Book Of Mormon | FerrariChat

Book Of Mormon

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by Piper, Jul 28, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Piper

Piper Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Horrible. This musical is the pits. The troupe is outstanding, pretty well choreographed, decent musical scores but the play itself is garbage, Shock and potty humor, nothing more, completely unbecoming of a venue the likes of the Kennedy Center.

2. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I've never seen it, but yours is the only review I've ever heard that wasn't glowing.

3. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I know, isn't that funny? That's why we went. And we were not alone, people all around us not clapping, maybe half the audience. It's billed as a comedy, but it's rife with cheap laughs like a character named "butt ****ing naked", another guy that just pops up about eight times yelling I have maggots in my scrotum, one dance scene with a dozen people just yelling "**** you" with their middle fingers out. Another recurring theme throughout was the inappropriate use of pop culture colloquialisms, again just to get a cheap chuckle. It's really surprising it has such rave reviews. The pinnacle was a dance scene depicting explosive diarrhea with giant strap on dildos flailing in every direction. It's a barrel of laughs if your in the mood for such. But there were older folk, children there and clearly not enough useful info in terms of reviews to make an informed decision not to be there. Cheap humor, all of it. Garbage writing. Total crap.

4. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    with all due respect, you are aware it was written by the guys who did South Park, right?

what did you expect?

5. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Indeed I did not. My wife signed us up for it. I've seen some brilliantly funny South Park episodes over the years. This wasn't brilliant or funny. The premise, the basic story line had promise and was indeed funny. It was the shock and potty humor that was both gratuitous and not set up well enough to be anything more than a cheap laugh. If I'd seen this free on Comedy Central, I'd be relatively okay with it and would still say it wasn't their best work, assume both Parker and Stone? Or just one of them wrote this?

6. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    ah, than that explains some of your surprise :)

South Park is gutter humor at its finest...well written, with subtext and parody, but still gutter humor.

I'll watch it occasionally when it's "free" on Comedy Central but I can't imagine spending money to buy tickets to watch it in musical form.

7. Piper

Silver Subscribed

Jun 6, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Full Name:
    Bob
    In a suit, an hour from home, in a venue more suited to Bolshoi.

Shock aside though, my comments are regarding the quality of the play itself. Dropping F-bombs and displays of bodily functions are the cheap tricks of B quality late night stand up.