Chasing Classic Cars - Fail | FerrariChat

Chasing Classic Cars - Fail

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by Hawkeye, May 20, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    The scripted product placement segments this new season are totally awkward. Wayne is not convincing in saying "wow, Mike, I'm going to check out your website right after the show" has anyone seen this? If you know Wayne personally (I like him) please tell him this has to go. It's so bizarre.

2. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Referring to Hagerty? IIRC, that happened in a show a couple seasons ago also. It was a bit odd.

3. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It's a commercial. What's the issue?

4. Neonzapper

Neonzapper F1 Rookie

Oct 19, 2008
    MD/FL/Philippines
    Full Name:
    Mykol
    I saw it, and it's for an online company that sells detailing products. Unfortunately, Velocity uses that company to infiltrate several shows. Velocity should just show it as a commercial, and forget about using it in their lineups. Also, it isn't like they are selling Zaino or other high-end products. They are selling McGuires and other comparable products which you can get at Advanced Auto Parts stores.

5. 1Superleggera

1Superleggera Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 20, 2011
    North East
    Full Name:
    Scott
    i agree entirely. It feels like you have to watch commercials during the show, on top of the regular commercials.

Many good people make poor decisions to obtain more & more money. Good man bad move.

6. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I saw that too. Very unwatchable now.

7. ApexOversteer

ApexOversteer F1 Veteran

Feb 15, 2007
    Smoky Mountains, TN
    Full Name:
    T.A. Bell
    Get used to it, because it isn't going anywhere, in fact, it is going to get much worse before it gets better.

Advertising pays for these shows, and as the use of DVRs rises and more and more people are ffwd'ing through the ad blocks, these shows have to find a way to get eyes back on the advertisers products.

8. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Overhaulin is the same way, I don't pay too much attention to it as long as they don't eff up the cars.

9. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    The issue is that you watch Wayne to see him and the goings on about his shop and other exploits, not to see the camera zoom in on his iPhone as he pulls up the Hagerty app on his cell phone. Then he brings in a detailer pushing Meguiar's wax and he says "I'll check out your website this afternoon" Come on.

I watch the commercials when I'm watching his show, I get the business aspect but if you're going to do product placement (ok by me) just leave the bottle of Meguiar's wax on the bench, we get it. The scripted product placement is awkward and needs serious refinement or they need to ditch it.

10. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Ok. I agree on the Hagerty point. But the detailing thing is a commercial.

11. RareAir23

RareAir23 Formula Junior

May 19, 2005
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I agree that it is awkward. When Wayne seems like he just learned something new, it's not very believable.

12. Exotica Motorsports

Nov 1, 2003
    Washington
    Full Name:
    Jason Godsil
    I probably hate this more than anyone and that is why I no longer have a TV service. I used to love watching shows like this and hardly ever missed an episode of Pawn Stars. I really liked Pawn Stars for the history behind the item but more and more it became scripted. Not only with shows but the whole network. What does some of these shows have to do with History, on the History Channel. Ice Road Truckers or Axe Men, that's history. I shut it all off about a year ago and I haven't missed it at all. Somethings I can catch on the Internet and the rest was just a waste of time anyway. Think about how much time is wasted in front of the TV and for what?

13. Thomas Magnum

Thomas Magnum F1 Veteran
    Owner

Feb 24, 2013
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Good for you. I cut the cord over three years ago and haven't looked back. Saving over $1200 annually (enough for a belt and tensioner change already???), more quality time with the kids, and more productive around the house. Anything I'm interested in I can find on the internet.

14. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Just caught the autogeek "commercial", that was hard to watch.

15. merstheman

merstheman F1 Rookie

Apr 13, 2007
    São Paulo, Brazil
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Chumlee rocks!!

16. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Biggest WASTE of auto airtime: MOTORWEEK.

What a dinosaur. The only show that makes cars look boring.

17. Hawkeye

Hawkeye F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2009
    Oh man that was the worst, it was embarrassing to watch that.

18. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Chip Foose is a butcher. Screws up classic cars to make them look like silly modern day cartoons.

19. S Brake

S Brake F1 World Champ

Aug 3, 2006
    Utah
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Couldn't agree more, just awful.
    Couldn't disagree more. ;)
    Chip has an incredible amount of talent, I wish I had 10% of his skills. After watching the Mecum auctions this weekend it is obvious that there are plenty of original or close to original classics out there. There is room for the type of cars that Chip designs and builds, but they aren't for everyone. I've thought about buying a POS classic just so I could be on the show.

20. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    For the most part I really like the cars that he builds.

I am a little worried about the next episode of Overhaulin where they are doing a Lotus Europa. It's not going to end well...

21. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Agree with you on all points. Been wondering how much he will mess up the Europa.

22. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    So far it looks like an incredible build. Plenty of stock Europas rotting in someone's garage(or worse) and quite a few nice restored stock cars. This car that Foose is building is amazing.

23. ForzaV12

ForzaV12 Formula 3

Sep 15, 2006
    Laguna Niguel
    Full Name:
    Steve
    Agreed-his talent is undeniable, he's a genuinely nice guy, the builds at his shop are as good as it gets and most agree that he is one of the top builders out there. Am I a fan of the large, blingy wheels that end up on most of the cars? Not so much, but easlily rectified and Chip has shown restraint in the wheel department when asked by the client(or insiders, in the case of the show) Besides, its rare that Foose works his magic on a rare musclecar-they are usually pedestrian versions in need of much love.
    I'm a fan.

24. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I agree it looks outstanding so far! Ive never been a fan of the door lines on the Europa - looks like Foose feels same...tasteful, but still waiting on final result :)

25. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    Meh... he treats classic cars like they are some kind of kit car -- and with the same respect.