Congrats Jimmie Johnson.. | FerrariChat

Congrats Jimmie Johnson..

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RedNeck, Nov 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    On championship #7. I see a #8 before retirement...

Mostly excited to see Clint Bowyer back in race winning equipment next year..

2. srephwed

srephwed F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2012
    street,md
    Full Name:
    fred brown
    Nascar sucks. Did anyone notice the stands at start finish?

3. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Congrats, but YAWN. Who cares?

I agree with srephwed, NASCAR sucks. Like a lot of racing, seems like a return to AT LEAST a non-spec body would help. Boring boring boring.

4. Sorta like NASCAR bashing...boring, boring, boring. ;)

(Hint: Don't watch it)

5. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    NASCAR lost all interest for me when all the cars had to be to same spec but then I was never a oval fan anyway so no real loss.

6. Sorta like NASCAR bashing...boring, boring, boring.

7. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Well, then I'm sure you people have much more interesting things to do than reply to threads about NASCAR. I mean *****, I don't go on beauty websites and bash Oil of Olay. I happen to enjoy NASCAR

8. rmani

rmani F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    RMani
    Horrible. I try to respect all racing but nascar really is the pits (pun intended)

9. Sorta like NASCAR bashing...boring, boring, boring.

10. GTS Bruce

GTS Bruce Pisses in your Cheerios

Oct 10, 2012
    Orchard Park NY
    Full Name:
    Bruce Roche
    Grueling season. Many track variations. Spec cars. Close racing. F1 could learn more than a few things. Indycar uses the same type of format and their RACING is better than F1. F1 : A couple of cars up front. followed by a couple more and a couple more and the rest not in the same time zone. GTS Bruce

11. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I'm sorry, but I'd like F1 and NASCAR to not really take much from each other. Racing fans lose with a lack of variety.

I really enjoy the car development of F1, not knowing what improvements have been made, and watching the grid order slowly shape up. Granted, NASCAR is not near the spec series you may think it is, there ain't nothin' stock 'bout a stock car. Look at Alex Bowman's performance in the Hendrick #88 compared to his past history in other cars. Not all stock cars are created equal. The development cycle in NASCAR is more subtle, but still there.

NASCAR and F1 both share a similar problem, they are making attempts to be something they are not, and it is losing their traditional fan base. The new fans are not coming in to replace at a rate to make it worth while.

Flying cargo jet's around the rule while claiming to save a few grams of fuel per lap is complete and utter large four legged Hindu reverenced male mammal excrement.

NASCAR changing to a "green" fuel that requires the unused fuel to be disposed instead of used is wasting more fuel than actual petrol. They have these nice green "X% bio fuel", but the waste is increased massively due to potential moisture contamination. The re-fuel tanks themselves are left open during removal under the new system, spilling extra fuel at each pit stop.

Its ridiculous to anyone with an engineering background to see F1/NASCAR "save fuel" in when just not having the fans show up, or the team's, would save even more.

Both series suffer from a tightly controlled don't offend anyone so never say anything of substance environment.

I have enjoyed the 2014-2016 F1 car's more than any other period that I have seen, however, I'm quite young in comparison to most of this user base. I only go back a few years before the V8's. Its mostly the aerodynamic difficulties the 2014-2016 rules have created that have made it so enjoyable. They removed the TC's, and have made continual efforts each season to cut the rear downforce, putting more into the driver's hands. The car's also have a lot more suspension movement, and muted vs muted video are far more exciting to watch than what came before.

12. Oh Boy! Jump for joy!

Spec cars. Yabba dabba doo. :rolleyes:

(Hint: Stick to NASCAR and Indycar; leave tech for the rest of us that enjoy it. Thank you.)

13. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    #13 william, Nov 23, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2016

I don't know about NASCAR, but F1 never claimed to adopt the hybrid formula to "save fuel"..

Why the hybrid formula was chosen by manufacturers was to showcase the progress made in engine efficiency, energy recovery and allow racing to develop these technologies quicker, for tomorrow's vehicles.

If really F1 wanted to "save fuel", it would have voted itself out of existence and saved millions of gallons of aero fuel transporting the circus to 21 different locations!

I know that some people refuse to see further than the end of their nose, but things won't be the same in future no matter, and the days of the noisy, polluting and inefficient combustion engine are numbered.

14. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006

Some truth there.

In a specs series, all the driver have the same chance to win, and there is often more action during the races.

But, many F1 fans, I have found, are not really interested in better racing, but only watch to see the favourite team or driver win.

If that doesn't happen, they criticise the racing, the cars, the rules. But if their favourite wins, it doesn't matter how.

15. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Spec racing, only really exists if you randomly draw for car's from a fleet from event to event. Anyone works on that car, you can be darn sure they are improving it as far as they can without getting caught.

16. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

a spec series controlled by the folks in the fake wood paneled office down in daytoner:)

17. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

dale is gone. jeff gone. tony gone. dodge gone. yunior may be gone...nascar still has danica tho:)

I actually would watch the start and finish of nearly each race. this year that changed. I may have seen 3 or 4 events...daytoner, sears point and the glen.

the series has long since jumped the shark I think. sad:(

18. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    Its a points system that creates a lack of purpose/releveance to 0.025 of what goes on. Only one out of 40 on the track get a result that really matters anymore. That is slightly off, as they still have to be top 30 in points, but given not every 40 cars on the track actually runs all races, its fairly close. A few do get in on points, but as they may have better points finishes than the winners, its a non story.

Aside from the points, I think the other problem is the removal of ride height rules. I think NASCAR may have thought "new track records" would add more excitement, but the car's look more like slot cars than race cars in how they move around the track. They need to be able to clear a parking curb, and go over a speed bump without contact.

The roughest tracks are still ok, but anything with a smooth surface doesn't really use braking, just maybe a lift of the throttle, or part throttle. Less driving in the equation.

Some of their other errors are not recoverable for decades, specifically the way they've turned their drivers into robots via an extreme set of fines in short succession after moving to the Gen 6 car. It's removed any desire to watch post or pre-race interviews. Losing integrity in an obvious way, 13 cars in a 12 car chase format, has also hurt them badly. Lots of conspiracy theorists now have something of substance to point to. That can't help at all.

19. BoulderFCar

BoulderFCar F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2004
    Asheville, NC/Ft Lauderdale
    Full Name:
    Tom
    I was at the Homestead race on the Start/Finish. At least in the big center sections, all seats were full. They have eliminated all the back straight seating. It's not the buzz it once was but I still like to go to a NASCAR race every so often. It's still a thrill when they come around on the second lap still in a pack and three wide. Great sound.

The thing that I think sucks is how many races are stopped with 5-10 laps remaining. I understand what they are trying to accomplish but it's maddening.

I'm going to Daytona and staying on a private boat which should be a blast.

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Sitting back, lacing hands behind head and strictly observing.

BHW

21. Huh? Are we talking about NASCAR or F1 here? 3,400 pound tanks look like slot cars???

It ain't the ride height regarding braking and driving, it's the banking, always has been.

22. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Don't you have anything better to do? NASCAR teams are as sophisticated as any in racing, winning a championship is difficult and many folks enjoy the racing. You don't-go somewhere else to troll. The cars handle well and they race on some tracks without banking. I lost interest in F1 years ago-yet I don't bother the folks in that thread.
    Congrats to JJ on number 7.

23. Are you okay? Maybe another drink is in order. ;)

edit: I guess you haven't read any of my previous posts. I'm a defender of NASCAR...not my favorite venue, but I love auto racing in it's entirety. My asking a legit question and stating a fact is hardly "trolling". And, I don't need the education "The cars handle well and they race on some tracks without banking."; I've prolly forgotten more than you know. But thanks anyway.

24. tervuren

tervuren Formula 3

Apr 30, 2006
    I've enjoyed going to cup qualifying for years. Ever since the removal of the ride height rule, aside from hearing the car's fire up and leave pit road, its not as interesting any more.

it effects the aero, they have more grip, also less visual appeal. They did it to flatten out differences where some teams had extremely exotic suspension bushings that allowed them a competitive advantage. It worked for a few months, leveled it out a little. However, the same teams found new ways to take advantage of the rules for Aero, and its now an even bigger gap. Before, those bushings made the car more difficult to drive, the body was sliding relative to the wheels. Now its just glue and go.

25. The body was sliding relative to the wheels? Glue and go?

No mas. 'Gettin' to technical for me here....or sumpin'. :confused: