Best Place to Sit at Austin GP? | FerrariChat

Best Place to Sit at Austin GP?

Discussion in 'F1' started by PhilNotHill, Feb 13, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Got an email to sign up for seat preference.

Where is the best place to see the race?

2. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    I can answer this question after they show the race on TV :D

3. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Massa's seat should be available by then...

4. Sellnit

Sellnit Formula Junior

Mar 22, 2010
    Cincinnati
    Full Name:
    James
    +1, Maybe Kubica will have a miracle recovery?

5. Gilles27

Gilles27 F1 World Champ

Mar 16, 2002
    Ex-Urbia
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I'll play along. They don't even have a seating map up on their website yet...but for the sake of argument I'd look into something in the stands at the end of the long curving back straight, where you can see the cars enter and race through the complex of turns.

6. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I would be asking when the seat chart for New Jersey GP is available.

Austin, a track under construction, for an event in 9 months, and they do not have a seating chart as of now? As of this late date, they have no idea where the grandstands will be located? On any other website, this would be considered a scam.

There is something very wrong with this situation. Possibly they are waiting to see the deposits $$ they receive for this reservation before they can afford to build the grandstands?

Who/what will refund your money if this event does not happen?

At this point, Austin is 50/50. I would not consider giving them any money.

But to answer the original question, I would sit at the S/F line opposite any Jumbotron TV. Sounds like Indy.

7. Ferris Bueller

Ferris Bueller Formula 3

Mar 23, 2004
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Dominic
    Just for kicks I tried booking hotel room in Austin for the week of the GP and nothing is available.
    I am sitting this year out if it even happens and just going to Montreal.
    Montreal is a great venue, great nightlife and alot of fun. After going to Montreal I am afraid Austin might be a let down till they get the bugs out and the track is 100% complete.

8. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #8 TheMayor, Feb 13, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Look at Hotels.com if you DARE!!!!

Wow the hotel owners of Austin are really cashing in already. The prices are just crazy!!!!! No way I am going if I have to pay $475 a night for a Super 8 or $680 for a Holiday Inn Express!!

I'd rather fly to Hawaii and watch it on TV. This is a total and complete turn off for me. I don't mind paying $500 for a room -- just not these kinds of rooms.

Didn't someone figure out in advance that there aren't enough hotel rooms for the people going to the event??? They haven't even sold one ticket and there aren't any decent rooms. Stupid.

If the hotel rates are like this or there are no better hotels to stay in, no way I am going.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

9. Crawler

Crawler F1 Veteran

Jul 2, 2006
    Holy crap! That's insane.

10. JoeGuitar

JoeGuitar Formula Junior

May 27, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Yeah, I'm dying to go to the GP in Austin, but I absolutely refuse to pay that much. Any advice on another town you could fly into and stay at that wouldn't be a painful drive on Saturday and Sunday on the GP weekend?

11. jkddad

jkddad Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 26, 2006
    I'm not familiar with where the pricing of hotels are set (I'm sure supply and demand play into it)' but considering these are national chains, I wonder how much of the price increase is being set by the national brand itself. We will probably see similar price increases in the NYC area for the GP there.

Concerning other fly in option, San Antonoi is a good option and there are numerous hotels along I35 between SA and Austin. New Braunfels is a big tourist town, so several hotel options there. (I believe discussed on this forum by Big Tex). Also, the Temple / Kileen airport has very regular flights from DFW on American, and you would not have the hassle with all the people planning to fly in and out of the Austin airport. However, if you plan to rent a car at that airport, I would suggest reserving one and not expect to do a walk up.

12. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def
    I made a similar comment in the Austin GP thread, and got blasted by some that do not want to admit this Austin venue is looking worse and worse. I did manage to get a room about 45 minutes away for $150/night, and I did get one at the Rodeway downtown for $189/night.

Your comment about the available rooms in Austin hits at one of many questions as to why Austin. If there are not enough rooms in Austin proper, and people will have to drive from an hour or more away, I would predict IF they manage to pull off an F1 event in 2012, attendence will falter by year 3 because of the hotel issue and Austin will merely be a former USGP site.

Orlando and Miami always came out ahead in research for a FIA/F1 facility that could survive.

I hope Austin makes it, but nothing about Austin makes any sense.

13. hookem

hookem Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Nigel Tufnel
    #13 hookem, Feb 14, 2012
    If you really are interested in booking a room, and not just complaining about Austin... simply put a maximum into hotels.com of $150 or $200. Not that hard to do (see pic for 11/16 to 11/19 actual rates). Also check homeaway.com, lots of condos available for <$100 per night on those dates (this is what people do for SXSW, where the hotels also are all booked up). If neither of those do it for you, San Antonio is a fun city to stay in with TONs of hotels and only about an hour drive.

As far as seating, I have seen/heard nothing to dispel the common belief that turn 1 will be the best. Either the natural seating or the stands. Having seen many more football games than races, I think I'd prefer the natural seating, just so I can walk around easily... the race isn't long enough that I'd have to sit down, and the "elbow room" to use my headphones, check the stats on my phone, etc would be preferable.

