Daytona 500 thoughts | FerrariChat

Daytona 500 thoughts

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RedNeck, Feb 27, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I've been a NASCAR fan all of my life, and I have to say I've seen a lot of good and bad changes. Now that I'm over the disappointment of my driver getting wrecked when finally driving a car worth a crap and having a decent run (coupled with Atlanta's "performance" a few weeks ago), I have to say that the "stages" didn't turn out to be as big of a deal as they were made out to be. It was a wreck-fest, but nothing happened at the end of the "stages", they were only planned cautions at best, that changed strategies. The rest of it was typical Daytona. We may see more differences at more difficult tracks but the changes were largely inconsequential.

The damage policy, on the other hand, is pointless. If a car can be fixed and able to make minimum speed, why can't it be out there? If I was sponsoring a car, I would be monumentally pissed. I'll be at Talladega, and there is a possibility of having 10 cars on the track when all is said and done. Who wants to see that?

I was glad to hear that it was a sold out crowd, attendance has been embarrassing the past few years, and when Bristol isn't even selling out, then yes, changes are needed, although I'm not sure they are moving in the right direction.

The other big difference was the Monster Girls, a lot of people seem to have a problem with them and it seems to be a big deal. Honestly, I think if the uniforms were a different color they would look less "menacing". Scantily clad girls and NASCAR have always gone together, just not sure that the world was ready for black leather. They've been moving away from the redneck/good ol' boy image for years and I'm not sure it is completely working. Hopefully Clint's hillbilly ass is able to stick around..

2. I quit being a "fan" when they stopped using real car templates. I still watch, but the enthusiasm is gone. If I miss one (many these days), I really don't care. :shrug: