Carburators 250 GTO on Ebay 38DCN | FerrariChat

Carburators 250 GTO on Ebay 38DCN

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by tomgt, Feb 8, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. t walgamuth

t walgamuth Formula Junior

Mar 13, 2005
    they look beautiful but wouldn't fit on my pf coupe because mine has just three intake ports in the heads on each side.

so the statement that it will work on engines from 1956 seems a little misleading.

the racing engines using the same basic engine as mine used three four barrell carbs since there are just three ports on each head.

so anyone tempted to buy needs to count their ports. there are many other things i would be concerned about too.

tom w

2. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004

Wrong. look again..

3. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    i looked again. what are you seeing that i am not? are you saying i have six ports in my heads?

tom w

4. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    mine is the inside plug engine.

i don't know about the later engines. they might be six ports per head.

tom w

5. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    so i have an inside plug engine.

three two barrell weber carbs. each throat has a tube that goes directly to an intake port which feeds two cylinders. each intake manifold consists of two tubes siamesed together held down by straght studs with nuts on top.

two heads three intake ports each. between the three intake manifolds is a pocket in which there are two plugs. the end cylinders have single plugs outside of all the intake manifolds.

i have held all these parts in my hands.

my engine is not unique.

tom w

6. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    so i have an inside plug engine.

three two barrell weber carbs. each throat has a tube that goes directly to an intake port which feeds two cylinders. each intake manifold consists of two tubes siamesed together held down by straght studs with nuts on top.

two heads three intake ports each. between the three intake manifolds is a pocket in which there are two plugs. the end cylinders have single plugs outside of all the intake manifolds.

i have held all these parts in my hands.

my engine is not unique.

tom w

7. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    All of the 250 motors have six individual intake ports on each head, not siamesed. If your motor has siamesed intake ports then it is not a 250 motor. The 166-195-212 motors have siamesed intake ports, so it may be that your car has an earlier motor in it.

Brian B.

8. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    it is a matching numbers car.

look again at pictures of older cars. the TDF has three ports too but and uses three four barrel webers instead of six two barrels.

the inside plug engines have three intake ports on the inside of the heads, and six exhaust ports on the outside.

tom w

9. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Brian,

You have used the word “all” relative to Ferraris, a slippery slope! The inside-plug 250GT motor has cylinder heads with a single port from each Weber barrel through the intake manifold to a port in the head (3 primary intake ports per head), and the port splits (Siamese) to adjacent cylinders within the head. (This includes the TdF, which has three two-barrel Webers.) The 6 individual ports per head come with the outside plug 250 GT heads. The 250MM motor with three four-barrel Webers I think has 6 ports per head, but I can not speak to this without a book to look it up. Tom W. is indeed looking at a 250 GT motor.

10. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    thanks for the support.

i can count to three and to six!

i am not very diligent about capitalization though.

tom w

11. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
  12. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #14 Motob, Mar 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  13. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    #15 Motob, Mar 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  14. lancia

lancia Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Brian,

I was curious and went back to Jess Pourret's book on the 250GT. As written, the early 250GT inside plug motor, type 112 (your photo?) is similar to the 250MM, 6 intake ports in the head. The later types 128C and 128D are Siamese, 3 ports (I confirm with direct experience). The type 128DF (I've never seen one of these, not familiar) is 6 ports according to the book.

15. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Brian,

What car do these heads belong to? Is this an MM head?

The 128C and 128D type engines that came with the inside plug 250 engines are in fact siamesed.

john

16. t walgamuth

Mar 13, 2005
    now i was pretty sure mine had three large ports but i just ran out tothe garage to check. indeed. three just like the 166 head maybe a bit bigger. my plate says 128d and 508d. chassis 1421 and same engine number.

and even though the later inside plug head does have six ports the gto carbs are made for six with even spacing.

too bad as it would be pretty cool to have six carbs. not that i would pay the tab for such a conversion. did anybody see what they went for...10K?

tom w