Daytona owner's pouch on Ebay -watch this! | FerrariChat

Daytona owner's pouch on Ebay -watch this!

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by synchro, Feb 13, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nerodino

nerodino Formula 3
    BANNED

May 19, 2005
    Suffolk UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    I have been watching this, and do you know what?...
    I've decided to put my Dino wallet and books in the safe! My wife thought i was being a pratt as usual until i showed her the recent events on e-bay regarding this kind of literature. It's getting to the stage that i dare'nt even thumb through my books for information in case a page falls out and i go into cardiac arrest!

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Not so long ago there was a replica of such a pouch on ebay. It went for a few hundred bucks and looked exactly the same. Who's to say these things are even authentic?
    :)

3. NYCFERRARIS

NYCFERRARIS Formula 3

Mar 2, 2004
    I went to a show in S. Fl with my 308 and had some overheating problems...I took it into a mechanic (on Dixie Hyway Ithink) and the car had the original tools, wallet, manual and trouble light...I thought to take them out of the car withme to the hotel room but the girl I was with thought I was nuts, why take tools and your car manual into the hotel room ...ugh! So I left them and they were gone when I picked up the car..mechanic "knew nothing about it" but promised he would look around and if they weren't in the shop he would try and get me replacements...(sure thing) sad , but those in the know strip these off the car..Yes, they can even get lifted if you display them at shows...it is nuts..anything with that horsey...people lose their minds

4. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I have a separate non original toolset in my car to work with. Original sets and manuals are at home. For the reasons you describe I don't even take them to a car show.

5. synchro

synchro F1 Veteran

Feb 14, 2005
    CHNDLR
    Full Name:
    Scott
  6. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    Wow! Thats just nuts. Heck, perhaps I should start driving my Daytona as a daily and finance the maintenance by selling off this sort of silly stuff?

Terry

7. Glassman

Glassman F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

I'm starting to wonder if some of you guy's are suffering from the " I'm not worthy" sindrome. You have fabulous cars, and the jewlery that goes along with them is becoming valuable. Just let it go and appreciate the fact that you had the insight to buy when the time was right. Why not put your original tools and pouches away? For gods sake, a set of Craftsman sockets beats the hell out of the original tools any day of the week.

8. tifosi12

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I think it is all about concours and have that extra point over the competition. I was watching the Daytonas getting judged at FCA's Nationals last year and every wrench counts.

9. dm_n_stuff

dm_n_stuff Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

It's not just that. There's a sense that these items are just going to get more expensive, and that now is the time to buy.

Well, actually 18 months ago was the time to buy.

It's going to make a significant difference in the sale value of these cars going forward.

If a full set of dino books and tools is $15K, then that's value added, or subtracted, from your car should you ever sell.

same applies to the other cars out there. There's a 250PF on ebay for sale right now. IT has no books or tools. If you think to ask, and pretty much any half savy prospective buyer will, it knocks down the value of the car.

If it's worth $115K with all the books and tools, it's worth under $100K without them.

Tom S, I believe, had a 250 series car for sale that he offered at two distinctly different prices, one with tools, one without.

DM

10. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i have to agree about these values. they are crazy. however, we are talking about, for the most part, people who have achieved what they have due to high degree of neuroticism. if you are going to spend this much on the car, you want.........whatever else it is as well. why do we always see people spending more on a restoration than the car is worth? passion, pure and simple. we want to enjoy the car, yes, but we also want to obsess about them as well.

i don't see these items getting cheaper for one major reason, where can you buy them at. other than ebay and the occasional private sale, they aren't plentiful. $10k for a set of daytona books, crazy!!! - but that's the market.