Best Place to Sit at Austin GP? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Best Place to Sit at Austin GP?

Discussion in 'F1' started by PhilNotHill, Feb 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Seems like the GA ticket would be pretty legit, would be nice to move around some.

2. sbpwjm

sbpwjm Formula Junior

Nov 16, 2007
    Red Bank, NJ
    Full Name:
    Scott
    "Premium Seats" are still held back for folks who are willing to buy a PSL. Totally ridiculous. I want the USGP to be a success but they are shooting themselves in the foot.

Contemplating skipping between the PSLs and the hotel situation...

3. schumacherf2006

schumacherf2006 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 22, 2010
    Full Name:
    Chris
    This is going to sound pretty hippie,

But if I end up going I am taking my tent and driving down from Little Rock in my 95 Subaru Wagon and camping out for the weekend

4. CogitoErgoZoom

CogitoErgoZoom Formula Junior

Apr 20, 2012
    Caves of Altamira
    Full Name:
    Marc
    #29 CogitoErgoZoom, Jun 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
    +1 And you're going to have a great time with great people in a great city. If you want glamour, go to Monaco or Singapore. If you want the automotive equivalent of Austin City Limits fest, try Austin.

I have a feeling (assuming everything comes together without any undue further drama) this race is going to become the new Adelaide on the F1 calendar. A "big small town" where the F1 circus comes to let its hair down at the end of the season and soak up the local culture. If you know anything about the history of F1 you know Adelaide was one of the most popular stops on the calendar with the teams before it got usurped by Melbourne.

5. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Nothing wrong with that!

6. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    The only thing "wrong" with that is they still won't give any details regarding camping or RV parking.

I just bit the bullet yesterday on my trip: sitting toward the top at turn 12 and found a "good enough" hotel (Red Roof Inn @ $170)... which is fine since I don't plan on being in the room much.

I say 'bring it on' and put my money where my mouth is. Anybody else done the same yet?

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    I say the only thing really wrong with camping: November in Texas, hard to say if the weather will be sunny, overcast, pleasantly warm, bitterly cold... could be any or all three that week.

Which reminds me I need to look up which weekend deer season opens this year.

8. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...well if Austin isn't your cup of tea, there is always the New Jersey Grand Prix in 2013, I am sure the hotel prices and overall cost of attending will be far more approachable :)

9. nopiston

nopiston Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    The way I see it, there's no way they're going to have a Formula 1 race 2 hours from my home and me not attend (within reason.) I'm really wanting to be at Turn 12. I'm not at all thrilled with their pricing (especially the Premium or PSL or whatever they call it) or the purchasing system they've set up...or the parking for that matter. Apparently the pre-sale tickets for Turn 12 are sold out. I do think we've found a reasonable hotel in Austin though.

Debating going to the Formula 1 festivities thing coming up. I have a feeling I'll be disappointed and that it's more geared towards turning the Nascar crowd on to Formula 1. If we go, I hope I'm wrong. :)

10. nopiston

nopiston Formula Junior

Apr 1, 2004
    Orange County, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Regular tickets went on sale at 9:00am this morning. Got my Turn 12 seats. Now we wait!

11. parkerfe

parkerfe F1 World Champ

Sep 4, 2001
    Cumming, Georgia
    Full Name:
    Franklin E. Parker
    Maybe. But, Austin is a much better place to spend 4 nights than Singapore. And, you don't have to 30+ hours in an airplane!

12. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    #37 texasmr2, Jun 10, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
    Just a heads up, barnyard and I are in talks about a private/enclosed and locked parking area for FChatters Fcar's (one of his properties intown). Once the details are finalized we will start a thread. I am uncertain of the amount of spaces available at this time but it will most definitely be by reservation only and then any spaces left will also be on a first come first serve basis.

I am not worried about missing friday's practice so I will be on location and in charge. I only have one request, make sure you have a full tank of gas and don't ***** if there is an extra 50 miles on you OD!!!!!!

I'm just kidding about the last part, I think!

Mayor,
    Your on the list so no worries if you need help.

13. Dr Tommy Cosgrove

Dr Tommy Cosgrove Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 4, 2001
    Birmingham, AL
    Full Name:
    Tommy
    I agree with you and I decided no way for me either, BUT....

