Coolant Connections | FerrariChat

Coolant Connections

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by DanielGA, Jul 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Hello, I have a Mondial 8 with engine out and about to put back in after lots of work.

I am having some trouble identifying where the coolant hoses go. I looked at the coolant system diagram in the Ferrari manual but I seem to have an extra connection.

Attached is a picture with two connections on the engine side highlighted in blue. One is to go to the bottom of the expansion tank and the other goes to a hose that runs across the engine bay to the passengers side (and maybe to the heater for the cabin?)

However, I have one more connection left (see other picture) that ends in metal connector (maybe return line from the heater for the cabin). Maybe there was a tube from there to the engine (but I thru it away). However, where does it go?

The blue hose is the new hose I put replacing the original hose.

** Can someone send me a picture of where these connections on the driver's side of the engine go in their engine bay? **

Thanks!

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    That mystery hose is the brake vacuum line that goes to the front of the car for the brake booster. The valve in your hand is a one way check valve so that air flows only one way. I think it is 14mm in diameter so if that is the diameter, then that's it. There should be a short hose from that valve back to the engine vacuum source (on a Mondial 8, I think it is on the CIS air plenum).

3. DanielGA

DanielGA Karting

Mar 19, 2018
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Daniel A.
    Intriguing notion, but now it leaves me even more confused. A picture would be worth a thousand words...

Here are two more pics:

The one with my hand is a more complete view of the hose with the metal end. Observe it has a T earlier in the line.

The other pic is the cooling system diagram. In that I highlighted in red a cooling tube which I "presume" goes to the right blue highlighted connection in my earlier picture. If this is correct, then I do not know where the blue tube ending in the metal piece goes.

True, the brake needs a vacuum. So this means some long line connected to this metal connector from the driver's side of the engine all the way to the passenger side of the engine and then connected to the CIS air plenum .... can this be? BTW, I no longer have the CIS air plenum since I am installing EFI.

I guess I should blow some air through this mystery (after removing the metal piece) tube and see if the air comes out at the brake vacuum booster (which I would have to disconnect).

** Anybody willing to send relevant engine bay pics?

Thanks!

4. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    yes it can be and since you are doing EFI, you need to find a vacuum for the brakes or you will have no brakes.

5. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #5 Steve Magnusson, Jul 25, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
    I believe the blue circle on the left (the larger fitting on the tube) goes to the bottom of the coolant expansion tank (where tube 30 connects):
    https://www.ricambiamerica.com/car-diagrams/ferrari/v6-v8/mondial-group/mondial-8/cooling-system.html

I believe the blue circle on the right (the smaller fitting on the cylinder head) is the hot water supply for the front heater radiators (where tube 39 connects).