Bikes - carbon seat stays worth? | FerrariChat

Bikes - carbon seat stays worth?

Discussion in 'Health & Fitness' started by vinuneuro, Mar 2, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    I'm looking at a Specialized Tricross Comp that will see a lot of road duty along with gravel. I wanted to get a 2007-2010 model that has a better spec frame (newer ones dropped the carbon forks), but I've found a great deal on a 2006 model which is identical except this. The 2006 is A1 Aluminum w/ carbon forks. 2007-2010 is E5 Aluminum w/ carbon seat stays (with zertz inserts) + carbon fork. Almost every other component is the same between the two models including carbon seat post with zertz inserts and ultegra/105 set. How different is the ride going to be between the two frames?

Is there any issue with longevity of Aluminum + Carbon in the frame vs all Al? I notice that most manufacturers dropped the Al + Carbon in favor of all Al or Carbon along the way.

Thanks in advance.

2. tjacoby

tjacoby F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Vancouver Canada
    Full Name:
    tj
    In 2014 Carbon is having some amazing fabrications for different compliance and stiffness, only way to compare 2006 vs 2007 frames for you, is for you to ride them.

The FIT of the frame is much more important than aluminum vs carbon, and I'd always pay extra for full Ultegra vs 105 but I ride a lot. Nothing wrong with saving $'s on the frame for better clothing/helmet/repairs etc.

3. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I can't answer the question (and given the many differences that result from subtle changes in frame construction, I doubt anyone can unless they have ridden both). I ride a Seven that is a carbon/Ti mix. I like the ride, but I'd probably like the ride of other bikes as well (it was a custom, and I think that trumps materials for many). But I think material science has advanced, so I think the benefits from mixing materials in a frame (not talking about forks, seat posts, etc.) may be becoming a diminishing returns thing.

4. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    I am far from an expert but I have a Specialized carbon road bike ( Roubaix) with an aluminum post and a Cervelo P2C with everything carbon.
    The carbon fiber seat post will definitely cut down on vibration transmitted to your rear. Actually very noticeable on my bikes.

5. vinuneuro

vinuneuro F1 Rookie

May 6, 2007
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Vig
    Thanks for the feedback. I think it might better to go for the 06 as they are cheaper and put the saved $$ into a better seat post later.

6. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    I think that's a good plan--I really like the carbon post on my road bike (I have aluminum posts on my mountain bikes, but I also have suspensions).

7. I<3strippers

I<3strippers Karting

Apr 22, 2012
    VIR
    Get the 06 and use the money saved to upgrade to better components.

As far as pairing carbon+aluminum I have had zero issues on my bikes(I ride Cannondale)

Personally I'd go with a aluminum front fork on a cross bike if your doing some "off roading" on gravel/uneven surfaces.