Concorso Italiano 09 | FerrariChat

Concorso Italiano 09

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by velocetwo, Jul 7, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
    Looking forward to the show this year, new site, back on the grass. Not sure the Barrett Jackson tie in is good PR for them.

2. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    I thought it was Kruse again?

3. velocetwo

velocetwo F1 World Champ

Dec 11, 2006
    Left Coast
  4. Alex Rogo

Alex Rogo Formula Junior

Jan 2, 2004
    California
    Agreed

5. xs10shl

xs10shl Formula 3

Dec 17, 2003
    San Francisco
    And now I get an email announcing that Concorso is promoting the participation of MFest, a celebration of BMW M-class cars. Hmmm . . . . that's a stretch in my mind - but hey, I'm not going anyways, so what do I care? The more the marrier I guess.

6. Itzkirb

Itzkirb F1 Veteran

Apr 30, 2005
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Kirby
    Concorso Hot Import Night Italiano

I own a M3, but I think they should have kept it to just Italian cars.

7. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3

Its pretty obvious that C.I. is going "Big Tent" inclusive to the point of ridiculous, just to supress La Dolce Vita.

8. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    oh boy here we go,its going to look like a parking lot of used cars

9. islandguy

islandguy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 12, 2007
    Northern CA & NV
    After the fiasco of two years ago I will never go again. I laughed at last year’s comments and will laugh at this year’s also.

10. SonomaRik

SonomaRik F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2006
    Sonoma, CA
    I might go. Have a friend entering three cars: Pebble, Quail and a display on the avenues.

luckily I have a place this year. as always seem to book too late.

11. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Bad move IMO.

Quail is succeeding because it is looked at as exclusive. CI really looks like an event that is willing to whore themselves out to anyone. Although, it was like that last year.....and the year before. IMO, they would have been smart to worry about QUALITY over quantity in their "first year back". Heck, they had the 288GTOs all ready to be the showcase and now there is a little patina on the bronze.

All good. I am not going anyway. I'll be spending my day at La Dolce Vita living "the sweet life" - Italian style!! ;-)

12. Choptop

Choptop F1 Rookie

Aug 15, 2004
    Carmichael, CA
    Full Name:
    Alan Galbraith
    Hell, if you want to go to a show that aint picky about the cars they let in... I know of a great show!!!! :D

13. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I know several people working directly with him and as I understand it he is committed to restoring it to a good show. I have no doubt he will make some mistakes.

I am going to give him a chance.

14. freescopesdad

freescopesdad Karting

Jun 14, 2005
    I will be at La Dolce Vita. When I emailed Jodi yesterday as to why they have not posted a participant list, I received this reply...

15. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Same here. Last year's $300 (1 car + 1 friend + $75 per person for the "concorso tarmac lunch special") was over the top. I had to sign up for something different. Call me cheap.

-mick

16. jm3

jm3 F1 Rookie

Oct 3, 2002
    United States
    Full Name:
    JM3
    #16 jm3, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    This is not just believable, but predictable.

I dont know how long before "Morgana" chimes in, but I can't support that style. Plus, the Hella Bimmer M Fest Import Daze thing is really dumb.

Morgana:
    http://ferrarichat.com/forum/showpost.php?p=138502215&postcount=271

17. irondogmike

irondogmike F1 Rookie

Sep 8, 2006
    San Diego area
    Full Name:
    Michael Tucker
    it seems like every time I go on the computer my e-mail has a message from C.I. come on every day!!!!!!!!!!!!! we are going to have this and this and that is coming and he will be there and its going to be cool and this car is 1 of 1 and very rare. you need to see this really be there!!!!!!!! from now on it goes into my spam account:p

18. BLACK HORSE

BLACK HORSE Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2004
    California - Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Rob
    +1... Yep I feel the same way.

19. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    #19 Huskerbill, Jul 17, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2009
    Ha, Morgana! Where is that clam anyway?

I wish La Dolce Vita would just post their lists. They shouldn't have anything to worry about. The group of people going to not going to CI are going for a clear reason. I don't see them changing their mind.

As I see it the two groups of event-goers are pretty clear.

La Dolce Vita Group - Sick of hoping the CI turns out well every year and then ending up disappointed and kicking themselves for believing,again, that the show would be better.

Concorso Italiano Group - Knowing the show has sucked for the past few years but thinking "This year it is going to be better. I am going to give them another chance." Or they own a BMW M3.

;-)

20. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    #20 gday, Jul 18, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
    It made it clear that they don't get it.

Thats cool. Its unfortunate that it isn't a good ITALIAN CAR show.

-mick

21. Huskerbill

Huskerbill F1 Rookie

Sep 6, 2004
    Oconomowoc, WI
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Wow. I know what I was trying to say and am sitting here trying to figure out how it came out like that. I wish I could claim I had been drinking........

Yin, save me from myself and delete that!! ;-)

22. dakharris

dakharris Two Time F1 World Champ

Jun 7, 2001
    Sleepy Hollow
    Full Name:
    Cavaliere Senzatesta
    And then there is the group that I am in. I had my fill of $75 rooms at Motel 6 selling for $275, continued disappointments from CI, getting screwed out of my lap around Laguna Seca during the Historics and the overall ripoff attitude of the otherwise lovely people of the Monterey Peninsula. Frankly, once you have seen 1,000 red Ferraris you don't need to see them again. I have been three times and I kick myself for going the second and third times. I will be playing in a golf tournament at Blackhorse/Bayonet three weeks later. I can drive my Ferrari there and enjoy all that Monterey has to offer without the attitude and crowds and at 1/3 the cost. Then, a week after that, I'm going to an event for people who drive their cars for three days and don't just look at them standing still...an entirely unnatural state, IMO.

23. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    What you may not remember is that the original Concorso always did that. There were large areas set aside for many car clubs. BMW and Porsche always had a big turn out.

If the show was still owned by the previous owner I would agree it would be a total waste to see him break his promises yet another time. The new owner has yet to show us what he is capable of. The new venue is a big improvement by itself and is temporary because of the limited time available to secure one. If there was something offered as an alternative that had any promise that might be different but so far I don't see it.

24. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    You never went when it was still a good weekend of low key events with a bunch of car people. It was fun then. The entire week has devolved into a huge multi faceted commercial enterprise. Sadly it is working and a number of people are making a good buck on it.

25. gday

gday Formula 3

Sep 10, 2004
    CA, USA - NSW, AUS
    Full Name:
    Mick
    Actually I remember when Concorso was a Italian car club event (I'm a lambo guy). And given that I recall when the FCA joined Concorso, I might suggest then that the non Italian "Corral" is relatively new.

Regardless and to get back to your point, when introduced the original Corral allowed the non Italian clubs to do their own thing set aside from the main event. As time went on, things started to get blurred to the point of the Concorso automotive swap meet effect last year.

-mick