Cant live without 2 Red Bulls a day. | FerrariChat

Cant live without 2 Red Bulls a day.

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by msdesignltd, Sep 15, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. msdesignltd

msdesignltd F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2003
    NYC. / E. Hampton
    Full Name:
    Michael
    I never thought I would be a candidate...Used to get Really...I mean really tired mid to late afternoon...Black coffee was my friend...
    My wifes trainer is always sipping on RB...I tried it...I am so happy I did..

Used to frown on people that drank it...Now I am one..
    I can honestly say...Its the only time I feel absolutely Normal..I can achieve much more when I feel like that..have one around lunch time and another at dinner..

It is a stable now...For Life!

the new Total Zero is the best..

any sympathizers

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Red bull has been shown to cause blood thickening and clots, leading to strokes.
    The afternoon slump is a reaction to what you had for lunch. Modify your lunch.
    Wrt red bull, no free lunches :)
    Ed

3. fluque

fluque Formula 3

Jul 30, 2004
    Above 2240m
    Full Name:
    Fernando
    I'm not for or against energy drinks but I'd get a check up to understand why the low energy. For years my father drank lots of coffee to keep up and it turned out he had low blood pressure.

4. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    Only in their Cola drink, and have since taken it out I think. The amount was so minuscule in there that to overdose from you had to drink like 20000 cans in one sitting or something. So you'd die a lot sooner from overdosing on something else during that sitting...

5. dmaxx3500

dmaxx3500 Formula 3

Jul 19, 2008
    ya,they took it out in 1890-1900,if its ever been in there[some say urban legend]

6. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    I prefer Monster absolute zero. Diet Mountain Dew is also good. I keep a couple 5-hour energies in my office for situations of dire need.

I will concede that the best answer is generally a light lunch and getting to bed at a decent hour.

7. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Red bull was banned in one or two northern european countries for a reason.
    Ed

8. Under PSI

Under PSI F1 Rookie

May 13, 2005
    Phoenix
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Whether its red bull, monster, 5hr energy, coffee, etc., it is just a caffeine delivery system.

9. F1Ace

F1Ace F1 Rookie

Mar 15, 2004
    Full Name:
    Wes
  10. mwr4440

mwr4440 Five Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 8, 2007
    Bavaria, The 'Other' Germany
    Full Name:
    Mark W.R.
    We have had more than a few Soldiers put out of the military medically and the common denominator was they were large consumers of energy drink crap.

It is by far easier to drink that stuff than coffee in many instances and so a person MAY be tempted to drink more of it.

11. lowmiler

lowmiler Karting

Aug 9, 2010
    Seriously? Please post proof.

12. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ^ google "redbull causes strokes". Lots of info.
    Ed

13. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
  14. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Not "lots of info," only two small studies - one for and one against.

There was a study done in Australia using a group of 30 students that tested their cardiovascular systems before and after drinking Sugar Free Red Bull and found the drink had a detrimental effect. Almost immediately after, a similar study by Winona State University in Minnesota contradicted the Australian study.

Aussie study: http://www.emed.com.au/1903

Minnesota study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19653067

15. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Wayne, that was just a start. If you really want more studies, dig a little deeper. It wasnt banned in a no. European country for nothing. If you disagree, drink away....
    Ed

16. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #17 El Wayne, Oct 2, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
    Bans were because of caffeine content - nothing to do with supposed blood thickening or clots. I have no personal interest in this debate, I'm just bothered by the overall proliferation of disinformation on any topic.

If you're interested in real information as opposed to internet banter (of course, most people aren't because it's not nearly as interesting), try reading some of these:

European Food Safety Authority: http://www.efsa.europa.eu/en/efsajournal/doc/935.pdf

Journal of the American Pharmacists Association: http://www.japha.org/article.aspx?articleid=1043454, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18595815

17. lowmiler

lowmiler Karting

Aug 9, 2010
    Thank you.

18. Bounce

Bounce Formula 3

Nov 30, 2009
    Perth, Australia
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    I swear caffeine has zero affect on me, I've never noticed anything different.

Not even a placebo sadly... If I'm tired, I'm tired and that's that no amount of redbulls or coffee will do anything, Not that it seems make a difference anyway.

Drink water :)

19. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    A BIG part of RB's appeal is (or was) its sugar high, which is fleeting. Similar to caffeine's, of course.

However, what I haven't seen, is a discussion about the body's natural stasis and response to changes in that stasis. Here's the basic theory...

Your body has its natural stasis. Your body adjusts that stasis to the inputs. When you load up on sugar or caffeine, your body adjusts automatically. The next level of this theory considers what the input actually is. Both sugar and caffeine are stimulants. So, how does your body's stasis respond? It slows itself down. The perverse irony is that in your effort to wake yourself up, you are actually causing your body to want to sleep. Likewise, if you ingest a depressant (say, alcohol), your body's stasis will speed itself up to compensate. Which is, generally, why after a night of drinking, you sleep like crap. I'd assume that the more intense the stimulant/depressant, the more intense the counter-reaction.

All of this leads me to conclude that the poster who suggested low energy is due to diet and the OP should analyze their lunch meal is probably on the right track.

CW

20. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  21. BSU

BSU Formula 3

Mar 30, 2008
    TX
    I have strep and am home from work since yesterday. I decided to double down on the suffering and take advantage of the long weekend to quit caffeine as well. No Monster or Diet Mt. Dew for about 45 hours now. Yesterday wasn't too bad, but today I am dieing. My God this sucks! I feels like someone drove nails in my head.

22. plastique999

plastique999 F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 9, 2008
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Edward
    I'm the same way - caffeine has zero effect on me other than having o go to the bathroom every hour due to its diuretic effects.

In recent news, a girl died after drinking 2 Monsters and had a cardiovascular incident.

http://blogs.laweekly.com/informer/2012/10/anais_fournier_monster_energy_death_lawsuit.php

23. Frips_Girl

Frips_Girl Formula Junior

Nov 29, 2007
    SoCal & TO
    Full Name:
    Annetta
    I adore my diet energy drinks but have one a week, if that. A friend of mine in her later 40's had at least 2 diet Red Bulls a day, every day for over 3 years. Recently she was forced to quit as she was having heart troubles and it was linked to that energy drink consumption. It was difficult for her, but she's off it now and much happier.

Just be cautious and don't let it rule over your life. A change in diet and a bit of exercise can help energy levels so you're not feeling that mid-afternoon slump.

24. ricksb

ricksb F1 Veteran

Apr 12, 2005
    Montclair Village
    Full Name:
    B. Ricks
    I think Energy Drinks are a mixed bag; the supplement ones are actually pretty effective, but many are in horribly large sizes with 3X as much of everything that you need. Don't buy anything larger than that small can (8oz) if it's listed as a "supplement" (e.g. contains Ginseng, Gingko, etc). Plus, I haven't found one that doesn't taste like carbonated Robitussin to date. Just can't do it (especially 5 hr Energy). A military friend turned me on to "Uptime" tablets last year...most effective stuff I've taken (alert, but not "jittery"). I don't like that "wired" feeling so it hits me just right. (kind of hard to find though)

I think the afternoon "slump" is caused by stress (and age, if you're over 35-40), not necessarily exercise. Balancing demanding work with family and all of the running around wears you out, whether you want to admit it or not (I tried not to, but when I look at how many available minutes I have in a day, it's no comparison to how things were in college or before kids).