Classic BMW to host Official DFW Cars & Coffee | Page 5 | FerrariChat

Classic BMW to host Official DFW Cars & Coffee

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Bimmerista, May 16, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    not at this time, I'm not upset or moderating at this point, more just throwing it out there to gather info and my job to over think things here. It wouldn't be right of me to wait a year to start moderating without saying anything ahead. all cool for now.

2. slapshot36227

slapshot36227 Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Zach K
    Maybe you could rename this thread "DFW Cars & Coffee" and get rid of everything BMW on here, and just leave the address. I would hate to see this have to leave this forum. I know there are probably a lot of lurkers here now and in the future that may miss attending this great event if it is removed.

3. lee168

lee168 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    I have attended Crystal Cove and Cars and Coffee in Irvine many times in the last 3-4 years. I have to say that the DFW Cars and Coffee held yesterday was done wonderfully in terms of organization. The number and the variety of cars were also impressive. The facility (show parking) was spacious and accommodated this event very appropriately. Well done.

4. walters1939

walters1939 Karting

Nov 14, 2008
    Plano, Texas
    Full Name:
    David Walters
    Let's see--Classic BMW did an absolutely first class job of organizing, promoting, and hosting the event. So there reward for doing so is to have it taken away from them and moved to other dealerships who sat on their hands and did nothing. Sounds like the ideas that come out of Washington on a regular basis. No, Cars and Coffee should stay right where it is as long as Eric wants it and we should support it as fully as possible. I go to similar events around Dallas on a regular basis and this is the biggest turnout I've seen.

5. cycloneGTS

cycloneGTS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    I agree. I've yet to figure out what Classic did wrong here. I don't even think they were the originator of the first post. I loved this event, and will go again if I'm not traveling. I don't make too many car shows, but the one I looked forward to every year was canceled by Boardwalk - so why would they want another one?

6. WDR328

WDR328 Formula 3

Dec 11, 2003
    The Bugscuffle Inn
    Full Name:
    D. Rose
    Eric a great show and a beautiful facility. I was amazed at the number and variety of cars that showed up for a 1st time event.
    For the next event how about moving the coffee tent more toward the middle of the field? Look forward to next months show.

7. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    +2 I also agree about moving the coffee tent, and please consider adding Diet Coke to the selection.

8. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I don’t expect all of you to get it, but as I said people don’t think too deeply about having a cool new car event.

9. cycloneGTS

cycloneGTS Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 12, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Mike B.
    Does anyone other than you "get it"? A better way of asking might be: What don't we get? I don't want to speak for everyone, but I think we are intelligent enough to comprehend it if you tell us.

What the heck are we missing here? Even if this event wasn't posted on fchat, it would still have been a huge success.

10. planobmw

planobmw Karting

May 18, 2009
    my staff is meeting with me this morning to talk about the good, the bad and the ugly. looks like we only have 1 or 2 items to discuss, because i saw absolutely NO ugly at this event. we were not prepared for the numbers. i am glad that we had enough display space---although next time that may need to be increased by moving into the spectator parking area. i will move things around so spectators will have plenty of parking as well. you're right about the coffee area---i think there needs to be more than one and they need to be more centrally located.

just for the record---i brought this event to dallas. i coordinated everything with cars and coffee. i spent time and money making this happen. i have a great staff that wanted to do this event and loved being part of it. i did this event with NO advertising for Classic BMW. i did this event because i am a car nut. i selfishly enjoyed the hell out of it. damn that feels good. i could go on. here's my point: the litmus test is this, was the event what you, the car loving, driving, owning, collecting folks wanted? was it organized, friendly, accommodating? will you come back? will you tell your friends--hell, how many friends have you told already? that is the test.

this is a great website---i appreciate the opportunity to interact and especially the chance to properly invite all of you to the event. your feedback is wanted and needed. i have posted all of my contact info, don't be strangers.

also, please remember that my family was your ferrari dealership from 1979 to 1994---i have ferrari red in my blood.

11. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Cars, at least these type of cars, are suppose to be fun, and not require deep thought. But you are right about one thing, I don't understand why there would be any controversy in this matter.

12. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    Give me time, we're discussing this with the moderators. They're good at putting me in my place when needed. Cars & Coffee wouldn't even be on my radar if it weren't for problems with Euro Sunday. Cars & Coffee has now turned into what Euro Sunday is and there will be others in short future. Just need a consistent policy for these nationally franchised and commercially influenced events in light of sponsors that organize similar events or simply compete with partners of these events. No changes for now, so don't worry about it, please just don't disrespect me for gathering information and trying to run a business. Thanks.

13. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    Thanks Eric for stepping up to the plate and putting on this great event. Lot's of people that didn't attend have already heard about it, and will be at the next one.

I understand Rob's side of keeping his sponsor's happy, while being neutral in promoting this event. I did not see any Classic BMW promotion in this event other than the location. I think it is a great location for anyone in the Metromess to get to, and hope it is here to stay.

