carreara gt and mb slr, will they hold there values? | FerrariChat

carreara gt and mb slr, will they hold there values?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by scycle2020, May 12, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    what is everyones opinion on these cars the cgrt and slr? will they be like the f40, f50 and enzo and ferrari gtos and hold and even increase there value over time, or will they be on the used market iin a few years for under 300k?

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    IMHO the CGT will sell for 200K after a few years and the SLR will less for less than that.

3. RP512TR

RP512TR Karting

Jan 11, 2004
    FRESNO
    Full Name:
    Ross
    I agree, arent they going to be production models instead os limited run models? They will be good cars to pick up second hand.

4. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    wow , if thats the case , a cgt would be a bargin ...i would get a used sl55 for 70-80 k over the slr in a few years

5. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

Napolis, Look at the way the rare Porsches depreciate, the 993 Turbo S sells for what? There are 4 for sale on autotrader starting at 116,000, then 125,000, then 140,000 and then 170,000. Original list of 158,000. I've got a feeling that the Carrera GT will fare at least as well as the '97 911 Turbo S.

So basically my opinion is that the Carrera GT will hold its value and eventually increase and becoming a collectors in 30-40-50-60 years.

6. zjpj

zjpj F1 Veteran

Nov 4, 2003
    USA
    But they are making waaaaaaaaaaaay more Carrera GTs than they made Turbo S.

7. Aureus

Aureus Formula 3

They made about 200 Turbo S right? (don't remember the exact number and its not poping up easily with google)

Production of the Carrera GT is capped at 1,500. Substantial difference? Sure. Very large amount for a supercar? Yes. Big enough to make it drop below the price of a new 575 anytime soon? Not a chance.

8. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    There will be as much CGT as F40 ..F40s are now worth a little less than what they were worth when new ( here and in the US , with the exeption of the xxx miles cars that can still fecth close to 400 000$ ) BUT the F40 has an image, history , its a myth..Only time will tell if the Porsche will be as loved as the F40.

IMO , i dont think so.

9. sjb509

sjb509 Guest

The SLR will depreciate more, IMO, because of models within M-B's range. A CL65 or SL65 will be almost as fast and cost about half the SLR, in ten years they will probably still cost about half, only it will be $80k versus $160k for the 65's and the SLR, respectively.

I'm not sure the Carrera GT comparison with the Turbo S is completely valid. The Turbo S represents the final iteration of the air-cooled 911, so for many purists it is the most desirable model. That there are only a handful of them of course doesn't hurt either. The CGT represents a big departure for Porsche, the hardcore P-car fans seem to be more reluctant to change than most.

OTOH, with all the supercars coming out in the next few years the sales projections could be way too high and these cars could end up being much more rare than first thought, all bets are off.

10. Erik

Erik Karting

Nov 3, 2003
    New York City, NY
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Does anyone think that the CGT will retain their value like the 959 has? Or is most of the 959's value due to the limited production (200ish cars?) and the fact that until recently it wasn't legal in the US? From what I've read about the 959's they haven't really lost or gained much value, except for ones that have been modified for US emissions, those seem to go for a premium.