Boxer - Missing Trim Pieces | FerrariChat

Boxer - Missing Trim Pieces

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by UnVinRougeSVP, Mar 22, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. UnVinRougeSVP

UnVinRougeSVP Karting

Jan 27, 2004
    Southeastern PA
    Full Name:
    Ted
    Can the Boxer guys check to see if they have the trim finishers that hide the ends of the black weather strip on the bumpers. They would be located in the wheelwells. I see a screwhole in the bumper to attach it, but all four of mine are missing. The p/n is 50371103 and they are NLA at all the places I have called. If someone has one they can take measurements and a picture of, I can see if I can get some made. They are probably made of aluminum or plastic.

Thanks

2. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Good question, Im going to run home and look at mine, hope they are all there.

3. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    I had two that were missing when I first got my BB512i, but I gota couple from a local body shop that does Ferrari paint work.

4. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Ted, any luck finding these pieces?
    Michael, do you think that body shop might have one or two left?

5. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    Can someone post a photo of these parts?

6. GaryReed

GaryReed F1 Rookie

Feb 9, 2002
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Gary
    #6 GaryReed, Aug 11, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    You can find them in the parts manual, all four are the same before the rivet hole is drilled for mounting. I need two myself and maybe verel can make up some if we all got together to make it worth his while.

8. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

Looks like I need all four. Count me in.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I contacted Verell from this site and Im awaiting his reply. I know he can make them, he makes the pucks for the heater controls as well as other items for 308's. I can supply him with one to duplicate so they are exact. A friend of mine needs 4 as well.

10. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    Q: When it's NLA, who do you call?
    A: Unobtainium Supply Co. of course...
    ;^)
    Yes, I'm interested in helping.

Based on what I can see, I can most likely mold the part.

What's the present material like?

Rigid, or somewhat flexable like a hard rubber?

Tell me more about it being rivited on. Riviting will crack most plastics. How is that prevented?

I'd really need to have better pictures of all sides of the part & some approximate dimensions before I could come up with a ballpark price.

Newman,
    Yes, I'd have to borrow your part for a 2 weekends (optimistic case) to 4 weekends (pessimistic case) to make mold(s) from it & would return it in good condition.

I'm backed up right now, but I'll schedule making the mold in mid - late September. You could wait & send it so it would arrive on Sept. 13, or 14.

Click on my username & select [send email] & I'll send you my shipping address.

BTW

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Thanks Verell, Ill email you my email address now. The part is made of plastic and is hard. Not sure how they dont break when installed but the one I will send you is missing a small piece where the rivet hole is. Its not hard to see the shape though even missing the small corner. Thanks again.

P.

12. Dave Bendl

Dave Bendl Formula Junior

Dec 7, 2003
    Chicagoland
    Full Name:
    Dave Bendl
    #12 Dave Bendl, Aug 15, 2006
  13. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    #13 Newman, Aug 16, 2006
  14. Verell

Verell F1 Veteran
    Consultant Owner

May 5, 2001
    Groton, MA
    Full Name:
    Verell Boaen
    I see. Looks like it's about 1.5" high x 1" wide.

So I'll have to reconstruct the missing corner & fill in the rivit hole before I can make the final mold. That means making 2 molds: A mold that I can edit to turn out a roughly reconstructed part, that I'll then machine into the final shape. Then a 2nd mold for the production part(s).

Guys, these are going to be somewhat expensive parts: A mold typically takes a 6 to 12 hours labor & 2 weekends clock time. I have some ideas as to how I may be able to do the initial mold quicker tho as it only needs to produce a few parts.

That'll probably add a minimum of 2 weekends to the time estimate. Hmm, this is going to have to stretch out as I'll have other orders to fill & in fairness to others, I can't dedicate 100% of my production time for 4+ consecutive weekends to this project.

So far it looks like a total of 14 - 16 parts. I amortize the cost of making the mold over an estimated 5-year volume/ or the useful life of the mold whichever comes first. When I do the initial cost analysis I'll assume an initial run of 20 pieces, then maybe 8 pieces/year?

15. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    As soon as you know pricing, please post. I would buy two sets. There are over 50 Boxers on the master list here on FChat, I would have to believe that 50% are missing at least one of these pieces. Since my car is missing all four, I had no idea there was a trim piece I was missing. I doubt if I am the only one that did not notice this on the car's schematic. If these other owners knew, I think there will a larger intial requirement.

16. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    I would think that almost all boxer owners should buy a set of four because they will kick themselves when they lose one considering they are NLA. Ill buy 8 myself and 4-8 for my friend.

17. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    I'll take 6.

Drew Altemara

18. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    I, too, need a set...Interestingly, there were no holes in the valence suggesting that they were not on my car initially.

Although the originals were made of plastic (and somewhat fragile), what about milling these pieces out of aluminum (then anodizing it black)? As a quick estimate, I CAD'd the design (based upon the pics presented) and found that the cost would be approx $15-$20 each ($60-$80 for a set of 4). Perhaps less depending upon the initial volume.

Cheers,

Sam

19. faz

faz Rookie

Apr 30, 2005
    New Zealand
    Full Name:
    Colin Macbeth
    Hi I also would be keen to have 4. Colin

20. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    When in Pebble Beach this past weekend, of the 7 Boxers I ran across, most were missing these parts. Mine has them on the front only of the front wheel wells, so that means I am missing 6 pieces. But I would want two complete sets.

I like the idea of black anodized aluminum.

21. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Each car only needs four Ron. I like the aluminum idea as well but will go the plastic route first and see what the final cost is. Verell, I will send the part tomorrow, been very busy lately.

Thanks.

P.

22. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I thought their were two on each wheel well, front and back of each of wheel well opening?

Right now, mine has one each at the front of the front wheel wells. Seems the trim piece was to cap off the black tape trim, so I assumed there was 8 total. Where are they supposed to be, just the front of each wheel well?

23. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman

Correct, they finish off the push on trim piece only. There is no trim in the chanel running down the middle of the doors I hope! :) So, 2 ahead of the front wheels and 2 behind the rears, thats it but Ill get spares as well.

P.

24. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

OK, I'll buy, but somehow it makes more sense that there would have been a trim piece at every point to finish off the trim. But then...

25. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Verell, those have been needed for quite some time. I have no idea of your ability to produce them in quantity but you should contact the various parts suppliers. I am sure they can sell quite a few.

If you do not end up doing that sign me up for some. I know I can sell 2 or 3 sets.