Car insurance when out of the country? | FerrariChat

Car insurance when out of the country?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by bpu699, Jan 28, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. bpu699

bpu699 F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2003
    wisconsin/chicago
    Full Name:
    bo
    Planning to go to Europe (Poland). We will get a rental car.

Our insurer is primarily American Family, and they said our car rental insurance doesn't apply there. Well, that stinks.

But what I am more worried about is all of the other insurance. Does our liability apply? Our umbrella?

I can easily pay the 15$/day to get the auto insured, but that does little good. I don't think the car rental place is going to give me a 4 mm umbrella, etc.

How do you guys deal with this? Is this common? It scares me a bit to be driving in another country with only a $25,000 liability policy, when I have a 4mm policy here!

Help please!

2. SrfCity

SrfCity F1 World Champ

Call the rental co. and see what they say? See what your credit card company will cover too? Car rentals in places like this are done all the time so I don't think you've got anything to worry about providing you get the coverage required.

3. Seth

Seth Formula 3

Feb 8, 2004
    Texas
    if you pay with an AMEX card you get insured through them... not sure about how much and all that, but we did have a fender bender a few years back in the UK, called them (AMEX), and never had to deal with it again.