DAYTONA 500 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

DAYTONA 500

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by PhilNotHill, Feb 18, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. alan

alan Formula 3

Apr 17, 2004
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Alan
    Thats the first time ive seen the Daytona 500, and i have to say i really enjoyed it, particularly the last 100 laps, poor old mark Martin, i think he got a slighly bum deal, what with the yellow not being thrown when everyone was crashing and he still had the lead.
    But overall that was a great Daytona to choose as my first.I guess it was on over here because of Montoya participating, not unlike the Mansell years in CART when it was easy to catch the race here in the U.K.
    These days im not even sure where to look to catch a champ car race in the U.K.
    P.s. any one got a link to Clint Bowyer's crash because it was all happening at the end, they didnt really cover the incident on TV here , they just showed the car sliding on its roof.

2. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Awesome doesn't even begin to describe it. If that had been the finish from "Talladega Nights" everybody had said, well it's just a movie. Here life was stranger and cooler than fiction.

3. Westworld

Westworld Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 18, 2004
    I just think the argument was the actual rules of NASCAR, and did they follow them as the are written?

4. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
  5. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    It is easy to see why Montoya would be frustrated. He had his car hooked up in qualifying, had mechanical problems in the 150, and then had handling problems during the 500. I think he did a good job to finish 19th and keep the car out of all the trouble during that race.

JPM will win be a race winner this season, for certain.

6. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I really love to watch NASCAR's superspeedway races, especially Daytona. It seems like every year it never fails where there's a dramatic, tense shootout to the finish. Anyone who criticizes the sport as "just driving and turning left" can't possibly watch the incar footage of these guys bouncing around through the banking, inches apart, going 190 with the setting sun glaring through the windshield and say it's not racing. No true racing fan could fail to feel the intensity of a situation like that.

7. rossofiorano355

rossofiorano355 Karting

Dec 22, 2003
    NOLA - Bham
    Full Name:
    Ron

+1 - First NASCAR race I watched start to finish - great entertainment!

8. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    The following is F1 results I got from Wikikpedia (sp?)

MONTOYA
    2001 Williams 6th/31pts 1 win
    2002 Williams 3rd/50pts 0 wins
    2003 Williams 3rd/82pts 2 wins
    2004 Williams 5th/58pts 1 win
    2005 McLaren 4th/60pts 2 wins
    2006 McLaren 8th/26pts 0 wins

RAIKKONEN
    2001 SAUBER 10TH/9PTS 0 wins
    2002 McLaren 6th/24pts 0 wins
    2003 McLaren 2nd/91pts 1 win
    2004 McLaren 7th/45pts 0 wins
    2005 McLaren 2nd/112pts 7 wins*
    2006 McLaren 5th/65pts 0 wins

My conclusion is that Montoya was better until 2005 when they both joined the same team, McLaren. In 2005 Kimi was way better with over double the points and 7 wins to 2 wins for JPM. Too bad Montoya left in the middle of the 2006 season. He is a great driver and it would have been interesting to see what he could accomplish.

I would guess that Kimi will finish the year higher in the standings in F1 than JPM will in NASCAR. I know this is oranges and apples but consider:

Kimi has been in F1 for 6 years. this is JPM's first year in NASCAR.
    Even though Kimi is with a new team, Ferrari came in 2nd in the constructor's championship last year. They are a very good team.

I am not a betting man, but if I were, I would bet that Kimi will finish higher in the standings in F1 than JPM will finish in NASCAR. This has to be adjusted to percentages because F1 has so few teams and cars. For instance, if you have 22 teams in F1, finishing 11th is the 50th percentile. If NASCAR has 45 cars, when you finish 11th your are 24.4% which is better percentage wise than F1. More apples to apples.

Any takers?

9. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    +1

Imagine Kimi in the Ferrari, Alonso in the McLaren, and JPM partnered with HK in the Renault...

10. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
    That's a no-brainer -- easily 50% of the F1 teams are hopelessly uncompetitive. NASCAR is a much tougher environment for any driver to excel.

11. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC

Realisticly there are only two drivers who will contend for the WDC this year, Alonso and Kimi. There are pretenders but longshots at best.

In NASCAR there are easily a dozen drivers at a minimum who are legitimate threats to win the Nextel Cup. A more reasonable wager would be will JPM win Rookie of the year, will he win a race this season, and/or will he make the final 12 in the race for the cup? Those are more interesting questions.

Personal I feel the first two are a definite and the third a possibility but much less certain.

12. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Well, I have to agree with you. Usually in F1 there are only 3 or 4 teams that are competitive. Guess I'm not smart enough to really follow more than that.

No Brainer thy name is Phil. :)

NASCAR put on a great show at the Daytona 500. I am really looking forward to the season. Hope Jeff Gordon (24) gets his act together. Cheaters NEVER win though.

I hope JPM does well. He is a great driver. Dodge did not do as well as Chevy who killed everybody else. Also, hope Toyota gets their act together.

13. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

the history of stock car racing is long and storied...one of the best cheaters of all time was jr. johnson. my good friend tiger tom pistone had told me that "we all cheated but junior was the best".

good stuff!!!

14. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    while not a NASCAR nor oval racing fan, I have to admit that was one hell of a race! I thought the colors did a great job too.

15. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Didnt get to see the race but saw clips on Speed afterwards.

Real big of JPM to blame his crew crief for his inability to put the car into reverse properly. Cultivating those relationships early in the season. So very wise.
    I think he's just holding back. After all he WAS a F1 winner and thus one of the elite.
    Racin against Cooter and company should be a cake walk.
    He's just settin them boys up. Clever fellow.

16. JoTeC

JoTeC Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Full Name:
    Joe Hullett
    I was wondering when that was coming... JPM may be a great driver but wielding a 3500 lb monster around is not easy. "Cooter and company" is not how I view the new NASCAR. I think if you put the entire 2007 driver line-up in a picture, it would look like a cover of GQ magazine. Even "Boss Hog" would be impressed with the revenue generated by NASCAR. :)

17. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    that's something you can clearly see during the race from any in car camera- rush hour bumper to bumper josttling at close to 200mph.

JPM is still JPM-a whining cry baby. I had thought he might have changed going to NASCAR, nope.

18. crazynova23

crazynova23 Formula Junior

May 2, 2005
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    Honeslty the only 2 races I see JPM having even a chance of winning this year are Infineon and Watgin's Glen. Even there though, hustling a huge car like that around isnt going to help him, so hes not in for a cakewalk anywhere. Theres even a good chance he wont get rookie of the year this year either.

19. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Yes JPM is still a whiner. A good driver but a whiner none the less. He is seen as not a team player. It does not serve him well.

Tragic really.

20. barbazza

barbazza Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 10, 2006
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    I wish him the best. I hope he wins 10 championships and makes a billion dollars. Just as long as he never comes back to F1 and I never have to watch him again! Good luck JPM and glad you're gone...

21. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    By definite, do you mean "a definite possibility," or "definitely going to happen?"

If it's the latter, I hate to break it to you, but I don't see him winning RotY. Ganassi hasn't been *truly* competitive, week-in, week-out, for several years. By competitive, I mean a threat to win any given week like the Hendrick and Roush cars. This year looks to be that way for Richard Childress Racing (RCR).

Another thing not in JPMs favor is the fact that there are two rookies already garnering all the media attention - David Gilliland, the 500 pole sitter, and that feller who slid acrosst the finish line on his roof....

22. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    Really? Who do you know on the team? The folks I know who work for the NASCAR team all like having him around and find him easy to deal with.

23. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Sorry. I meant a definite possibility, obviously. Everything is speculation until the chequered flag drops.

Just about every racing publication agrees with me on the first two, including a significant number of current NASCAR drivers, Tony Stewart and Jeff Gordon among them. I am a JPM fan and am obviously talking my position, but I figure the experts are in a better position to assess his chances and, since they agree with me, I am comfortable with my assertion.

24. Senna3xWC

Senna3xWC F1 Rookie

Nov 30, 2006
    NYC
    Chris:

Don't bother arguing with him, you'll have better luck getting a sensible response from a soap dish. If JPM was the divisive whiner that phil seems to think he is, then Ganassi would hardly have hired him back.

25. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    “It started really bad," he related.

"We were really tight (understeering), and we were struggling. The car was so bad, and I don't know what happened.

“Once we started running good we got to the pits and my crew chief told me to go into reverse (gear).

“When I went to get out of gear it got stuck between two gears and it broke half the gearbox.

“The transmission had second, and when I went to third it just broke it in pieces. I got fourth and that was it.

“I was lucky to get a good run on the last restart.

“It's a shame.”

Sounds to me like JPM is blaming everybody but himself.