Bugatti Atlantic 70th Aniversary drawing... | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Bugatti Atlantic 70th Aniversary drawing...

Discussion in 'Bugatti' started by Bugattiart, Jan 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I will have to correct my own post as of course Bugatti produced arround 7800-7900 cars in total......today there are arround 1800-2000 of those cars still existant! I apologize for this error! :)

2. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Okay, but be a little patient with me, as I am a little busy right now! :)

3. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    #28 Bugattiart, Feb 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    So finally I got a little more done on this one also :).....I'm really too busy for the moment, and things are getting even more hectic soon! ;)

The picture here appears much darker than it really is when seen in real!
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. Scuderia CC

Scuderia CC Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    France
    Full Name:
    Christophe
    C'est magnifique !!

5. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    great drawing of a lovely car

Bugs and Ferraris go well together.....probably why until the late 60's / early 70's the Ferrari owners club of GB was part of the Bugatti owners club

6. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Thanks a lot Andrew, :)

That's right, and the two groups were only seperated because the Ferrari part was growing too fast!
    Those two Marques really stand in a class of their own! :)

7. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Some people say 7, as they think the Esders roadster was actually built on a seperate chassis...

The Royale that fetched 18 million at the peak of the market has been for sale for some time, but I don't know what the "real" asking price is...

8. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Jay Leno has a "replica" Atlantic; a real T57SC chassis with a modern Atlantic body recreation.

9. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    I am confused; the Seydoux car has sligtly different coachwork. Is the 3rd car the ex-Pope car, or is that the one owned by Ralph Lauren? Which one is the one that some details modified by Rocco Motto of Turin in the early 1950s (I think it was red at the time).

10. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    But it is not the original work of Jean Bugatti, but it's Barraquet of Nice .....
    It's the second Atlantic, so.

11. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    It's really not that complicated, I'll try straighten out things a bit here :)

Chassis# 57374 (The first of the production Atlantics built) This is the car today owned by Dr. Peter Williamson and newly restored back to the state in which it left the factory in September 1936! This car was bought at Auction by Peter Williamson in 1971 for $ 59,000 which was a large sum at the time!
    The former owner Robert Oliver ( Also an American), fitted new tail lights and bumpers to the Atlantic, and later had the car mechanical recondiioned at the Bugatti factory arround 1953! From here it went straight to "Hauswald" in Paris who fitted a Cotal electromagnetic transmission to the car! Then it went to Turin where "Ghia" made the enlargements of the rear windows and certain other minor changes, like raising and fairing of the headlamps! Then the car was painted "Tomato red" and it was fitted with newly designed chromed wheel disc covers!
    After Williamson bought the car, he had it repainted again in the light Bugatti blue it used to be before the restoration of the car!

Chassis#57473 (The second of the production Atlantics built)(Often confusingly referred to as the "Third Atlantic" as the other two cars are in the US)
    This is the "Seydoux car" or the one with different bodywork!
    This Atlantic was substantially similar to the "Williamson car" when it was first produced, but the first owners returned the car to the factory shortly after purchasing it, and it remained unsold in the possesion of the factory for a number of years!
    In 1938 or 1939 Jean Bugatti wanted certain modifications made to this car, such as enlargement of the doors, and enlargement of the rear fenders in pontoon style just as seen on the car today! Also Jean wanted a new design for the engine bonnet with the substitution of louvres on top and in the sides of the bonnet for the ventilation. Also the wipers on this car was attached from the top contrary to the two other cars which had their wipers attached below the windscreen.
    Arround 1955 the car was driven by Chatard in France who then sadly lost his life when the car was hit by a train in a railroad crossing!
    The car was then found again arround 1965 and rebuilt by a young Frenchman who spent arround 9 years on recreating the car! In 1974 it was then sold to Nicolas Seydoux, who is the present owner of the car, and he had the car totally restored by a famous French restorer in the late seventies and the car was in perfect shape again in 1981!

Chassis #57591 (The third and last one built)Originally painted a very deep Saphire blue, and repainted in a medium Bugatti blue colour in the seventies by Barrie Price, after he had a small road accident with the car in France!
    This is the "Pope car" (so named because of it's first owner, R.B. Pope of Ascot, London) and the car that is today in the Lauren collection!
    The story of this car is very simple, since it has nearly always looked the same since delivered from the factory, only with the exeption of different colours and other tail lights, and the chromed wheels that was at one time fitted to the car! This car had a lot of owners through the years, and finally went to Lauren in 1988 who had the car totally retored and painted it the Jet black colour that the car sports today!

I hope this cleared up things a little :)

Best regards

Carsten

12. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    It's the work of designer Paul Bracq and restorer André Lecoq in Paris! Still the car today is true to Jean Bugattis design!
    I have pictures of the car from before the accident, that proves this fact!

Best

Carsten

13. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller

Yes, thanks. I was at the auction in Los Angeles when Williamson bought the car for $59,000. I also believe the modifications were done by Rocco Motto of Torino, and not by Ghia, who changed the rear window and added louvers over the doors, and changed the headlamp position. Do you know anything about the rumors of a second Aerolithe?

14. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I think it is only rumours, but I can't be sure!
    I do know however that there are two attempts right now of recreating the Aerolithe, one in Canada and one in Germany! I hope to see at least one of them finished! :)

The louvres in top of the doors on the Williamson car were made in the original design of the car and it was so when the car was first sold! These louvres were closed by Ghia or Rocco Motto in the fifties, and "re-opened" when the car was recently restored!

As a side note; only the first two of the Atlantics had these louvres originally, and the third car had instead opennings or little vents in the roof that could be opened or closed!

Best regards

Carsten

15. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    For me : The car was bought by Boncompagni (Pagnibon) in Automn 38 who made races with Barraquet, who make the transformations (Rear perhaps as a Talbot by Pourtout, another car of Pagnibon) Perhaps after an accident (Direction come from a Delahaye) ?????

16. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    Motto was working in (Under-working... Sorry I don't know the word in English) for Ghia. So it's Ghia, but it's Motto who make the job !

17. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Who told you about the car being sold in 1938??? Sounds mysterious to me......but interesting! :)
    Pierre Marco the managing director of the Bugatti Factory writes in his notes that the car was used by Willams(the English race driver, and at that time sales agent for Bugatti in Paris) and Robert Benoist between 1937 and 1939, so this can not be possible! The transformation of the car was done at the Bugatti factory according to all the notes and litterature that I have available!
    Also according to Bugatti factory records, the car was first sold again after the second World war, to a man called "Bodel" in Cannes!
    Bodel sold the car in 1950 to Lamberjack, the Bugatti general distributor in the Paris region!
    Again in 1950 Francois Mortarini and Gaston Garino in compagnionship bought the car from Lamberjack, and they again sold the car in 1952 to Antoine(René) Chatard (in the name of a lady friend by the name of Madame Margurite Schneider, since his family did not allow him to buy another Bugatti,.... he already owned two Grand Prix Bugattis and a magnificent Type 50 Profilee!) Then in 1955 René Chatard lost his life when he and another lady friend were hit by the train, while driving the Atlantic!

Best

Carsten

18. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
  19. dretceterini

dretceterini F1 Veteran

Apr 28, 2004
    Etceterini Land
    Full Name:
    Dr.Stuart Schaller
    Yes, that is quite possible, but I have been told Motto disliked Boano very much, both when he ran Ghia and when he had his own company, and I understand Boano was still in charge of Ghia when the modifications were done to the Atlantic.

Motto seems most connected to Savonuzzi and Michelotti; Bertone and Vignale, but also built the Siata 208 spiders under sub-contact when he had his own shop. The Siata 208 spider is a Michelotti design.

20. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    For me.... Benoist in Spring 37 go to nice from Paris for a salon and left the car at Friderich. But after several months the car is not sold, William Grover (Williams) use the car some months (Always factory car) and after he can't sold it (Famous pic of Williams wife with dogs at Nancy in 1938), he put the car again at Ernest Friderich at nice to sold the car on the French Riviera. Friderich sold the car to Pagnibon (Ferrari driver !!!) who sold it, after modifications, to Bodel (Cannes) who sold it to Lamberjack etc.....
    The Talbot Pourtout...
    http://images.google.fr/imgres?imgurl=http://www.*************/images-small/1939_talbot-lago_t150_css_pourtout_coupe-2.gif&imgrefurl=http://www.*************/VC%3Fid%3D1786&h=130&w=173&sz=4&tbnid=LDDI2jfTWl2KZM:&tbnh=70&tbnw=94&hl=fr&start=10&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dtalbot%2Bpourtout%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Dfr%26lr%3D%26sa%3DG

21. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    You may be right about that.....or most of it anyway! I am still convinced that the transformation of the car was made at the factory and that the changes were made upon request from Jean Bugatti, as it was he who wanted the changes made to the design!
    The car was owned however by a jewish couple in 1936 when the car was new, but after they sold the car back to the factory it was again a "factory car" :)

In an earlier post, you mentioned that the "direction came from a Delahaye", I am not sure what you mean by that? Can you explain it for me?

Best regards

Carsten

22. Gilles

Gilles Karting

Aug 10, 2003
    South of France
    Front axle tree and steering (Sorry for English...)? It's Mortarini who put off Delahaye pieces for sold it to Chatard.

23. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    Okay, I never heard about the car having steering and front axle from a Delahaye before!
    Please do not apologize for your English! :) You are doing just fine! It's not always easy to translate from French to English, or the other way arround!

Where or how did you find out about these things? It is very interesting....
    I cannot find anything about these things in the extensive litterature collection that I have available about the Atlantics, and neither in the historically research on the three Atlantics written by Les Matthews!
    I am not saying that you are wrong, but I wonder why I never heard about any of these Delahaye details in the car!

Best regards

Carsten

24. camchain

camchain Formula Junior

Feb 12, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Ron Hetherington
    #49 camchain, Feb 3, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I hope that you enjoy these photographs.

25. Bugattiart

Bugattiart F1 Veteran

Mar 8, 2004
    Denmark
    Full Name:
    Carsten Christiansen
    I do, Thanks for posting them! :)

Best