Bugatti Atlantic 70th Aniversary drawing... | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Bugatti Atlantic 70th Aniversary drawing...

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by Bugattiart, Jan 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Concerning the Bugatti Atlantic #57473 which would have received a steering box and front axle of Delahaye, it is in the french magazine "Automobile Historique" n°44 article of Paul Badré that it is mentioned.

2. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks for that info Christophe! At least today the car has a proper Bugatti steeringbox and frontaxle! :)
    Still I need to find out if the bodychanges were really made by someone else than the Bugatti factory! I have great difficulties in believing that!!!
    I spent most of the night reading through all the articles I have about this car, and they all seem to mention that the changes were made by the factory upon the request from Jean Bugatti!
    Pierre Marco also told Gaston Garino that it was Jean Bugatti who designed and wanted these changes made to the car, and that the changes were made at the factory either in 1938 or in 1939!!!
    Do you have any pictures of the car, taken in 1939-1940??? That would be most helpful to solve this mystery!
    I know that when Lamberjack had this car in 1950 the car was unsaleable! Lamberjack changed the engine and remowed the supercharger, but I can find nothing about the Delahaye parts!?!? Mortarini and Garino kept the car for less than one year and then resold it to Chatard!
    When Gaston Garino and Raymond Vallier 24 years later spent two years on restoring the car mechanically for Seydoux, Garino modified part of the engine, including the pistons, and he added a supercharger since this engine (#473) did not have a supercharger originally! The car still had it's original De Ram shock absorbers at that time!

I hope someone can help us find out!!! :)

Best

Carsten

3. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Well well.... I just found in an old article from a magazine that the car was in fact owned by Pagnibon and then Barraquet, Bodel, Lamberjack, Mortarini/Garino etc. etc. But they do not give their sources!
    BUT....this article also states that the car was first sold to Pagnibon AFTER the second Wolrdwar and that again leads me to believe that what Pierre Marco told to Gaston Garino is the truth!
    Still I would very much like to find the absolute truth about this, and I think I have a contact who might be able to help us find out about that!

I also found in another article that Seydoux had been offered 50.000 000,- Francs for the car, and that he turned down the offer! however It does not say anything about who was the interested buyer! If this is true, Seydoux must be very pleased with his beautiful car......I know I would, if the car belonged to me!! :)

4. Scuderia CC

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe

Not unfortunately I do not have pictures of #57473 of this period 1939-40. I think that one must be numerous to want to see and to have pictures of #57473 for this period.

5. Scuderia CC

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    Here what a member of the Club Bugatti France says on a forum relating to #57473 by taking for base of information the book of Pierre-Yves Laugier:

- P.Y. Laugier in his imposing book on the 57S gives another version for this Atlantic, at least concerning the period 1936 - 1952. According to him, Holtzschuch would have preserved its Atlantic until 1945, year of its death, registered 3924 RK 7. New registration on December 9, 1946 in the name of certain Boichard in Monaco. Then it is sold in 1949 to R. Verkerke, mechanic in Cannes, and it is probably him which makes carry out the modifications of body of Atlantic. With regard to the pilot Pagnibon (ex-Boncompagnie), it would have perhaps used this car but was never owner. Moreover, #57473 ran the GP of the car club of Nice in 1951, and its committed pilot was well Verkerke.

- The car is resold in 1951 in certain Bouteaux, mechanic in Nice, which resells it in January 1952 with the Bérard garage in Paris 17°. It is resold in March 1952 in Marguerite Schneider, friend of Chatard. It is possible, considering the difficulty of resale of Atlantic post-war period, which she was exposed in several garages without changing automobile license; it has thus to spend very well some time at Lamberjack and Mortarini before this last arrives at the "fourguer"... It should be noted that Chatard was a Bugattiste enthusiast: in addition to Atlantic, it had also a Type 37 single-seater with an engine of 35, baptized 39A/4944. It had also a 50T Type surprofilée, a Type 46 convertible and a Type 37. The infos of Laugier are based primarily on the files of the automobile licenses, they are thus founded. It is however known that at the time even more than today, one could buy very well a car without changing his automobile license within the legal times... It is thus possible that the factory recovered this Atlantic before the war by leaving papers in the name of its first purchaser? And what Boncompagnie also bought it between 1946 and 1949 without changing the automobile license? Mystery!

6. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    #56 Bugattiart, Feb 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Scuderia CC

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    That does not do anything Carsten, the main thing it is that one can see the work which is made, which is really superb... I like also this # 57374, his history too.

Vive La Marque

Very Best regards
    Christophe