We will continue to support all our great F/chat sponsors, and hope you become one also.

14. 87-Countach

87-Countach Karting

Oct 12, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I think its pretty simple, but not being stated out loud.

Classic BMW is a for profit commercial enterprise. The opinion of FChat ownership (and maybe correctly so) is that Classic BMW is using the Cars and Coffee as a marketing exercise for their dealership and their products. Or that eventually the event will be used for that purpose or the purpose of selling space for promoting other products to a captive audience.

I saw no evidence of any marketing at the event other than the location itself which can be construed as marketing in and of itself.

Ferrari Chat is a for profit commercial enterprise. The opinion of FChat ownership is that Classic BMW is using the FChat forum as a free venue to advertise the above mentioned Cars and Coffee. At this time Classic BMW is not a sponsor of the site, so FChat ownership gets no benefit (money) from the Cars and Coffee Show. I am sure that if Classic BMW agreed to sign up as a sponsor at the same level as the Boardwalk group, then all would be right in Cars and Coffee land.

But then those advertising dollars have to come from somewhere, and so the event gets turned into a commercial endeavor (entry fees, promotional tents etc.) to compensate.

Classic BMW wins. Ferrari Chat wins.

Car lovers and possibly a worthwhile charity. Lose.

And the show was terrific. Eric, if your heart is truly in the right place with this thing, then you have started out in the right direction.

JMHO

15. planobmw

planobmw Karting

May 18, 2009
    Rob, no disrespect to you nor from you. Love ya man.

E

16. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I have an idea that won't cost Cars & Coffee any money and keep the free spirit of the event. I will PM.

17. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    A link to sponsor the Dallas Cars & Coffee...

http://dallas.carsandcoffee.info/sponsorship.php

Not commercial? There is also a competing car forum like FerrariChat.com on their site. I have PM'd Eric a simple partnership proposal that won't cost the hosts or participants anything. Simply I think all the online communities and car clubs that generate interest in Cars & Coffee should be recognized on their website and promotional material, nothing major.

18. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    #118 jimpo1, Jun 1, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2009
    Wow.

I keep seeing reference to this being a 'commercial' event. I witnessed NOTHING of the sort, in fact, quite the opposite. I walked around and told my son about a LOT of cars he'd never seen before. The M1, the Callaway, the CLK 63 Black Series, the Italia. At no time did I feel pressured about anything, except maybe making a contribution for my coffee! :) It was good coffee by the way.

Rob, I understand that you're trying to protect your brand and your sponsors, but I truly don't see any conflict here. I also realize that things could change in the months going forward, but assuming that Eric keeps it as it was Saturday, he'll have my vote with my regular attendance. I'm also not sure why he should be willing to give up hosting the event, after all, he's done all the legwork. In return, I'd say he gets my goodwill. If I ever buy a BMW, I'll think positively of his dealership and likely make a stop there. A fair trade.

My last thought on the show:

I LOL'd at the sign posted as I was leaving: NO BURN OUTS. :D It did NOT say NO REDLINE THROUGH 3 GEARS. ;)

19. deluboz

deluboz Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2008
    Plano,Texas
    Full Name:
    John C. Lin
    Best Show ever, Great Turn out + Excellent Staffs. As one of your customers you guys are always top notch on Customer Service & Support.

Thank you Eric and Plano BMW for the Car Show :)

20. Brangeta

Brangeta Formula 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    I'm going to tell some friends about the next one, so you can probably count on at least 5 more cars. I'll make the next one for sure if I am in town!

My only idea for a possible improvement is having something there to drink for those of us who don't drink coffee. Given the season we're in, I don't think hot chocolate would be appropriate, but perhaps lemonade?

21. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    http://dallas.carsandcoffee.info/sponsorship.php

focusing on the DFW event there is not much to fault and that's all you see, from my perspective I'm dealing with a nationally franchising Euro Sunday and Cars & Coffee who has headed in the same direction trademarking their name, asking for sponsors, and a national car forum.

I don’t know how many times I can say it, but I don’t fault anyone for not giving a rats ass about my concerns as you only care about a cool car event.

22. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    Let me get this straight, you didn't even go and you're offering suggestions as to how to improve it?

You obviously assumed there was nothing there but coffee. You assumed wrong. And just as a future reference, it's about the cars, not the 'coffee'. If you're worried about what you're going to drink, bring your own.

23. Brangeta

Brangeta Formula 3

Jan 31, 2005
    Dallas, TX
    He asked for suggestions, so I offered one. Mind your own business and don't reprimand me for something that does not concern you. :)

24. jimpo1

Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    As an attendee, a participant, and someone capable of getting out of bed on a Saturday morning, I guess I thought I had some concerns. Will be sure to bring you some lemonade for the next event.

25. kverges

kverges F1 Rookie

Nov 18, 2003
    Dallas
    Full Name:
    Keith Verges
    don't forget the cheese to go with the whine!