Dear Abby, | FerrariChat

Dear Abby,

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by UroTrash, Sep 3, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UroTrash

UroTrash Three Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    I hope some of the thoughtful and knowledgeable folks can help me with a little dilemma I have.

I have 4 daughters. First daughter is not a car person. She will occasionally drive my 1991 Miata and did learn to shift gears in it, but really does not care for the whole car thing. I did take her to Road Atlanta to the Audi Driving School for 2 days and she got pretty proficient in the high-speed defensive stuff.

My second daughter is the dilemma. She has had her permit for 5 months. She takes me out in the Miata EVERY evening and for hours on the weekends. She loves to shift. She is great with anticipating down shifts (we live in the smoky Mtns, lots of curves) and loves to induce a little oversteer exiting corners. She has declared she isn’t going to the Audi school as she has no use for front wheel drive since you can’t induce the oversteer out of exits. She wants to go to the BMW School where they use 540is.
    She really loves that little Miata.

Dilemma: I’m really hesitant to let the Miata be her daily driver as she turns 16 because of safety issues. She really wants it. My wife is strongly against it. I’m torn. The high school is only 2 miles away, but she could always get in a wreck that close to home. (They say more than ½ of the wrecks are within 5 miles…)

Her older sister drives a 2000 Accord with side airbags, front airbags etc.

Any sage advice?

Disclaimer: I posted this on the Miata site also.

2. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    Ok so does it have to be rear drive?

3. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Yeah, she really likes rear wheel, and 5 speed (or 6).

4. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    Hey Good Doc,

How are you? Haven't talked to you in a while. Hope all is well. The new two wheelers are here, enjoying them immensely. The jap ones pulls strong, the S has gobs of torque.

My parents wouldn't let me drive my dream car (crx at the time) becuase it was too small and they feared in a wreck it would be terrible. I ened up driving a german station wagon. Got hit by a DUI, while I was stopped at a light, and he was going 64mph. He was 15, no license. It was my bday, was going to get a haircut. He T boned me, my car flipped, I survived.

I don't think the crash would be any worse in my crx, the way the accident happened. I know parents are rather protective of their children, and are worried about impact of miatia/crx/mini vs SUVs all the time.

Personally, I say if your daughter likes the miata, let her drive it. Its a safe car, maybe not as safe as a Volvo (which I believe is what your wife used to drive), but its still a pretty decent car.

You are a reasonable man. Let the girl have some fun, and enjoy life a little. She will be fine. Your daughter is growing up. Convince your wife to loosen the ropes a little bit, heck you are a two wheel madman yourself. Tell her how much worse it would be if your daughter was riding the Duc, and in comparison the miata is a tank. :D If she doesn't listen to that, bore her with ideas of threads you put on offtopic, till she gives in. :D

In all seriousness, let the girl enjoy her freedom, and look cool, and allow her to drive the miata. If you are overly concerned, put a rollcage in it.

After all is said and done, if your daughter is looking for a date, let me know :D

-Your Friend,

Ryan

5. coolestkidever

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    ok hmmmmm, is a supra rear wheel.

6. Jordan Ross

Jordan Ross Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2003
    Austin
    Heh, I dont think a Supra is much safer than a Miata (other than having a roof, but how often do Miatas flip over?).
    I would get her an older M3, one of the earliest ones. Those cars are great fun.
    I think they come in 5-speed? At least four forward gears, I just cant remember. Theyre RWD with a respectable amount of power. As far as crash safety goes, I havent heard any specific complaints.
    Or get her one of the RWD Maximas. About the same era, with the same performance idea. Saves on insurance $ too.

If all else failes, render the Miata chassis in Carbon and Steel, and add a roll cage and hardtop. I have no clue as to what that would cost, though.

My parents have the same concerns with me driving "a high powered dangerous sports car" (lol, speaking about my Camaro) so now Im driving a tame F150 and a Maxima 5speed (of the FWD persuasion, though) for a little while.

7. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Ryan, congrats on the scoots! We do need pics you know!

As far as the girl goes, I'm a professional worrier. I have to always consider bad outcomes. I think the worse.

I'd like to find a rear wheel drive 5 speed car that is reasonably safe that a teen would tolerate and would not be a total piece of junk. I'm not thinking 3 series as that image would not wear well in this rural town's high school. I thought about a Mustang but I don't know if thats any safer than a Miata, and I'm spoiled on reliabe cars...

Can anyone think of a nice 4 or 5 year old car like this??

8. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Maxima 5 speed might be good, I didn't realize they were rear drive.

9. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

You know my 3 month picture rule. It takes that much time for the 35mm to go to Coscto and come back to you. Thanks for the kind words.

All parents are professional worriers. In about 15 years I am sure I will be one as well.

Since you want reliable, but RWD I would suggest the following, since you didn't say budget.

1)1997 Lexus SC300 5 Speed. They can be found. Luxury and 5 speed. They have the Supra motor.

