Coil for a 1985 Mondial QV | FerrariChat

Coil for a 1985 Mondial QV

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by ctkellett, Aug 25, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    Before I buy one new, I thought I would see if anyone has one sitting collecting dust, or has anyone tried an other brand in it' s place? I mean after all it is just a coil for an electronic ignition, is it not? It is not high science I would think.

All the best,

Chris

2. Ken

Ken F1 World Champ

Oct 19, 2001
    Arlington Heights IL
    Full Name:
    Kenneth
    You don't want an old coil; they get weak over time. As far as a new one, I agree, it's not rocket science. The only specs I'm aware of is if it's internally ballasted or needs a ballast resistor, and the output which you want a good powerful one. Maybe the Lucas Sport Gold will work? Less than $40.

Ken

3. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    I think I have narrowed it down to the crank sensor for the front bank. The problem will not follow the coil switch and the Digiplex swap. All of it still fires only on the rear bank. Of course this sensor is a real pain to get to as it is under a ton of stuff. Anyone have any tips for getting at this sensor? Can anyone confirm that the wiring going to the front coil as Yellow on top and yellow/black on the bottom. The factory manual shows it one way and it is different on my car, just checking what others have. Thanks for the help!

All the best,

Chris

4. Birdman

Birdman F1 Veteran

Jun 20, 2003
    North shore, MA
    Full Name:
    THE Birdman
    Chris,

The crank sensors are notorious. One was driving me nuts with a flaky ignition in our Mondial too. You can check them and know within 99% certainty if they are toast without removing them. Pull the connector (which is readily reachable because its a foot or so from the sensor itself on the wire) and simpy check the DC resistance with a multi-tester. Each one should be in the neighborhood of 600 ohms. (anywhere from 400 to 1,000 ohm is close enough). When they die, typically they go open circuit (or close), so you would get a resistance reading between 10,000 ohms and infinity. Once I narrowed it to the sensor and not a connector, ECU or coil, it was a simple fix and the sensors are about $100 from Ferrari UK. (Thats a ridiculous price for a sensor that has nothing but a coil of wire and a magnet in it, but its well worth the price when you start the car and it runs right!)

Best of luck

Birdman

5. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    Thanks for the help, any chance I could get you to tell me the coil wiring for your QV on the front bank? Yellow or yellow/black on top?

Great help! Thanks,

Chris

6. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    Off-Topic, mildly, but due to pop as a ? sooner or later:

Are there particular favored Multi-testers?

7. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    I have a Fluke...well made and durable. Had a Radio Scrap one that set me back $100, basically junk. Failed and replaced under warranty once, and blew the protective fuses all the time (which is a pain to change all the time). I bought a Fluke and never looked back. $300 or so.

8. patpong

patpong Formula 3

Jul 6, 2004
    Bangkok, Thailand
    Full Name:
    Patpong Thanavisuth
    You want new coils and while at it, check or renew distributor rotor and cap, it makes a lot of different in power...

9. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    Well, both crank sensors ohm'ed out to the same reading (690) and now I am left without an idea of where to look next. Coils worked when switched (And also ohm'ed out OK) as did the Digiplex units, but still no spark on the front (5-8) bank. The spark cables are new, plugs are new, Cap and rotor look good. Any ideas, the wiring diagram in the service manual looks so simple. Anyone? I guess I will start over again and see what turns up.

10. Ed P.

Ed P. Formula 3

Dec 28, 2002
    Long Island
    Full Name:
    No Longer
    I see you said you switched coils, but did you try to run 5-8 off the other coil (not switching the coils, but just the wire to test it that way). It's not clear to me what exactly you meant by switching the coils.

11. ctkellett

ctkellett Karting

Jan 2, 2004
    Havertown PA
    Full Name:
    Chris K.
    Yes, I switched the front and rear coil units around and the car still only ran on the rear (1-4) bank. It is easier to switch the two coils positions as the cables are not long enough to run them to the other unit. There is still no spark coming off of the coil, I used a timing light while running to check for spark. I wonder, Do the coils pull power from the same fuse source or is it two different fuses? I have the updated 3.2 box and fuse set.