Demographics of Ferrari Owners? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Demographics of Ferrari Owners?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by cyclisto, Nov 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ace_pilot

ace_pilot Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    Full Name:
    George
    We should just start a poll somewhere...

Ace

2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    I just wan'a thank those rich folk who buy em new so us po folk can buy em used.

dave

3. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Hear Hear!~

4. SCEye

SCEye F1 Rookie

Aug 28, 2009
    Norcal - Peninsula
    for another perspective, here's what it takes to be "rich" in (name your city)..
    http://money.usnews.com/money/personal-finance/articles/2008/10/09/what-it-takes-to-be-rich--where-you-live.html

5. Modulo_B

Modulo_B Karting

Jan 20, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rudy
    me too, DAMMN IT!

6. Modulo_B

Modulo_B Karting

Jan 20, 2007
    Puerto Rico
    Full Name:
    Rudy
  7. F SPIDER

F SPIDER F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jan 30, 2002
    NYC, A'dam, W'stock
    Full Name:
    rijk rietveld
    In the example you quote, the median income would still be 0.5B.....

8. fastradio

fastradio F1 Rookie
    BANNED Professional Ferrari Technician

Apr 26, 2006
    New England
    Full Name:
    David Feinberg
    Oh please!
    You really that that a lot of the "new Ferrari owner's" aren't doing exactly the same thing?

Based on the sheer number of fairly new Ferrari's currently for sale, I guess a few of them are swimming in debt, as well.

9. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    My comment was in response to the assertion that Honda buyers are spending half of their annual income on a new car. Considering that half of one's annual income is a significant amount of money to that person and that new cars depreciate, I think that is not a wise move financially, and I pointed out other unwise financial moves those typical owners make. I have no idea what new Ferrari owners are doing, but if they are doing the same thing (i.e. borrowing money to buy a depreciating asset that costs half of their pretax income), then they are not being very wise, either. ;)

10. hockeyguy4u

hockeyguy4u Rookie

Nov 25, 2009
    Toledo, Ohio
    But Honda buyers often keep their cars for many years and put tons of miles on them (100-250K). So yes, even though the car may cost them half of an annual salary, the actual cost in relation to miles/years used is diminished.
    Compare this to a Ferrari, where one can drive 10-15k miles and suffer a 100K depreciation in a blink of an eye...

11. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    #61 Tony K, Jul 29, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2010
    I don't know which is greater, but there are plenty of new Honda buyers who keep their car only 2-5 years. Lots of leases, lots of people who sell cars before/when the warranty runs out, and lots of people who just always want to have a new car.

If you are going to factor length of ownership into the equation, one could play the card that many new Ferrari buyers unload their cars at a premium or with little/no loss while the model is still hot. If you are going to use the "10k miles depreciates a Ferrari" line, that's really comparing apples to oranges, like saying "the Honda doesn't offer anywhere near the performance of the Ferrari," as if that were relevant or valid. The comparison being discussed here is one of buyers and spenders, not of cars. The market value of a given year car is what it is, and accounts for cars being used in their respective typical and intended manners.

The reality is that most people buying new cars can't afford one. That includes all common makes, not only or especially Honda. The old phrase "When you're buying a used car, you're just buying someone else' problems" is a fool's mantra. You're paying an awful lot for that bumper-to-bumper warranty (in the form of depreciation), many times the cost of probable repairs if you bought used. That's simple math. But people are emotional, and have to excite themselves with something new. But buying a rapidly depreciating asset worth half (or more) of their pre-tax annual income is something nobody who isn't financially secure should do. And as I said before . . . on top of buying a depreciating asset, they pay interest on it. Many people waste all their money away to banks because they feel they have to live in a big[ger than they can afford] house and drive a new[er than they can afford] car. But because everyone around them is doing it, they think they can afford it.

12. hockeyguy4u

hockeyguy4u Rookie

Nov 25, 2009
    Toledo, Ohio
    That used to be the case, but not any more. New Ferraris now take big depreciation hits. Those days are over....

13. Tony K

Tony K Formula 3

Jun 7, 2006
    Toledo, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Tony K.
    It goes through cycles, and as long as there is a waiting list for a model, used ones will be at a premium or hold their value.

14. hockeyguy4u

hockeyguy4u Rookie

Nov 25, 2009
    Toledo, Ohio
    I hope so! I'd love to see that dynamic back again, where a Ferrari owner can perhaps make a profit flipping his car after a few thousand miles of ownership.

