Cayman daily driver? | FerrariChat

Cayman daily driver?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by vinuneuro, Dec 12, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I'm 30yo, single and rarely find myself using the backseat or trunk of my car. Is the Gen 1 Cayman civilized enough to be a dd? I've never lived with a mid-engine car before and my main concerns revolve around general noise levels, particularly on the highway.

2. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Both the Boxster and Cayman make good daily drivers. The noise levels are not excessive, and perhaps more importantly, the car's comfortable seats, compliant suspension, pinpoint handling, and excellent brakes (which are especially important in rush hour traffic) make these cars very fine for daily driving duty.

3. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The only problem you'll have driving around the city is ground clearance. Everything else is a breeze.

4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I daily drove a first gen Cayman for 2 years. No problems.

5. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Thanks for the feedback. From dd perspective (noise and ride quality) is there a significant advantage with Gen 2 vs. Gen 1? Also wondering how the ingress/egress is to live with?

6. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Not unless you're off-roading... had a Boxster, zero issues. Great little go kart.

7. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Yes definitely daily driver. I had old boxster for years as dd without issue. Check out rennlist.com for real info on porsche

8. VGM911

VGM911 Formula 3

Apr 8, 2007
    New Jersey
    Either I've gotten shorter, or my Mark III is easier to get in and out of than my Mark I was.

Speaking generally, the Mark III has much to admire and is considerably improved from the Mark I and the Mark II in most ways.

9. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I don't know about the gen 1, but my 981 Cayman is an awesome daily driver. Ground clearance can be an issue, as mentioned, and personally I'd stay out of the snow, although with the right tires it would probably be okay.