Chris Evans selling | FerrariChat

Chris Evans selling

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Super_Dave, Aug 14, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Super_Dave

Super_Dave Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Saw that Chris Evans is letting go of a number of cars in his collection.

Seems like he has done well on them. Is he making room / moving into additional modern cars?

Anything to do w/timing of starting on TG soon? Anyone know how many serious cars he will have remaining after this sale?

2. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
  3. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
  4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Per the second link above which I added as you were replying

‘I buy and sell cars,’ he says. ‘We have between 18 to 30 at any one time. I am addicted to cars. It’s something I’ve really had to work on like an alcoholic or a drug addict would. I know loads of blokes who have proper issues with cars. We’ll do anything for them.’

He also said once on his radio show that he enjoys buying and selling cars more than driving them.

Fair play to him if that is what he enjoys he seems to make some money from it.

5. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Yes,no matter who owns the cars,private or company,Chris has been a serial collector of Fcars for many years. His ponchon for white has resulted in repaints,and then display in his house,often in a long row behind glass ! Yes,he deals,and I believe he may be in the record book for making the biggest loss on the purchase and later sale of a car.

6. jdfelter

jdfelter Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2004
    not even close to being the biggest loser!

7. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I think there were a number of record GTOs that transacted late 80s during the previous bubble. It was Japanese buyers (mostly) that helped drive the crazy spike and at least one 250 GTO recorded a loss of $10mm in the span of about 5 years (from about $14mm in 1989 to below $4mm for the same car in 1994).

Good luck to those buying into Chris' collection today :) I think he has still done well and will do well if he isn't cycling the proceeds into more cars.

8. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Yes,that's the one Dave,I bet there are not many people out there that would admit to loosing around 10 million $ or maybe GBP£ on one purchase. It is not the only thing that Chris burnt his fingers on,however,he is a ducker and diver,so we watch with interest, whether you like him,or not,he makes some ballsey decisions,and good luck.

9. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    3909 GT

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    2377 GT (SWB California Spyder)

11. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
  12. Super_Dave

Oct 6, 2014
    USA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Not sure how much firepower Chris has to make any big purchases (until maybe his sales are complete) since my understanding is that a huge percentage of his net worth is tied up in the cars.

Seems like a fun chap living life to fullest, but I don't think he is very risk averse given his very public financial history and swings.

13. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    No capital gains tax on classic cars in the UK (nor on your principal private residence)

14. Bobj

Bobj Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2013
    UK
    There is if you are a dealer, which he has admitted he is. He also employs people to buy and sell for him. I have met one of them

15. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    If you have a business, than absolutely right, you pay corporation tax.