Boat winter storage - shrink wrap or tarp? | FerrariChat

Boat winter storage - shrink wrap or tarp?

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by kizdan, Oct 9, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. kizdan

kizdan F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2003
    I have a pontoon boat, and it is getting to be that time of year again :-(

I have always had my boat shrink wrapped and winterized, but am now thinking I may switch to a heavy duty tarp, as it is reusable, and I can put it on myself.

My pontoon is 24' long, and probably 8' wide. Anyone know what sized tarp I should get? Also, do you put the boat cover on, and then a tarp on top of that, or just the tarp? When they shrink wrapped, boat cover stayed off.

Anybody have any experience with this?

2. LI2782

LI2782 Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 19, 2010
    Always shrink wrapped and always thinks its a waste. I've always had boats made to live in saltwater and they need to be protected from some snow and rain? Think a good cleaning in the spring would get things back to normal, but I've never tried it. I'm sure you'll be okay with a very well secured tarp.

3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Like storing a car outside, a loose cover in the wind might be abrasive to the gel coat and aluminum trim. I would think you would want something between the tarp and the boat if it is not inside.

4. davew

davew Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 26, 2006
    South Boston, VA
    Full Name:
    Dave White
    I would recommend using the tarp without the cover. You want to protect the boat from the elements, but you also want to make sure there is some airflow under the cover so that any moisture or condensation under the cover can escape, otherwise it will create mildew on the vinyl, or worse, rot to any wood. The advantage of a tarp is that it helps keep the elements out, however the disadvantage is that the tarp does not breathe, keeping any moisture inside. In my experience when they shrink wrap your boat they usually add vents to allow moisture/condensation to escape.