California "on the limit" shifting question | FerrariChat

California "on the limit" shifting question

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by nocorkbat, May 2, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. nocorkbat

nocorkbat Rookie

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Bittel
    I purchased a 2013 California and when I am in auto usually near 3rd or 4th gear and give it heavy throttle it reverts to manual--I am new to Ferrari ownership -- can somebody explain this? Thanks

2. Bill Phillips

Bill Phillips Formula Junior

Nov 4, 2019
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    Bill
    Hey John,

I don’t know how your post fell through the cracks without an answer, usually lots of folks chime in. I also have a 2013 Cali and I’ve seen essentially what you’re describing. The gearbox controller takes into account the way you drive, meaning that if you plant the accelerator pedal it assumes you want to drive aggressively and paddle shift. I’ve driven other cars that do the same thing. Another quirk I’ve noticed is that usually, when you are in auto and then paddle shift manually it will go into manual mode and stay there. But sometimes it will revert back to auto if you don’t shift again right away. I don’t think there’s any problem there, just the way it’s designed. Now that this thread will go to the top someone with more knowledge on the subject may add to it.

Welcome to the forum!

3. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    Auto vs. Auto easy exit mode (page 159 in the manual):

Image Unavailable, Please Login

If you are in "auto" mode you can paddle shift and then it will revert to automatic. If you are in "auto easy exit" and you paddle shift it will change to manual.

4. nocorkbat

nocorkbat Rookie

May 2, 2021
    Full Name:
    John Bittel
    Hi Bill

Thanks for the response and the information. I took it to the dealer and they thought I was crazy and couldnt get it to repeat that sequence. You have confirmed I am not crazy and much appreciated. I will keep an eye on this for more to chime in

Thanks again

John

Bill Phillips likes this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Sounds like a classic case of mistaking AEE for actual Auto mode.

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

rob5819 and Bill Phillips like this.