Daytona Spyder prices | FerrariChat

Daytona Spyder prices

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by 400SPYDER, Sep 18, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 400SPYDER

400SPYDER F1 Rookie

Jul 7, 2004
    Kent, England
    Full Name:
    kevan
    Hi Guys

Are any of you real authoritys on Daytonas able to supply your opinions on Daytona spyder prices?

Is there much of a difference between an original spyder and a coupe that has been converted?

Cheers Kevan

:) See you down the road - with huge grins on our faces :)

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Converted coupes tend to sell in the same price range as non-converted coupes but an original Spyder should bring almost three times that amount.

3. aventino

aventino Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2003
    Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    David L
    And the coupes are so much prettier, it's a cryin' shame someone lobs the top off. Wayne, how would you value that Group 4 modified Daytona at Coys?

4. Fiat Dino 206

Fiat Dino 206 Karting

Apr 19, 2004
    Mississippi
    Full Name:
    David
    I'm not an expert on much of anything; however, there is a good article by a recognized expert in many things Ferrari in the current FORZA magazine regarding your question. The article discusses the differences in some of the "cut" cars and what to watch out for when considering a purchase.

Best wishes

5. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    I diasagree the spyder is one of the prettiest cars made by Ferrari.

6. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Wayne, as always, is right on.

Real spiders' asking prices are around $350,000 to $375,000.

7. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Steve, those photos are from the recent Concorso Italiano, no? Do you know if the car in the first photo is 14037? Did you happen to get the name and location of the owner? Thanks.

8. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Sorry Wayne i have no information on this car, though you were right about where the photos were taken.

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    In the last issue of Forza - probably not out yet on the stands - Bill Badurski, the technical chairman of FCA wrote a comparison article in which he shows all the little details between a converted spider and a real one. Very interesting read.

The part that surprises me in that article is, that I don't understand why some folks who have their cars converted don't go the extra mile. Some of the stuff is way under the hood, so that I wouldn't touch either, but Bill points out e.g. the different sun shades. Why not just get the real things and make your conversion 100%? Bill himself has a converted car, but his was done in Italy and is now as close to an original spider as you can get.

PS: I think the Daytona Spiders are some of the most beautiful cars to face the earth.

10. billb

billb Formula Junior
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jun 4, 2001
    Shorewood, IL
    Full Name:
    Bill Badurski
    I think the cost and downtime had a lot to do with why most conversions were merely chopped top cars. To do all the necessary chassis mods was a tremendous undertaking, and it was much simpler to just cut them. I've driven cars done without the chassis mods, and they can present some disturbing problems, like doors that come open going over RR crossings at speed, and tops that unlatch under similar circumstances. Anyone considering buying one without the full mod package should do a thorough test drive beforehand to see how the car behaves. As a Sunday driver, they're probaly OK, but if you really want to push the car at it's potential, that's another story.

11. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    LOL, i didn't know there was a cut coupe at Concorso Italiano...! Steve, the black Daytona in your first picture is a conversion; i spent a good amount of time, eye-balling a yellow Spyder, swearing it was a conversion when it, in fact, was a real Spyder... :)

12. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Hi mate, how can you tell the difference?

13. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The black Daytona (Spyder) has the plexi nose and there is only one like that-the Fly Yellow early show car. The rest were done new with pop-up headlights.
    ch

14. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Cheers mate, so you mean there is only one spyder with the plexiglass nose then.

15. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Steve, Rounder's right; all factory Daytona Spyders have pop-up headlights; for me, it's one of the easiest and first ways to spot a cut conversion... If it's got a plexi-glass nose, it's not a real Spyder...

...however, Rounder's mention of the yellow show car is the first i've ever heard; the learning NEVER stops...

If you get Forza over there across the pond, check out the most recent issue, November, Number 57; there's a great article in there (by one of FerrariChat's own, Bill Badurski!) on how to spot a cut Spyder from a factory original...

16. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    12851 was made with a plexi nose, by the factory. It was converted to pop-up headlights by the factory before they sold it, then it was later converted back to the plexi-glass nose...

Even on Sundays i learn something new. :)

17. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    Carb, IIRC, it was pale yellow, no? And didn't Andy Cohen own it when it was black/covered lights? Mebbe I'm old, but that's what I remember.

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    As always, additional info here.

19. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    OK, I'm not completely losing it. But...I have seen a Daytona spyder in same pale yellow as the NART spyder and the 330 GTS that was at Concorso. Giallo Fly really was a racing color, and was not very prominent on road cars until 70's. I cringe when I see 275GTS/250's in this color. I am not sure that Fly is correct for 275GTB/4's, but you see quite a few that color. Bleah, IMO.

20. mccprivate

mccprivate Karting

Jan 15, 2004
    Real Daytona Spyders have three switches on the bottom row. Most Daytona conversions have four because of the rear window defroster. Many do not go to the trouble of changing the dash to represent only three switches that the original Daytona Spyders had.

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Correct; and authorized EURO Spyders only have TWO toggle switches; that third one that only the US cars have is for hazard/warning lights... So if you come across a Spyder that only has three toggle switches, check to make sure it's a US car and not a cut Euro car... :)

22. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Lee, i'd have to check that out as i don't know off the top of my head... :)

23. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Thanks guys, you learn something new every day, so the photo below is the only one ever made.

24. Boxer 512

Boxer 512 Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 5, 2004
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Seb King
    No, It's the only 'real' plexiglass spyder model ever made - and even this one was converted to pop-up lights by the factory before being sold, but as someone as already pointed out, it has subsequently been converted back to a plexiglass model.

Seb

25. Fan512bbi

BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    Sorry Seb, what i meant was this is the only plexiglass one made.