California fuel gauge fault NOT | FerrariChat

California fuel gauge fault NOT

Discussion in 'California/Portofino/Roma' started by Andrew Leather-Barrow, Feb 20, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Andrew Leather-Barrow

Oct 9, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Full Name:
    Andrew Leather-Barrow
    Hi everyone,
    I thought that I would share my story of angst and worry this morning, i fired up the Cali and rolled her out of the garage for the first time in many months.
    So as usual key in turn on wait (and pray) for all greens and fire up, so i preceded out for a lovely drive, i went up to the next city from Manchester up to Liverpool and then pooled round, it was on my way home that i noticed the fuel gage had not moved from full - strange i thought so i proceeded home and did a mileage tot up i had just done 120 miles. The fuel gauge was full and my range was 283miles what was going on?
    The fuel gage was still showing full bars - impossible i thought so then all sorts started going through my head should i do a hard reset ? Should i find the fuel sender cable and disconnect it? Should i go to Ferrari ?
    I decided on going to the fuel station and fill her back up to see what i had used (i always put her away full of fuel) so I’m on my way to the fuel station and going over potholes purposely trying to see if i had a sticking fuel sender but no still full bars I’m starting to panic now at the thought of another £x000’s bill coming my way from the Ferrari main dealer.
    So I’m now 2 miles from the fuel station and mother of all mercies the fuel gauge drops 1 bar HOORAY!!!
    Finally 126 miles i get to the fuel station fill up and WOW i can only get 15.2 Litres of fuel in the car :)
    I do the math and realised that i had been taking my trip very steady and staying within the limits of the law which to be honest is not really me:rolleyes:
    36 miles to the gallon I am stunned my DD a Porsche turbo cannot and has not ever return that amount of fuel economy.
    So panic over life is restored to normal, now just what am i going to do with the money that i had already spent in my head on fixing this non event ;)

Cheers Andrew

rob5819 and tomc like this.
  2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Yes! It's the little victories in life that are worth savoring! :D

Now, stop driving like a little old lady and if the cops pull you over, you can always tell them you were testing the fuel gauges!

T

Andrew Leather-Barrow likes this.
  3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    I thought English lockdown required staying local !

4. rob5819

rob5819 Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2017
    San Diego
    Full Name:
    Rob Barry
    A good trip with a happy ending. Of course, when I put gas in my 458 Spider if I calculate anything over 10 mpg I am very disappointed in myself and determine to drive it harder in the future.

Rob

Andrew Leather-Barrow and tomc like this.