CA. residents REG. + LIC in Montana? | FerrariChat

CA. residents REG. + LIC in Montana?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Jalpa44, Oct 27, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jalpa44

Jalpa44 Rookie

Mar 10, 2015
    Anyone?
    I'm a little worry, because the company in Montana wants me to fill out bill of sale

2. TestShoot

TestShoot F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 1, 2003
    Beverly Hills
    bump subscribe. Something I am interested in too

3. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    Unless you are serving military in California, I.e.: not considered a state resident and can therefore register in your home state. I wouldn't try to evade taxes and registration fees by registering out of state. I know lots of people in California, they have vacation homes in Nevada and Arizona. If they register outside of California, they use it outside of California. Its too risky to use it in California. I know for a fact the top three enforcement the CHP does is 1.) look for DUI's, 2.) speeders 3.) registration and safety violations. Registration can be looking for tax evasion. Since they actively target this area, I wouldn't do it.

An FYI, the so called tax haven states. You only have a veil of secrecy if its legal. The veil can be pierced if its investigation of illegal activity, ie tax evasion. Sure you can form an LLC in Montana and register a vehicle there. But say your neighbors see you driving around with Montana plates and report you. CA has a hotline to report this. They can get the ownership of the company from Montana. Then you can be in trouble.

4. Jalpa44

Jalpa44 Rookie

Mar 10, 2015
    Hello,

Thank you for your detailed respoinse. I apologise if my lack of detail misled you. I am not seeking to evade taxes, fees,etc.

I am a resident of florida & only in Ca. to start a business. For "visiting Ca" it makes no sense that I have to re-register,smog,reg.,ins. ALL OVER AGAIN & for many cars????

There has to be way, in addition laws are man made. I would ride my electric skateboard all over in Ca. while it was illegal because I felt It was a silly law. I would get tickets, fight them & defeat them. 6 months later they made E-boards legal???

I feel people do not take the time to fight what they are encountering as a silly law & only made to "extract" money from people that have it!

Visit any poor neighborhood & you WILL NOT see 1 ticket truck cruising around like drones 24hrs as you do in wealthy neighborhoods. NOW im ranting lololol let me stop

thanx
    R

5. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    My car is registered to my LLC in Montana, via 49dollarregisteredagent.com or whatever it is.

I have an LLC there that "owns" all my toys (airplanes, motorcycles, ferrari etc.)

Since the car is registered to a company that is a "resident" of montana, no issues.

If stopped, say it's a company lease.

6. Gran Drewismo

Gran Drewismo F1 Rookie

Jan 24, 2005
    Idaho
    Full Name:
    Andrew

It's okay to say you are looking to evade taxes, emissions tests, circumvent registration fees/laws, etc. That's the whole reason to register in Montana! :)

7. JasonMiller

JasonMiller F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 16, 2004
    Co Springs/ Texas
    Full Name:
    Jason Miller
    To me its not about the taxes at all, I will gladly pay my fair share .... But emissions, inspection etc BS

8. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #8 Rifledriver, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016

You might not feel that way if you knew what Jerry Brown is charging for registration fees.

We went from a few thousand a year to a couple of hundred when we moved to Texas. Jerry has been using vehicle fees to balance the budget.

9. 360HB

360HB Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 10, 2016
    This. Plus my county (Orange) is crazy with personal property taxes each year.

10. hionbusa

hionbusa Rookie

Nov 25, 2009
    SOCAL
    I see way too many of these Montana License plates in California. The other day it was a lady in her late 60s driving a RR Ghost . Today it was a new Aston Vanquish at a catholic church with an MIT alumni License plate frame.... Spiritual brains is ok with the risk I guess lol.

It a calculated risk if it's track/week end car .. A daily driver is just plain foolish.