Daytona 24h predictions, race, etc... | FerrariChat

Daytona 24h predictions, race, etc...

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by jknight, Jan 24, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Here's some links for the race:

live timing http://www.grand-am.com/livetiming/
    entry list http://www.grand-am.com/rolex/schedule/entrylist.cfm?eid=863
    schedule of events http://www.grand-am.com/assets/2009Rolex24OfficialSched2.pdf
    Eurosport 2 schedule, all UK time, is:
    Sat 21.30-23.00
    23.15-24.00

Sun 13.30-14.30
    18.30-19.00
    20.00-21.00

I was VERY delighted to see Brumos Porsche #58 and David Donohue take pole position 40 years after his dad won the 24hr race (back in the good 'old days). I'm cheering for them for overall - fantastic slate of drivers...go Antonio!!! Penske keeps his race car number of 7 and only has TWO drivers for the 24 - definitely reinforces the quality of his works drivers from the RS Spyder! I think Ganassi has met his match this year and the run of dominance may tumble this year. On other sites, there'd be bets on the number of laps before Krohn wrecks the car! it's already happened in either practice or qualifying, I don't remember. Case where the team owner needs to step out of the cockpit and hire a driver.

GT front, I was glad to see the #70 SpeedSource RX-8 on pole again and I'm pulling for them for the GT win. The win would be a most fantastic way for Sylvian Tremblay to pay honor to his wife lost in a car accident. The TRG #67 and Farnbacher #87 have the best driver line-ups and should be challengers to the proven Mazada.

I'm not a real fan of the fugly DP cars and the NASCAR in another costume racing but perhaps the three month void of ALMS and LMS has this "warm-up" getting one's racing blood flowing to what will be the BEST sports car event in 2009 in the US in less than two months!

Carol

2. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Grand Am's entry list had Roger with car #7 and car #16 - not running #7; #16 with Ryan Briscoe joining Bernhard/Dumas - nevertheless, this should be an awesome trio.

Carol

3. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's the best list I have found but it still has some mistakes. The 01 Ganassi and the Penske cars certainly the favorites. No rain expected. Anything but a Porsche in GT is an upset. Did you know Penske is doing the entire GA season?

4. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    hi Michael, yes I knew he is running the entire season. I strongly suspect since the RS adventure was for only 3 years that he would continue his association with Porsche in GA until the Porsche LMP1 comes into fruition in 10 or 11. I think he may clean house in GA. He has the car, drivers and ambition to not settle for second place.

5. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Do competitors need to qualify to get on the grid ? I've noticed car #31 didn't post a time yet seems to be on the grid and car #34 practiced in session 5 yet didn't post any qualifying times. Not sure how it all works.....my apologies.

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    +1, Penske will be stout this year, but I wouldn't count out Ganassi (or a few others). Grand Am's strategy of low-cost, close-quarters road racing is looking pretty smart in this economy.

Great to see David Donahue win the pole! looking forward to a great race.

7. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael

Hi, see you guys at Sebring. If the fields are going to get thinner as the season goes on, better not miss it. I hope you have the pre-race on. They are getting ready to interview Danica.

At some point a new thread with spoiler will be needed for those folks who want to watch this Thursday.

8. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Starting at the back?

9. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Hi Isobel - glad to be chatting on the same event with you! I don't follow the series but I do know that there was qualifying on Thursday and then another qualifying (possibly night) but from the results I saw the other day on an foreign endurance racing site I frequent, there were times/posting and David Donohue had the pole. I am very happy for him. The list on the GA site was a bit different that the link Peter posted. On the qualifying times the Crawford team had no time posted...who knows.

You coming to Sebring?

Carol

10. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #10 jknight, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    OT - Michael...no word yet on Audi hospitality but as soon as I hear I'll call you. Yes, pre-race is on. We were headed to Stock Show in FTW early this am but it was 37 degrees and 22 mph N wind so sitting in the house with beer in hand instead. Saw the interview. Not many spectators in the stand - did you see the open grid.

Hey...Dario has hair, wonder where your hat lady is?? Need to email Kaye (Audi) to see if she's watching (she's Marino's manager again this year).

How about some of the short shots of the good 'ole Daytona 24's when the cars were "individuals" - especially the Porsches and 333sp - pretty good.

Carol

A trip back in time with the starter - Brian Redman and visions of 917's dancing!! oh yeah.. this series doesn't start them all at the same time...that's no fun.

11. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    GREEN GREEN GREEN!

always love the start of Daytona 24, its the beginning of the racing season to me!!! :D

12. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Hi Chas! Shades of the Spyder with the Penske team....color me gone!

13. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    yep, but its early... :)

14. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    So Penske going to use just Bernhard and Brisco? For 24 hrs.

15. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    No - the other Penske Porsche weapon is driving too - Romain Dumas. The GA Daytona entry list was jacked up. We also know just how good the Penske pit crew is too. Good to see your #6 back up there - dang he just passed up Dixon.

Wonder if GA has rules about unbuckling belts coming into a pit stop? any idea?

Carol

16. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Nice to see Scott and Ed get some good press on the possible Ferrari engine development in DP with Steve Dinan doing the work...

Go Cort!

17. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    Don't think so.

Timo out of the car after a double stint, Romain in!

18. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    #18 jknight, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2009
    Penske driver change ..out goes Romain. Could there be some sort of fuel delivery issue with their pit stops coming in about 45 minute increments? hope not.

Did you guys catch the comment about possibly a Ferrari V8 for the DP's? please no....ALMS or LMS yes - that would mean LeMans, no NASCAR.

19. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    thanks for the info Pete - I remembered some flap about Peugeot at LeMans and unbuckling early. Are you listening to the fantastic interview with Brian Redman??

20. yzee

yzee F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2005
    Bodegata
    Full Name:
    Michael
    That's a new motor in the Penske P car. Up to 4L from 3.6L Faster for sure but fuel problems like this and their going backwards fast. Can't be mileage as the Brumos car has the same new motor. 6-8 laps longer to stop. Hurley Haywood is listed as a driver for Brumos. How many of these has he run. A bunch. Probably the oldest guy out there too.

21. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    How about Andy Wallace? not a spring chicken!! Did you see the interview with Roger? he says he thinks they got it licked - I wouldn't be surprised if tomorrow we still see Penske/Brumos/Ganassi still battling each other. Glad to see both Mazda's back.

22. ProCoach

ProCoach F1 Veteran
    Owner

Sep 15, 2004
    VIR Raceway
    Full Name:
    Peter Krause
    #22 ProCoach, Jan 24, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  23. jknight

jknight F1 Veteran

Oct 30, 2004
    Central Texas
    Peter - very nice photo.

Where's Michael - his #6 is out in the lead right now! The GA live timing is extremely primative - going to have to find something else in a couple hours!

Anyone else watching in HD getting a crappy snowy picture quite a bit?? It's not on any other HD channels.

24. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Brian Redman was a keynote speaker at the STL region SCCA meeting years ago, it was an awesome event. great guy, great character, great career.

25. URY914

URY914 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Temple Terrace FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    What is the red light for that you can see in the car's windshield? All the cars seem to have one.