2)Mid 90s Toyota Supra non turbo. Turbos are usually beat up on and after the Fast and the Furious movie, owners want ridiculous prices for them. It has the same motor as the Lexus.

3) Toyota Mr2. These are cool cars. 95+ Pretty much like the miata, RWD, but have a solid roof.

4) Nissan 240sx. Good motor. NOt too much power, sporty RWD.

5)Nissan 300zx. I would recommend the non turbo, as turbo cars are either trashed or priced too high. Safe cars, 6 cyl, RWD.

6) Mid 90s RX-7. I hesitate to mention this, because many of them have blown up motors. I would tread here with caution.

Honda family is basically all FWD, unless you want to shell out the bucks for an NSX. If 3 series is too much in your town, nsx will be WAY too much.

I would have preferred to recommend a 2000 or 1999 BMW M coupe. They have the love it or hate it styling, but reliable S52 motor in them. Quad pipes, M badge, 5spd, RWD, 240HP.

**MAXIMAS ARE ALL FWD.

Let me know if I can further assist you.

I still say let her have the miata. Accidents can happen, and people get killed in Caddilac Escalades as well. Defensive driving is the best way to save yourself. Be alert, don't speed, and tell her to go easy on the turns.

10. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
    Thanks Ryan.

Cross off the Maxima. I used to have a 1992 SC300 5 speed, great car. Sold to my brother, his wife crashed on an icy bridge 3 months later, totalled. I will say, that car was spooky on wet roads, it would definitely get on top of water.

Sounds like the 240SX might be perfect! To a teen's eye that would be sporty and fulfill my requirements. I suspect the price would be in line as well. Again, I didn't know that was rear drive.

Thanks Ryan.

You know you can get a digital camera for $25 now.. :)

11. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

I'm fairly sure you can induce some over-steer in the Subaru Imprezza. A used WRX or Oz Rally edition may be a good choice. It is AWD instead of RWD but hey... just that much more added safety right?

12. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat
  13. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I love subies but my girls pan them, go figure....

14. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Agreed that the SC can be hairy in wet/snow. I got stuck in my SC on a mountain pass in southern OR a year ago, with snow. LOL. That wasn't fun. Then again my best has 650hp or so. THose SC's just need more tire. If you slap on some 275/295 rear, they are stable.

I agree, some people think its an old persons car. IN that case the 240sx is the best deal for you. In japan the 240 sx is the drift car, and comes turbo charged. Stateside, it comes with the torque 2.4 liter motor. The motor is strong, but low on hp, 155 I believe. However it is sporty, it is japanese, and it is cheap.

THere you go.

As a thankyou for my advice, maybe you can send me the $25 digi cam. :)

WHatever, you do , PLEASE dont buy a 318. WHo wants a 4 cylinder bmw?? Rather she walks, then drives a 318!!!! :( Don't scar your child for the rest of her life!

15. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

I had a lovely 2002 in Med School.

16. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Doc,

A 2002 and a lowly 318 is not even in the same class.

17. UroTrash

Consultant Owner

Jan 20, 2004
    Purgatory
    Full Name:
    Clifford Gunboat

:) :)

18. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    The first generation M3 is a four cylinder.

19. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Wow, it seems like everytime I say something, I need to clarify it. I was referring to his link which was a lowly 318.

The first gen, wide body, M3s were indeed 4 cylinders and mighty machines. Heck good examples of the E30 fetch 14-18K even in todays market.

The 2002 was one of the best bmw ever made, and really changed the small car performance market.

I was only referring to the silver 318 the doc posted with the link

20. TSMIV

TSMIV Formula Junior

Jan 27, 2004
    Columbus, MS
    Full Name:
    Robert Goodman
    Just giving you a hard time.

21. coolestkidever

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick

O yes the 02-present M3 is heavenly, endless power and torque, and looks damn fine. its my second favorite car.

22. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

Well in that case, disregard my post. :D

23. LAfun2

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan

2002 is a model of a bmw. Google it, you youngin. It is not the 2002 model year bmw. It was a separate model that was called 2002, but not built in 2002.

I was waiting for someone to start getting confused. Todays kids think m3 and m5 were the only bmws ever made. :rolleyes:

24. Z0RR0

Z0RR0 F1 Rookie

Apr 11, 2004
    Montreal, Canada
    Full Name:
    Julien
    IMHO, best thing is get a closed fun sports car (Bimmer 3, Supra, 300ZX, 240/280SX, RX7, S2000, Elise?, ... etc ... no reasonable sporty RWD 4 banger coming to my mind right now), and get a roll cage in it! She can go to the track, and if she wants to push it (and sounds like she will), she will be safe.

There's no going around it, if someone likes to step on it, they do. I know my sports car will have a roll cage! Cheap insurance. If my car is low enough to see headlights at window level, I want some 2" steel tubing between them and me! :)

25. coolestkidever

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    #25 coolestkidever, Sep 3, 2004
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    i just got..........
    Image Unavailable, Please Login