Chasing Classic Cars - Fail | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Chasing Classic Cars - Fail

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Hawkeye, May 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    Remember back in the '80s when it was worth watching?

2. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Somewhat OT, but I'm watching the episode of the utah collection that belongs to the step father of my wife's friend. His collection is ten minutes from my house.

3. Hotzos

Hotzos Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 19, 2004
    Parker, Colorado
    Full Name:
    Mark Gomez
    I only watch car shows with Jessie Combs!

4. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    You don't win the Riddler award twice by building kit cars-every bit the level of skill exhibited at pebble.

5. SloW8

SloW8 Formula Junior

Jan 16, 2010
    How do you define a classic car? He takes pedestrian Detroit iron and turns it into something way better than it ever dreamed of being. It isn't like he is butchering a 1 of 4 original Hemi 'Cuda convertible. (He isn't like that Glickenhouse jerk cutting up a good Enzo... :D )

Chip is a very nice person and has the amazing ability to turn a design vision into a reality. There are plenty of dudes who can fabricate and put pieces together to make something nice but his ability to visualize a complete project and make it happen is unparalleled.

On the other hand I had a run in with his dad and still feel like he is a bit of a pompous ass.

6. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    chasing classic cars is pretty much played out. almost as exciting as watching someone do their grocery shopping. boring.

7. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

IMO, Wayne seems to always screw-over the seller when making a purchase from them or or a sale for them. How many times can he miss the mark on an auction estimate.

All these highly produced car shows are loosing their luster with me. . . just to predictable and formulaic.

I do like the British shows more. I appreciate Wheeler Dealers for the insight Ed gives on fixing things and the commraderie, antics and side-splitting-laughs the 3 nuckleheads on Top Gear provide . . . although I'm starting to get bored watching all the powerslides when they test a car. There's nothing fast about going sideways around a corner.

8. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Even if Motorweek was the best car show on TV (and it obviously is NOT) I would still refuse to watch it because of one extremely irritating thing:

THE WAY THE NARRATOR TALKS!!!

9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ and how many times do we need to see the value of battery tenders....

10. norcal2

norcal2 F1 Veteran

Just watched this new show called Barn Finds...with some guy named Corky...so scripted..he pulled out a motorcycle frame that has supposedly been hidden away for years..no dust on it and the parts with it!...so far the worst scripted show I have seen so far!..at least Wayne's barn find cars had dust on them! even though the pre visits were scripted...at least American Pickers seems to be less scripted of the reality shows...

11. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Did Wayne REALLY say that the 250 GT Lusso had independent rear suspension?

12. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    #37 climb, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
    I've personally worked at car shows where Chip Foose stayed for several hours past his contracted time to sign autographs for fans. Still I don't like his designs at all. Nothing against him though.

Wayne and his show are fun to watch if for the eye candy and nothing else. I like watching his inability to act and respect that he tries but doesn't worry too much that he comes off as talentless in that area. GF likes to walk by and in a monotone way say I'm Wayne Carini and I chase classic cars. Adds charm IMO. Got nuthin' against the ads with the pretext of info..there campy.

Growing up in Annapolis, MD (MD public TV production) I loved Motorweek cuz there was nothing out there on TV but it. So I grew up with the very anal Goss's Garage and teleprompter reading Mark Davis (I think). Still watch it even though it has less charm than a Methodist church.

Best show of all IMO: Wheeler Dealers. Love all the British Nomenclature: crackin' car, squidy bits, dodgy bits, ariel, wing, bonnet etc. These two are the closest to something I could of or have done in that they buy and lightly renovate and sell. They like Wayne deal with cars I've loved/had/want.

All the shows are getting long in the tooth though. Hope something as engaging as these shows have been replaces them.

13. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    I enjoy wheeler dealers very much but it seems a bit cooked sometimes. The lessons from that show if you want to try to do the same things is:
    1) The money to be made is when you buy the car. Overpay and you will never recoup the initial outlay of cash.
    2) Do all the work possible yourself and it helps if you are a master mechanic.
    3) Get the cosmetics as close to perfect as you can. Little things like new or cleaned carpets, or a resprayed front bumper make it easier to sell. Mike is very good at buying cars that look rough but are relatively easy to bring back, most of the time.
    4) Don't worry too much about routine maintenance, I'm not sure if they ever actually talked about changing the oil! Much less things like cam belts on the 308GT4 they did, or belt tensioners on the XK8.

14. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Does anyone recognize the line Edd sometimes uses when complimenting Mike? It's something like "Well done, that man" (?). Is that correct? Anyone know where it comes from? Is it pop culture or elsewhere?

15. staatsof

staatsof Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2005
    Fuggetaboutitland
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Anyone else wonder if the repeated bad judgement calls for the auctions on Chasing Classic Cars are just a production expense for creating some angst shtick for the show? Losing $15-20K on a care he tried to cleanup a bit and auction off is not a ton of cash.

But trying to sell a top notch Bora at a Mecum auction WTF?

Can he really be that wrong so many times? :eek:

I've met him a few times at some parties but I don't have the balls to ask that ...

He seems like a genuine nice guy and a huge caroholic.

My wife really enjoys his shows partly because we see some of our friends on it I suppose.

The car community can be such a small, community at times.

16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The only thing that made CCC watchable was Roger.