15. hockeyguy4u

hockeyguy4u Rookie

Nov 25, 2009
    Toledo, Ohio
    I think if people payed in 'cash only' for their cars, they would come out way ahead in the end. The pain of that would make it less likely that they would change cars as often during their driving lifetime.

16. mixxalot@yahoo.com

[email protected] Formula Junior

Feb 9, 2006
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    JD
    After reading this, I am discouraged and feel like a pauper in spite of earning 100k for past 5 years! Oh well, guess I can dream and buy a toy replica Ferrari. Probably why most Ferraris and exotics are bought by pro athletes, movies stars and fat cat wall street bankers these days.

17. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Some maybe, but no where near most.

Dave

18. tempest411

tempest411 Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2010
    All I want is an old 308. I make enough to buy one of those at around 32K. I know they used to fetch as much as 70k. For that car that would be silly. I would never pay that kind of money for any car, even if I made 10X what I make now! I mean, come on now...it's just a car. If I had 500K I'd start buying up used manufacturing equipment and start my own company!

19. chenglo1

chenglo1 Formula Junior

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Cheng
    what a fun thread. my ROI from ownership is priceless. No I don't make 1M nor do I own 5 cars. contemplating if next toy car will be used Ferrari or Lamborghini. I agree with other above, can't justify the sizeable depreciation of buying new. That just means I don't make enough moola!

20. mbyormark

mbyormark Karting

Jul 25, 2017
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Michael Yormark
    Love this! Seeing how I stack up.....

-- Annual household income of $1 million or more. Income, hah. Less than 20%

-- Ninety-eight percent are male. I'm a guy.

-- Age: 35 to 55 years old. Ahead of the curve, was 27 when I bought my 550. I'm 28 now.

-- Occupation: professionals, entrepreneurs and high profile individuals; 82 percent are self-employed. Former entrepreneur, currently leading Innovation at a company.

-- College graduates: 79 percent. Syracuse University 13'

-- Post-graduate degrees: 39 percent. Nope.

-- Half the Ferrari owners own five or more cars and 65 percent own more than one Ferrari. I own one car, a 550 Maranello. In my life I've owned a total of 3 cars.

FIGHT THE POWER!

Texas Forever likes this.
  21. WLFerrari

WLFerrari Karting

Mar 17, 2017
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Wayne
    Replying to surveys is so random - whether the responder was truly honest or just giving aspirational answers (who knows!).

I do, however, think the responses are directionally correct. I do think generally that the buyer is a highly educated, older person, most likely a car guy, with high disposable income and has amassed a certain amount of wealth. Also likely to be a senior manager or entrepreneur where the ownership of the Ferrari is a third or fourth car driven solely for pleasure. It would also not be uncommon where they may have a mid engine V8 and a GT Ferrari. The ownership of a Ferrari is purely discretionary and such expenditure is simply a matter of that they want it and can have it.

22. Golden Steed

Golden Steed Formula Junior

Apr 11, 2018
    Full Name:
    Golden Steed
    It seems to me this was a poll about American (US) Ferrari owners. Because, feel free to correct me, aren't a ton of these cars owned by English Barons, Saudi Shrieks, Chinese/Russian commodity oligarchs, and Latin American dope dealers?

23. TRW

TRW Rookie

Oct 9, 2020
    Full Name:
    TRW
    Interesting thread.. Just watching a Dodgers game with volume off and laughing at some of the
    comments... Cash is king and you can only spend a dollar once... so why pay cash for
    a depreciating asset when you can finance with 1.99% interest. Ok I am a business owner
    so there may be some advantages of this, like using the thousands saved and purchasing
    inventory to sell at a profit of 100% pay my monthly $50-80 whatever in interest against
    the loan, enjoy the car drive it, relax and decide if I should add a line item to all invoices
    call FSC (Ferrari Surcharge) of .095 cents per gallon of product. While driving consider
    marketing outlets, increase market share and let the market purchase the vehicle while
    the FSC acts as direct counter to the cost. And of course purchase whatever vehicle
    it will be Merc, Maserati, Ferrari, Lear Jet, Honda used to avoid the big depreciation hit,
    while having a end of road asset to resale into the market. Name of the game is cash flow
    management of that cash flow and to not be greedy for what would stress such flow.
    There is always fat on the cow find it cut it & you may find hundreds of dollars being
    wasted monthly that can counter the monthly vehicle cost...

TRW