Demographics of Ferrari Owners? | FerrariChat

Demographics of Ferrari Owners?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by cyclisto, Nov 24, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. cyclisto

cyclisto Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Utopia
    Full Name:
    Sy Kleesteau
    Being a fellow, aggro F-car owner, I thought I'd see if I measure up to all you studs...keep in mind those are 2006 numbers. Mine are current.

I guess I'm pretty average.....How do you guys stack up??

http://imgs.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/06/25/MTGIBJJHO51.DTL&hw=cars&sn=068&sc=575The Ferrari owners' medley

Here are the demographics of the typical Ferrari owner, provided by Ferrari North America:

-- Annual household income of $1 million or more. ...Mine is maybe half...next year may be a lot less! ;-)

-- Ninety-eight percent are male. male.....Yes, I'm male

-- Age: 35 to 55 years old. ....Right down the middle....46 years old

-- Occupation: professionals, entrepreneurs and high profile individuals; 82 percent are self-employed. .....I'm an investment manager, low-profile, self-employed.

-- College graduates: 79 percent. ....Columbia alum...

-- Post-graduate degrees: 39 percent. ...HBS dropout...

-- Half the Ferrari owners own five or more cars and 65 percent own more than one Ferrari. .....Wow a lotta toys....own my F355, Mercedes and a Ducati.

Demographics of more typical U.S. car buyers, using all models of cars produced by Ford, Honda and Toyota, provided by Strategic Vision Inc.:

-- Median income: Ford, $69,991; Honda, $73,048; Toyota, $68,921.

-- Percent male: Ford, 69 percent; Honda, 45 percent; Toyota, 52 percent.

-- Median age: Ford, 51; Honda, 47; Toyota, 51.

-- College graduates: Ford, 40 percent; Honda, 66 percent; Toyota, 55 percent.

Texas Forever likes this.
  2. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

I don't own one, but I sure feel like a broke ass reading that.

Husker, Rokas Skyrius and Formula Uno like this.
  3. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    This data may be for new car purchases, not the ownership in general. If so, it's obviously skewed higher as the new cars sold today are very pricey. That would also explain the multiple Ferrari ownership which seems impossibly high in the general population of Ferrari owners. It's hard for me to believe that 65% of every Ferrari I see on the street has another one sitting at home in a garage.

I think the most telling features are the high college education and being self employed. It's darn difficult to make a bunch a money without an education and working for someone else, so that makes sense.

Speaking of "self employed", I know a certain CEO (whose company shall go nameless) who makes a bundle of money and would love to buy an F430 but it would be "politically incorrect" for him to do so while his company is going through tough times for the past several years. I'm glad I'm not trapped like he is in this game. Life is way to short for this kind of thing.

Husker and Texas Forever like this.
  4. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    Looking around Fchat, the only common thread I can find is ....

... the bikini thread. :D

Husker and Texas Forever like this.
  5. bizz

bizz Formula Junior

May 26, 2008
    Redwood City, CA
    Full Name:
    joe B
    Great little read there. Yes, I agree- this is clearly the demo of a new buyer.

Annual household income of $1 million or more. <less than 50% of this today, but I bet we are all shooting for breaking even in 2009>

-- Ninety-eight percent are male. <check>

-- Occupation: professionals, entrepreneurs and high profile individuals; 82 percent are self-employed. <self-employed, entrepreneur, and I'm about as low profile as I can get without disappearing altogether>

-- College graduates: 79 percent. <check>

-- Post-graduate degrees: 39 percent. <drop-out>

-- Half the Ferrari owners own five or more cars and 65 percent own more than one Ferrari. <check on 5+ cars, no on 2+ Ferrari>

6. dsd

dsd F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2006
    Northern Virginia
    I recently took a survey for FNA. My favorite question was "what other modes of transport do you own" and helicopter, plane, yacht, were the options.

-dsd

7. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I have serious doubts that most have anual incomes of 1M, even for new car buyers. 1M in net worth certainly. The rest rings true.

Dave

Husker likes this.
  8. Miner_31

Miner_31 Formula Junior

Jun 27, 2008
    Summerfield, NC
    Full Name:
    Mike
    You are probably right. But, it is just a survey. There is nothing stopping the owners from lying to the piece of paper about how much money they make. Most surveys I have taken stop the income brackets at 250k+ a year.

Husker likes this.
  9. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I never answer the surveys about income. It's none of their business and I leave it blank.

10. MamoVaka

MamoVaka Formula 3

Jul 31, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Pano S.
    Agreed.. 1M a year sounds a bit much to me also as a MEDIAN salary

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I suspect most buyers of new Ferraris are making $1mil a year or more... buying a new $300k Ferrari making much less than that is foolish IMHO...

12. Ferraribot

Ferraribot F1 Veteran

It depends on the survey. When I took the one from Porsche after I bought my Boxster the brackets had a lot more categories after $100k going way up, whereas a lot of surveys stop at around $100k and above. I would imagine Ferrari is very similar. I doubt many folks making $25k a year are Ferrari owners.

