost so in both planes. The curved edge of the clamp prevents the body metal from moving in. High pressure from the clamp starts the bezel edge rolling over. The natural spring of the fender maintains the pressure. The plastic flows and the hourglass shape is formed over a period of years.

When I get a new bezel we will know for sure but in the meantime I will relieve the center of the clamp surfaces so large forces are on the ends of the bezel, not top and bottom centers. You learn the darndest things. In the most fascinating ways.

Will get the bezel and new lenses on this week. Just took a look at my avatar picture and bezel was broken back in 2005. Can’t remember how many years it has been like that but time for change. One small spot missing chrome is much better than the marker missing its whole top edge. Still getting there. Little bit at a time.

Happy Easter,

John
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    you do have to be careful with wattage on the run lamps, but that one looks like a bad socket burned it....

Thumbs up!!!