Boxer Mufflers color | FerrariChat

Boxer Mufflers color

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by DonB, Jun 30, 2021.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    From what I understand, Ansa made the exhaust system for the BB's and BBi's. That system when new was coated with a brownish/gold/green color (best I can describe it) coating. And no it wasn't e over spray from the undercoating...which the factory managed to spray everywhere!
    I have a new OEM takeoff system that I'm using as a reference, and am looking to try and recolor (?) my existing system. I've looked for coatings/paint but so far have been unsuccessful.
    Would anyone know what coating or process Ansa used to do this?

2. mechaniker

mechaniker Formula Junior
    Owner

May 30, 2004
    Germany
    AFAIK, it is just the natural metal surface, wich turns brown/gold over time due to heat.

Our system is not coated. We have a second exhaust system with some partial black overspray, otherwise uncoated brown/golden.

Also, other Ferrari OEM Exhaust Systems turn brown/golden over time. (F40, F50). The Enzo exhaust is polished and also turns slightly yellow over time.

3. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Understand..my "new" system is still virgin metal inside, ie. still bare metal so it was never really used so to speak. I know that "underneath" the color is bare metal...there are a couple of scratches that reveal this...

4. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    There were systems that were tan/ gold in color from new. I went thru a BIG blow out at Cavallino with an 1984 BBi that we showed and did a complete restoration on. The lead judge, who I won't name publicly, clearly stated that all BBi systems were either black or silver painted. I strongly disagreed, as we had a special custom color batch of hi heat powder coat applied. I also had on loan a brand new system from GT Car Parts, new old stock to use as an exemplar for the color, un mounted, not run, and this system was the proper tan/gold color that you are looking for. Ultimately, I proved the judge wrong, but the harm and damage was done, where this car was shown 3 times at the FCA Nationals and other FCA events, always getting 99.5 score or higher. At Cavallino, because of the exhaust issue, we didn't even get a Platinum, which is 97 points or higher. I'm still angry at the lead judge to this day, for his ignorance.
    Gary Bobileff

5. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hi gary..

Black and Silver? Where did that come from?

I'm putting my "new" OEM system on the shelf for spares. But I'd like to redo my factory system that's on the car now, as it has begun to show small spots of rust in certain areas. The color of the "new unaffected" mufflers seems almost transparent to a degree so I think it's going to be difficult matching it to the correct finish. I've got some ceramic paint samples being delivered to see if i can come up with a close "match". The coating is good up to 1800 F and would certainly work..we'll see. Would you still have any info on what you came up with?

As an aside, as a test, I've had a bronze gasket made to replace the large gasket between the muffler and resonator. Since the good asbestos gaskets are NLA, and the new gaskets seem to fail quickly, I'm going to see if I can remedy the situation. Again we'll see

6. garybobileff

garybobileff Formula 3
    Sponsor

Feb 5, 2004
    San Diego CA
    Full Name:
    Gary
    If you need help regarding the color I used, which came out great, EMAIL me at [email protected]. It seems like the original finish was a dip of some sort, which is too complicated to deal with on assembled components.
    Gary Bobileff