Dead Battery :( | FerrariChat

Dead Battery :(

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by LeoBRK, Dec 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    14 FF , my daily driver travels couple of hundred miles per week and driven a. min of 3x per week. battery less than 1 year old, no problems whatsoever with starting, electrical gremlins etc. drove it this past Sunday several hours performed perfectly. Monday had my detailer clean as always and I think may have inadvertently hit a a light switch?? try to start on Tuesday and the car is 100% dead. key stuck in ignition and I couldnt open trunk to try to connect the battery tender. I finally fig out there is a small release button under ignition to remove the key and I had to climb in there rear drop the seats to access the trunk for battery tender. as soon as I connected the tender the doors were able to fully close and the interior lights started flickering and some buzzing noises is that normal? so over 30 hours on tender and all I get is the dash/tach light illuminate but not even close to starting up -SUCKS! so now its stuck in my garage with no way to get it out--AAAHH i assume no way tender going to give it enough for the car to turn over. should I leave tender in for another day or so?

2. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    You need to jump start it with battery cables. The tender will not charge a drained battery. Once started by jumping, then drive for an hour and see if battery charged up from alternator

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 and 348ts92 like this.
  3. 348ts92

348ts92 Karting

Sep 27, 2002
    St Louis, USA
    Full Name:
    Magnus Tannfelt
    Wsy2fast is correct. The OEM battery tender can't charge a drained battery. Use a more powerful battery charger and charge the battery overnight and you will be fine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  4. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Sometimes new batteries can die just like that. And if you’ve discharged it (light left on?) then it could be toast. Get the car started, get it to a dealer and get the battery replaced - or if you’re handy, order a new one and replace it yourself (I did my own battery change).

5. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I would get a new battery no matter what. Even if you charge it back up, it could happen again. My battery was so dead, the car would die even after jumping it. Couldn't even drive it a block. No choice but to flat bed it in to dealer.

ScottS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  6. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Thats good advice. I would replace the OEM tender with the more powerful CTEK 7002. This will be able to charge up your battery (though slow)- you can get the correct connector on ebay- just search for CTEK 7002 and Ferrari. This brought my 599 battery back and I actually got several years on it- but out of caution I brought it to my independent where he has a battery testing machine and he said the battery was perfect. Its always possible you have a battery with a bad cell, sometimes it takes a year before you realize it.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  7. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    getting a new battery no matter what sounds like sound advice, with all the battery sensitivity issues I have heard with the ff I will def do that. now I have to get it out of my garage so I can have it towed the dealership. maybe they can jump it as opposed to manually getting the car into neutral?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  8. Eric360

Eric360 Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 11, 2010
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Eric
    I think jumping to get it out of your garage is a good idea. You should call Ferrari roadside assistance. They will have a person who is familiar with jumping a Ferrari. You want them to be liable if something happens. It's clearly not rocket science, but lots of tow truck drivers wouldn't touch a Ferrari in fear of messing up the electronics. I wanted to jump my battery and drive it into the dealer, but couldn't. It died in the middle of the street around the corner. So flat bed was the only safe option. It was a chore just to get it out of the street/traffic.

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  9. vraa

vraa F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Mr. A
    ScottS and Caeruleus11 like this.
  10. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Called Roadside they were helpful. Came in less than one hour they were able to jump the car immediately started right up. Tons of lights and alarms were on the car had a difficult time getting the car out of the parking break for some reason and then once I was able to back it out of the garage and put it into neutral I was unable to Activate the parking break? I drove the car a few blocks and it drove perfectly well. I had it flat bedded regardless so they can install a new battery and get all the lights off etc. The car was showing it’s in wet mode even though it is not and I cannot change that either?

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  11. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    Not sure with these mean and assume this is normal when the battery is completely dead?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

12. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Don't worry too much right now. I think the car's systems are all on the same bus, and what happens is when there's one error, sometimes it causes a cascade of other errors. The dealer should get this cleared up. I really do recommend going with the Ctek 7002 as a tender. And the Nico Boost jumpers are excellent to have around- much better than using another vehicle to jump any car. Supposedly there is a risk of a surge to either vehicle when you are doing the usual jump start between vehicles.

13. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    thanks again for information, i think i am going to purchase both!

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  14. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    If it wasn't for the 4RM system, the local RepoMan should be able to get the car to the dealer by just pick up the rear wheels.

What's the battery brand that died? Which Noco model to get?...I probably need to get one too because I'm not sure if AAA will be able to jump it.

15. LeoBRK

LeoBRK Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Leonardo
    good news it was just the battery everything else checked out fine, picking up car tomorrow it was an OEM battery odessy I believe and that is what they put back in.. I read numerous post that do NOT use the OEM battery.. ?? interstate or dekka seemed to be a bit preferred. I will give the new OEM battery a shot and see how long I get and this one turns out. fwiw the Ferrari roadside send a 3 rd party service in nyc area. it basically was a better version on AAA except had a flat bed.. he used a Nico boost and it started right up, anyone could have done same.

Caeruleus11, otakki and vraa like this.
  16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Good to hear you have all that sorted out. Hmmm, definitely need to think twice about having another Odyssey back in that car. Instead of getting the core charge from Interstate, I decided to have the Odyssey sit in my garage as a back-up power source for various electrical gadgets in case the power goes out...luckily didn't have to use it so far.:)

Anyone know what Noco model to get? I live out in the boondocks and spend a lot of time driving through them so I better get one even though I have AAA Premier.

17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed! I follow u guys advice and bought this tender:works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Agreed! I follow u guys advice and bought this tender:works great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  19. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Very glad to hear it was only the battery. These cars are so complex now that you need the dealer's computer to tell you if everything is OK.