This morning I decided to look anyway just for fun. I ended up getting a non-smoking King at a Holiday Inn Express 9 miles away for 40 bucks a night + 15,000 points/night. I have 211,000 total right now.

That's $120 for three nights and it still leaves me with 166000 Priority Club points.

It's Booked!

So I am going :D

14. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    will you be including the info for motorhome parking as well?

15. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Here are my notes after going to the GP, for future USGP goers:

Turn 12 was excellent, if you sit in the very top row, you can even see the hill at turn one from turn 12, in addition to seeing the stadium section.

Turn 11 (the hairpin) was also excellent. You got to see the cars more up close than I've seen them at any F1 track, you could see the individual movements the drivers hands were making. I think I liked 11 better than 12. That being said, if you do general admission, you can get a chair and sit at the hairpin and save some bucks! You'd have to secure your location early though. Hope this helps someone.

16. texasmr2

texasmr2 Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Oct 22, 2007
    Houston
    Full Name:
    Gregg
    My seats were at turn 11 and you are correct they were great seats. Back at the house after the race BigTexs lady friend told me about sitting at turn 3 and how she could see all the way down to the S turns and then the cars entering turn 12 and then exiting turn 1 or 2. She said they are probably some of the best seats at the track for viewing asmuch ontrack action as possible.

That seating area is probably what I will try to get for next years ALMS race in Sept and for the F1 race in Nov if I am still stateside.

17. zippyslug31

zippyslug31 Formula 3

Sep 28, 2007
    PDX
    Full Name:
    Kevin M.
    My notes:
    - Turn 12 was fantastic with around 1 minute total of car visibility (of the 1:40-ish lap time) viewable from my seat! That's really hard to beat.
    - I was in row 28 and I wouldn't want to be much lower for both range of views and being clear of the fencing to get unobstructed pictures. As it was the fence was basically right at the bottom of the wheels in many of my pictures.... a little higher would have been better.
    - From section 3 I could see turn 1 pretty well, but I'm thinking maybe sections 5 or 6 would have given the best view with the added bonus of seeing the brakes glowing after braking from the straight.
    - The Red Roof Inn in north Austin is a dump. Period. I shoulda stayed in a tent.

18. Formula1Fan

Formula1Fan Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    There was this platform way up on that tower in the infield. Definitely the place to watch the race from. I'm even imagining that they had waitresses in cool outfits serving food and drinks. No waiting in line for 30 minutes to find out that they were out of what you wanted.

19. freshmeat

freshmeat F1 Veteran

Aug 30, 2011
    Top of turn 1 or turn 12!

Paddock suite seats suck; but it did buy me the grid & pit walk for all 3 days and I managed to hang out in the Ferrari paddock for a bit.

20. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    LaGrange, New Bransfels, most Texas towns have SOME sort of airport, to cater to Oil Barons and cattle ranchers....they don't all have Rent Car counters tho....:D :D :D

21. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    I was amazed, Dr. Tommy walked RIGHT up to me in the midst of 120,000 people, and said: "Hi, BigTex!!!"

So much for blending in......

22. jimpo1

jimpo1 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jul 30, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    Jim E
    My seats were at turn 2, and I loved them. I could see the esses at 3-6, then turns 12-15 without doing much more than turning my head. I bought 4 tickets so $ was a concern. If it was just me, I'd do turn 12.

23. lucky_13_2002

lucky_13_2002 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 26, 2006
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Can anyone give some feedback at GA experience, please? Where is it, how is it, etc..

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    I also sat Turn 12 and loved it, believe I was section 2?

25. Formula1Fan

Formula1Fan Formula Junior

Mar 7, 2006
    Hot Springs Village
    Full Name:
    Jerry Schutz
    We sat in T6(7) and had a good view. The area to our right was a bowl of dirt and rock where GAs unfolded their chairs and watched. The biggest problem was the slope. The only people sitting there were perched on the rim. I went down after the Ferrari Challenge to investigate and was told by people sitting there that it was fine. My own observation was that the view of the track was great, but limited compared with sitting high in the stands. From row 26 we could see the back straight. However, if COTA were to terrace these areas and do something with the surface, they would be the best buy in the house and that's where I would be next year. If COTA did this, and I'm assuming they are going to do something, they would greatly expand capacity.