Cruise Caribbean/Mexico/Caymen island Recommendations? | FerrariChat

Cruise Caribbean/Mexico/Caymen island Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Gershwin, Oct 11, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    Looking for the best/most exclusive small cruise line for winter excursion. Any suggestions?

2. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    #2 Wade, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  3. Fast_ian

Fast_ian Two Time F1 World Champ

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I may be wrong, but I think those guys sort of morphed out of "Windjammer Barefoot Cruises".

If so, a *huge* "+1".

I was never one to do the same vacation twice - But did 3 with them; Absolutely fantastic experience/operation. Pretty much the perfect way to see a decent chunk of the Caribbean that the "big" cruise ships never see.

Cheers,
    Ian

4. Gmaccormack

Gmaccormack Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2010
    Oceania has some great deals these days. Flights included.

5. Gershwin

Gershwin F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2005
    Kentucky
    was there a particular clipper you liked?

6. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    Sorry, missed this.

I went to their site to see if I could recognize which ships (boats?) we'd been on; Seems they're not the same operation after all - None of the Windjammer's I did had pools on board!

With interest piqued I found that Windjammer is still around, but neither of their current fleet (of two!) is one I recognize. Even their "big" boat only takes 24 passengers with 12 crew! [Looks pretty nice though! ;) ]

I'm gonna say we had around 50-70 passengers on the ones we did; Small enough that pretty much everyone gets to know everyone over the week or two; Very nice IMO.

Even that size they go places the "big ships" can't, and that was a lot of the appeal. But, I've got to say, I'd give either of them another go when the time comes......

Cheers,
    Ian

7. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    A cruise on something small like that would be quite enjoyable I think. Never quite got the point of going on one of those giant floating hotels.

Probably because when I'm on a holiday I spend as little time possible in the hotel/pool and as much time as I can in the ocean and beach.

8. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Id rather do a bare boat charter (no crew) and have total freedom to explore. If you find a beach area or bars you like, you can stay there. Don't like a location you can move. No crew to dictate an agenda and or get in the way. Or you can up the budget and charter with a crew. Either option fits most budgets. Crew charter and you are still in control and the only people the crew needs to attend to is you! Cruise boats big or small suck!

Yacht Charters, Destinations, Types and Guides - YachtWorld Charters

9. Fast_ian

Sep 25, 2006
    Campbell, CA
    Full Name:
    Ian Anderson
    I hear you, but "you're" now responsible.

Suffice to note that "vacation" & "responsible" have never (successfully) met. ;)

We almost did that. TBH, I can't now remember the reason(s) we didn't!.....

Harsh!

As noted, I've had some truly great times on the small ones. [Never been on a big one, but those that have tend to be +ve.....]

Cheers,
    Ian

10. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Problem with even the small ones, you are with 20 to 30 other strangers. I'm a people person for work. I don't want to be one on vacation. They are not exclusive. Bare boat you can get insurance in case of mishap. Crewed small yacht isn't much more then the most exclusive cruise line.