News

Cavallino Rampante - 132 years on

Discussion in 'F1' started by Flavio_C, May 9, 2020.

1. Flavio_C

Flavio_C Formula 3

Sep 7, 2012
    Fighter ace Francesco Baracca was born on May 8th, 132 years ago. He was credited with 34 kills and was KIA in June 1918. Why is he relevant for this forum? His mother is the person who suggested that Enzo Ferrari used the Baracca coat of arms, the black Cavallino Rampante, as the crest on his own race cars.

After the countess Paola Baracca had gone to congratulate Enzo Ferrari on her victory at the Circuito del Savio and had made this proposal to him, at the beginning he was hesitant to put the Cavallino on his cars. In the end, to make her a pleasure, he resolved to do so by inserting it in a coat of arms, replacing the white background with the yellow one, the color of Modena. And the rest is history.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

mcimino likes this.
  2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    Apparently there isn't any documental evidence of that story, so it could have been fabricated by Enzo Ferrari. But it doesn't make it less interesting anyway: all legends have some part of fiction, and Ferrari knew it.

The same applies to the discussion between Ferrari and Lamborghini.

3. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Flavio_C likes this.
  4. SimCity3

SimCity3 Formula 3

Thank you for this poignant reminder.

I wonder how many new Ferrari customers are aware of this heritage ?

Ofcourse there is also a small prancing horse in the Stuttgart emblem of my Porsche cars, but it lacks the elegance of Enzo's Cavallino !

5. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed Owner

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    Years ago I was on a tour of the Porsche Factory and the tour guide stated emphatically that Ferrari stole the Prancing Horse from Porsche. He didn't like it when I told him Enzo Ferrari used the Prancing Horse on his Alfas in the 1930s well before Porsche even existed - to which he replied well then Ferrari stole the horse from the city of Stuttgart.

BLACK HORSE and tomc like this.