"Bugatti Veyron operating costs so expensive..." | Page 2 | FerrariChat

"Bugatti Veyron operating costs so expensive..."

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by 4re Nut, Jan 17, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. thecarreaper

thecarreaper F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 30, 2003
    Savannah
    meh, i would rather have an airplane than such a needy car. my slow cars are good enough. :)

2. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What if you keep buying veyrons ? :D

3. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    IMHO, the Veyron just makes the McLaren F1 look sooo much more desirable- the F1 has actual luggage space, a proper gearbox, and doesn't have the same tire/wheel appetites as the Veyron.

I will be charitable and think of the Veyron as an engineering exercise...and not as a party trick ;-) It IS prettier than the F1...

4. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    Any Corvette can be faster for under $150k

The Bug is just stupid $ + its ugly

5. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    #30 nthfinity, Jan 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    The Vette really needs some aero aids for stability above 180. But that could be part of the package price.

I photographed LPE during their dark years testing a 250++k standing mile monster... 0-60 in about 4s, but 60-200 in under 15 seconds. Those are truly unimaginable speeds in a "street" car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    May Big John R.I.P.

7. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    True story: He was doing really well when they decided to bring him to a care facility closer to home; and en route is where he died on Christmas day.

The world was more fun with him there. Thankfully a worthy man has taken the reins.

8. Senna1994

Senna1994 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Orange County
    Full Name:
    Anthony T
    Issac, I remember that, and John was an artist with motors and the world is a lot less fun without him. He did by far the best work compared to other tuners.

9. Mpm277

Mpm277 Karting

Jan 5, 2009
    Bowling Green, Ky
    Full Name:
    Michael Merren
    I'm truly jealous of you.

10. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    John's chief engineer is still in that position at LPE. Now that they are under good leadership again; they are the "Best in the biz" once again. Expect to keep hearing more of LPE this year!
    Sometimes I can't believe some of the things I've done. But I still wouldn't be envious of me. :-\

11. tundraphile

tundraphile F1 Veteran

May 16, 2007
    Missouri
    Doesn't it appear VW is doing a CYA with recommending the tires and rims be changed after each speed run? Probably the worst thing that they could have happen from a PR perspective is to have some Sheik or celebrity be killed in a Veyron when a tire lets go at 200+. Never mind that the tire had been through a dozen of these speeds runs and showing cord, all the industry will think is that maybe the Veyron isn't really safe at those speeds.

By specifying an extremely conservative service schedule VW has their out in this case.

12. Bas

Bas Four Time F1 World Champ

Mar 24, 2008
    ESP
    Full Name:
    Bas
    +1

Its a little bit like the bungee jump ropes. They can easily withstand 300+ jumps but NEED changing every 100 jumps.

And the fact that the average veyron owner pisses 24K...

13. AlexO91

AlexO91 F1 Rookie

Sep 26, 2008
    NW England
    Full Name:
    Alex
    +1 Very much agree. He also called it the car equivalent to Concorde and as far as sized of an Engineering achievement they both are I completely agree wit that also.

14. Evolved

Evolved F1 Veteran

Nov 5, 2003
    A decent set of tires on a 10,000 car would cost what? $500

A replacement set with new rims on a 1,000,000 car is $50,000.

The veryron is actually a bargain. You get wheels and tires for the same relative price point.

15. sclark

sclark Karting

Feb 25, 2006
    I suspect (but don't truly know) that the wheels and tires are specced the way they are for extremely high-speed running. I don't see why one couldn't throw on some equivelently-sized wheels with standard z-rated rubber just to play at the track and save the high-dollar wheels/tires for when you feel like surpassing 200mph.

16. SMS

SMS F1 Veteran

Jan 7, 2004
    Indy
    Full Name:
    Bill S.
    #41 SMS, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    This excerpt is from a CNBC story about weath. They talk about an Indiana Veyron...

"Which brings us back to Tim Durham's tire.

Durham got in on the ground floor of leveraged buyouts, which turned out to be the financial equivalent of finding that your chicken lays Fabergé eggs.

Tim likes cars, and when he wants a new one, he flies to London to bid on a Rolls-Royce that ultimately goes for about $7 million. He doesn't buy it - partly because he's handicapped by the weak dollar, he says, as if that matters in his league.

But not getting the car doesn't leave Tim without wheels. Back home, he has a couple of other Rolls-Royces, not to mention a few other luxury cars. Like, 70.

Most look to be either luxury classics or European sports cars. His favorite at the moment, he tells CNBC, is his most recent, a Bugatti. In contrast to the cars that seem to mostly just sit in a luxury garage, he actually drives the Bugatti.

On one recent drive, he hit a nail that ruined a tire. The new one, he says, cost $22,000."

17. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I know that R&D that goes into developing these special tires is expensive, but $22k just seems absurd even for the Veyron.

18. nthfinity

nthfinity F1 Veteran

Mar 21, 2005
    South East MI
    Full Name:
    Isaac not Issac
    I know the service runs about 16,000$ on one... regardless of miles.

19. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    i watched a show and I thought it said 17k for a set...

20. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Euros, not dollars.