13. fenzoman

fenzoman Karting
    BANNED

Jun 19, 2008
    #13 fenzoman, Nov 25, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
    Over the years many of the enthusiasts I've known buying seem to have spent disproportionately on their Fcars. Not rich at all, just love vintage cars. Combine that will all the cars being dumped now and it does not point to deep pockets. Many new car owners strike me as having bought with home equity or on a corporate lease with credit.

14. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    For one thing, the vast majority sold are 200-250K. I bought a new one with money I was certain I would never really need but never made close to 1M in a year. What about all those folks that had to finance or lease them? Perhaps a few leased to their businesses, but not many. Anecdotally, not many of the new buyers I know ever made 1M. Besides, don't confuse income with wealth. Our household could get along OK on 60-70K a year and keep the Ferraris because we planned conservatively, have zero debt and built plenty of assets. Wealth is much more important than income.

Dave

15. Pantdino

Pantdino Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I was considering starting a thread on this, as there are occasional posts asking for an opinion at what point in life a person should buy a Ferrari.
    Basically, it amounts to "How much of one's net worth should one have tied up in non-transportation / pleasure use only cars?" This assumes that the person actually loves them and has always wanted them, not just thinks he can make a profit or pick up chicks or whatever.

How about 10% of one's net worth NOT including your primary residence? So if you have 2M in your KEOGH and 401K and other investments, you can have $200K in cars and not feel bad about it.

At that level, if the car's value fell to zero it wouldn't make a significant difference to your lifestyle now or in retirement. And if the stock market loses 40% your cars will too, so you're still at 10%! :)

Obviously, this will depend on age and other factors, but as a rough guide it makes sense to me.

Jim

16. F129b

F129b Formula Junior

Feb 6, 2004
    oc, calif.
    Full Name:
    Robert
    One of the great benefits to living in Colorado!

17. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    I'd write down STAR TREK TRANSPORTER or maybe CAMEL :)

18. Steve King

Steve King F1 Rookie

Feb 15, 2001
    NY
    Well I guess I need to sell my car. I don't meet any of the listed crieteria. Maybe I'll have to go back and buy another Corvette and get back into my lower class status. HAHAHA. It would be more interesting to see the profiles of different models. As I had mentioned before I think there are maybe 3-4 different owner groups. Each has their own/different financial status. I would suggest the above would cover the newer model crowd. My 2C here

19. ALPO

ALPO Formula 3

May 13, 2005
    Annapolis area
    Full Name:
    alpo
    Wealth and income are irrelevant and only of importance to marketing people. If you are passionate about Ferrari's, you will find a way to purchase, own, maintain and drive the snot out of them. Frankly, the ongoing thread about demographics, wealth, and income is irrelevant and boring...especially when your life comes to its eventual end and you are six feet under.

Work hard for your personal goals and reward yourself.

But also recognize that in our brief lifetime on this planet, family, friends and health are more important than all the toys.

That's about the best advice I think you can give to the next generation of young, up and coming owners IMHO.
    We are just caretakers of these fine automobiles for the next generation.

root likes this.
  20. DennisForza

DennisForza Formula 3

May 23, 2006
    Arlington, VA
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    I was 15, had not yet finished my sophmore year of HS, made maybe $6K that year lifeguarding and mowing lawns. I was a male, as I still am, so I guess I fit in the demographics. The car was in boxes though, so maybe they did not count owners of non-car cars.

21. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    It sounds as though they've covered everything but athletic supporter cup size! Fred

22. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    1) They don't define 'typical'...is that 51%, to make it a majority, or 40%, as in the largest minority(with no clearcut majority?), or 99% ?

2) $1M is not indicated as median or not, when the figures below for Ford, etc. are labeled median.

3) as posted above by others, are these figures for -only- buyers of 'new' cars?

Like most numbers coming out of Maranello, i'll bet these are skewed to the optimistic side.

23. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Sounds pretty conservative and reasonable. The only thing I would add is that if net worth was say 5M and your living expenses are low, then 20% or more in cars would be fine with me.

Age is very important. For instance, a 30 year old putting $200K into toy cars will be giving up far more eventual retirement wealth/income than a 50 year old.

Dave

24. pdmracing

pdmracing Formula Junior

Feb 14, 2007
    atlanta
    @ the 1990 national meet @ the glen(or was it 91?) the then president of FOA told us the average client was a gynecologist with a practice making 50k a month

25. REMIX

REMIX Two Time F1 World Champ

It differs from person to person.

If you've made 150k/yr forever and put 30% of that money away year after year and it grew, you do NOT need $1m in annual income to buy a new Ferrari. You can probably write a check.

I know some really well-off guys who are in serious panic mode right now...some of them surely make high six figures, even seven. They're so over leveraged in real estate and such, they couldn't afford to even think about a new Ferrari. For most of them, the situation is temporary. For some not so much.

I don't buy the 10% rule, either. If I have to have assets of $350k to buy a new Acura, well...

RMX

LVP488 likes this.