Challenges bringing a used Ferrari into California from another state | FerrariChat

Challenges bringing a used Ferrari into California from another state

Discussion in 'California & Nevada (Northern)' started by HMB-Dino, Jul 19, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    I'm looking at a 2013 Ferarri in Florida and before I pursue it any further, does anyone have experience bringing a late model used Ferarri into California from another state? Specifically I'm thinking about emissions compatibility.

paulchua likes this.
  2. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Hi RonG,

I just did this. The car already should be okay to use in California as all recent Ferrari I believe are California compliant.

You'll still need to smog it first to register. Along with Title, bill of sale, and Vehicle Inspection (at the DMV Office)

A good way to verify is have the seller photograph the emissions stickers, get the VIN, and then contact the DMV to double check if it's a big concern to you.

3. syata

syata Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2017
    What Paul wrote. I too registered mine in December. You need a smog test before you register the vehicle at the dmv. I also had to bring my 1986 328 to the DMV for a VIN check.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  5. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
  6. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    And I believe it needs to have more than 8,000 miles on it.

7. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Not sure what’s the relevance of the ‘8000mi’ comment...please elaborate.

8. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    FWIW—(I could have it backwards, it’s been awhile) it was a relevant “if then question “

If your car was missing a ?? Smog sticker ?? Then they could still approve it if it had over ?? 8000.

It backfired on me— my CF panels had been replaced so the Smog sticker was missing AND the car only had 5600 so “no pass go, you’re not allowed into CA.”

HTH

9. Randy R

Randy R Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 23, 2011
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    '14 Cal 30 TDF/Tan
    https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/brochures/fast_facts/ffvr29

..."If you are a California resident and acquire a new car, truck, or motorcycle from another state, it must be certified to meet California smog laws to be registered in California. This includes certain diesel-powered vehicles. DMV cannot accept an application to register a vehicle in California that does not qualify for registration.

California considers any vehicle with less than 7,500 miles on the odometer at the time of purchase or trade by a California resident or business, to be a new vehicle. This is true whether or not the vehicle has been registered in another state."

10. VISTA2012

VISTA2012 Rookie

May 15, 2019
    Full Name:
    KYLE GANO
    I posted this on another thread but seems more appropriate here.

Situation : Two 10+ yr cars for use in CA but purchased out of state. Both with <7500 miles thus considered “new” by CA standard. Both cleared smog checks in CA prior to attempt to register the cars. Neither car had contemporary CA emissions stickers.

Outcome :

Car 1 - 2010 330 BMW
    DMV registered car all good

Car - 2003 Ferrari 360 Spider
    DMV gave refusal notice saying car did meet CA specs as identified by relevant sticker on car.

Any suggestions before I dig in? May simply register in AZ with family member / keep me as owner. Crazy though have 70s porsche that would fail a smog check. The 03 passes the smog check and no luck. Odd?

11. HMB-Dino

HMB-Dino Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 28, 2010
    Pebble Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    RonG
    Great info. Fortunately (??), the Ferrari I'm pursuing has just over 12k miles on it so it `escapes' the state's definition of `new'. Now I just need to get a photo of its emissions label to verify it really is CA compliant.

12. Manda racing

Manda racing Formula 3

Feb 25, 2015
    Bakersfield, Ca
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Need more info to give an intelligent answer on the 360.

EPA placard? VINs okay? Did Ferrari make 360,s NOT 50 state legal?

13. Sonoma

Sonoma Rookie

May 7, 2017
    Wine Country
    You will wish to make sure the exhaust system is stock - if it is not, you could fail the visual inspection portion (the rigor of which seems to vary widely).

14. JimEakin

JimEakin Formula Junior

Jun 13, 2015
    Mountain Living
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I bought a 348 in Arizona in 1999 and bought a 550 in Florida 3 years ago. No issues with CA smog tests. I needed to have a visual check for the 550. The inspector scanned the door tag but didn't seem to care about anything else.

You shouldn't have any problems bringing you car into CA, well, except that you need to pay use tax.