Cut Wire on my Mondial | FerrariChat

Cut Wire on my Mondial

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by jamesdean, Apr 22, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jamesdean

jamesdean Rookie

Mar 22, 2009
    Horseheads N.Y
    Full Name:
    Dave
    #1 jamesdean, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    On the driver front side of my 88 Mondial i found 2 wires(one red/one red and black) they are both inside the same sheath and run together
    and run up and exit into the inner fender where the front wiring harness exits also i havent traced it any farther than that.The two wires
    are long enough to make it about the middle of the two electric fans.Help Please

Dave
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. finnerty

finnerty F1 World Champ

May 18, 2004
    #2 finnerty, Apr 22, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2009
    You are referring to the wires inside the small sheath, separate from the main harness, in your top photo, correct?

If so, I wouldn't worry about them --- as they are clearly not OE, and they are disconnected.

My guess is someone added those at some point either ----

(1) to supply power (from under the dash somewhere) to added-on, after market fog / driving lights or perhaps an alarm system, which are probably no longer on the car, either?

OR

(2) to tap into battery power (from the front of the car) and run back under the dash to power the radio (with a direct battery source, which is a common thing to do) or some personal widget (cell phone charger, radar detector, IPOD, etc.)

Look at the battery connections and see whether those wires are also attached directly to the positive terminal ---- if so, disconnect them at the battery. Also, it would be a good idea to trace them back to whatever source of power they are attached to and disconnect them. Not a big deal, but as they flop around they may one day short to a ground (if they are live) and cause a headache (or worse :)).

3. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe

4. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    I am trying to remove the wiring harness from the engine compartment from my 85 Euro Mondial QV. The engine is out and everything is disconnected. I am looking for a molex or multi-pin connector that will allow me to remove the engine harness and work on it on the bench. As far as I can see, all the wires from the trunk and engine compartment go into the passenger compartment on the driver side but I see no way to disconnect just the engine harness. Is this possible? Am I missing something? thanks for the help - Joe

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The figure of the harnesses on the "Electrical System" page of the SPC can sometimes give a clue about where the pluggable/unpluggable connectors are located:

https://www.ferrariparts.co.uk/diagram/ferrari/mondial-qv-coupe-cabriolet/123-electrical-system

(But my guess is it will be way too much labor to do so as there may be a lot of branches running to many places, and the wiring gets installed very early in the assembly process.)

6. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Thanks Steve - I had checked those diagrams thinking the same thing - that there would be some reference to a multi-pin connector but no luck thusfar...I also have most of the interior out so I will keep looking. Seems crazy that Ferrari provided no means to disconnect the engine and trunk harnesses from the main harness...BTW if those prices are right on Maranello Classic Parts, the engine harnesses that they list seem reasonably priced - Joe

7. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Is #8 the harness that you want to remove? And which harness number are you calling the "main harness"?

8. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Steve - yes, I'd like to remove #8 which are all the wires in the engine compartment except those that are on the sub-frame (which has its own separate harness). Sounds like maybe you have an idea?

9. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    No, unfortunately just more sure that it would be really difficult :(. I believe the connectors at the dash board end of harness 8 are shown in your photo:

but the branches of harness 8 that go over to the passenger footwell and RH side of the engine bay won't be easy to dig out.

10. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    Some people dont half like the easy jobs.

11. 85QVEuro

85QVEuro Formula Junior

Jan 15, 2021
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Steve - that makes sense...I will be working on the car tomorrow and wanted to try to get some advance input so your responses are very much appreciated. I'll report back on whether this is doable, or "half easy" as Mike says or not worth the effort (in which case I will spend 1/2 day in the engine compartment sorting the wiring out)