Custom Bike | FerrariChat

Custom Bike

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by whart, Oct 31, 2003.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    So, after much looking, i decided that the standard cruisers are not for me; my friend's Fatboy is quite nice, but he has spent well over 40k to make that bike what it is. Since i have been taken by this sort of pre-war II German blacked-out fat-tracker, combined with the elegance of the Brough and Vincent, but want something modern, comfortable and rideable, i'm going to work with a local guy who can help me design and assemble what i have in my mind's eye. Think one of Chica's choppers, like the Ether, combined with various metals and metal finishes, and we'll see. Some of the work i have seen is just amazing, and i want this beast to look industrially elegant, in an almost brass-era meets ducati monster on steroids concept. I'll take some pictures as it develops. It should be fun, and far cheaper than building a car from scratch.

2. MarkPDX

MarkPDX F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Apr 21, 2003
    Gulf Coast
    Sounds very cool but what happened to the Confederate Hellcat idea?

How about one of these... :D
    [​IMG]
    www.amenmotorcycles.com

3. West777

West777 Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2003
    That looks like one bad-ass bike. A custom I really liked was the O.C.C. Kody Project. Man that was a nice bike, and designed by a 15yr. old! I couldn't believe it.

4. beast

beast F1 World Champ

May 31, 2003
    Lewisville, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Guess
  5. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Did a little research on the Confederate. The new bike, priced at 55k dollars, is pretty garish looking; the older series one bikes are more straightforward. The company had gone bankrupt, and burnt alot of folks in the process. The owner, Matt Chambers, seems to have no interest in supporting the "old" bikes, ie those built up to 2001.
    I hooked up with their former west coast distributor, who was responsible for modifying the bikes in a number of ways, including a 240 rear end, better seat, brakes, etc. That's the one to have. They even located a guy in NYC who had one and was thinking of selling it. Unfortunately, he got cold feet and decided to hang on to it. To do the "conversion" will require about 15k in parts, not including labor or fabrication; add that to the cost of a stock hellcat, say 18k, and i'm in for over thirty. At that point, i started thinking about designing the look of one myself, since the hellcat is very cool looking, but a tad aggressive in riding position; i'm more interested in something closer to a "standard." I will try to post a pic of the 240 conversion; better, yet, if you go to hellcat alley, click on the link hellcat bikes, the first couple pics show a bronze, and a black bike that were converted by the west coast guys. It was the bronze bike (that precise one) that i was chasing until the guy decided not to sell.

6. FastTalk

FastTalk Formula Junior

Aug 20, 2002
    Calabasas, CA
    Full Name:
    Adam Alexander
    Shame the hellcat didnt work out for you, I am still eyeing one myself :)

Adam

7. KennyH

KennyH F1 Veteran
    Owner

Aug 13, 2001
    NYC
    Full Name:
    Kenny
  8. whart

whart F1 Veteran
    Honorary

Dec 5, 2001
    Grandview NY
    Full Name:
    Herr Prof.
    Yep, seen that one. The later ones are supposedly better; also the Merch engine is a ? as far as reliability is concerned. I do know of a stock 2001, very clean, in New England, original owner, low miles, for around 18k if you are interested, Adam. Bike is grey with yellow wheels. Owner seemed like a straight shooter.