Oh, and to you Ferrari owners who will be bringing your cars down... PLEASE drive them on South Congress! Us locals love to oogle the hardware on an actual street setting. This is popular during the Lone Star HotRod show and Republic of TX biker rally.

14. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby

Yah. but where are the NiCE hotels?

15. hookem

hookem Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Nigel Tufnel
    You'll be in Austin, there is no reason to sit inside a hotel room. A nice room is a waste of money IMO, but if you have the money to throw around they are certainly there. I'm guessing those who can afford the luxury places probably don't give a flip about the cost.

Although, the condos listed on S Congress would probably be pretty nice. Kitchen, newer bathroom, separate rooms and walking distance to great restaurants and nightlife. After downtown, that's probably the best location to stay in Austin.

And keep in mind some of the boutique hotels here only book 3 months in advance; so if you are on the ball, you can call them on the exact day 3 months before your stay and get something really nice. That's what they do for SXSW, and on that day in Dec that is exactly 3 months before SXSW, these hotels usually sell out in a couple of hours:

https://www.sanjosehotel.com/
    http://www.austinmotel.com/

16. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I'm not going just to see a race and I'm not going alone. This is not a back packing trip like when I was 20. I'm going on vacation. I may be driving down a very expensive machine.

And I don't think I'm alone.

What shocks me is that they haven't sold one ticket yet and there are no quality hotel rooms and the prices for sub par places are the same as Hawaii in peak season. The future does not look bright.

A lot of people will see how the season goes and decide in the last six weeks. If that is the case and they start to look for a room, you can forget them going. You going to need a lot of locals because few visitors will pay 500 a night for a Motel 6.

This is a real problem.

17. hookem

hookem Formula Junior

Jul 14, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Full Name:
    Nigel Tufnel
    #17 hookem, Feb 14, 2012
    I agree that there is a hotel supply problem here, that always comes up during SXSW too. They are building several hotels right now. Anyway, if you say it is a problem I believe you. Just pointing out there are places to stay on a budget if you want.

I just looked on Motel 6's site, and it looks like rooms that weekend are going for about $75. On Sunday night it's $49. Am I missing something?

18. TexasKid

TexasKid Formula Junior
    BANNED

Apr 13, 2011
    Nice hotels? There's a W, Ritz, Four Seasons, Hilton, Omni, Intercontinental, Driskill...lots of nice places. On a normal "event" weekend those places are usually $500+/night so I can only imagine what they'll be for F1.

19. Jagbuff

Jagbuff Formula 3

Jan 13, 2004
    Site of US F1 Race!
    Full Name:
    Franck
    ...yawn

20. thirteendog

thirteendog Formula 3

Mar 6, 2008
    Nashville, TN
    I sort of understand your situation, but reading this makes you sound like one of the most stuck up people in the entire world. If you're buying grand stand seating you do realize you'll have to sit next to a *gasp* commoner, and it's Austin so you will probably sweat.

21. tatcat

tatcat F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2001
    panama city beach FL
    Full Name:
    rick c
    turn one is usually where the fun is. at indy that's where we sat. with the uphill run at austin it should be awesome. i'm still waiting to find out about the rv parking at the track. that's where the party is.

22. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Suites at the downtown Driskill range from $1,100 to
    $1,600/night with a four night minimum and they want
    all the money up front. The Driskill will serve as the
    host hotel so those seeking an audience with Bernie over
    dinner should plan to stay there, I have two suites reserved.

As for grandstands at the track, they may just as easily
    truck in portable grandstands from golf or tennis
    tournaments to make up for any uncompleted permanent
    stands.

BHW

23. TheMayor

Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    #23 TheMayor, Feb 15, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2012
    Stuck up? Go screw yourself. I'm taking my girlfriend who has no interest in seeing the race. She wants to see her friends in that area.

If we want to enjoy a decent hotel at night that's our business.

And I'm telling you I am not alone here. If this race is going to fill the grand stands and people find out they have to stay at a Motel 6 for 500 a night, do you really think they won't just sit at home instead?

Be realistic and keep your personal views of people's wants, needs, and expectations to yourself.

I'll give you another hint. For $1600 a night for 4 nights plus tickets, air fare, rental car, I can fly to Singapore, stay in a terrific hotel walking distance to the track, see an amazing race, enjoy all sorts if free nighttime activities, watch great support races, and rent a portable F1 TV closed curcuit TV system to watch the race from my race seats, for probably half price. I've already done it.

Austin, we have a problem.

24. TifosiUSA

TifosiUSA F1 Veteran

Nov 18, 2007
    Kansas City, MO
    Full Name:
    DJ
    Agreed, these prices are ****ing ridiculous. This is Austin, Texas not Monte Carlo...

25. Tom(Atl)

Tom(Atl) Formula Junior

Oct 29, 2006
    USA
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Purposely reviving this thread as Presales just opened. Here's the info for anyone interested in tickets you can actually buy directly (meaning non-gold tickets):

turn 12 bleacher reserved seating is $417 (lower rows) - $519 (higher rows) w/ fees.
    turn 2, 3, 4, 5 bleachers reserved seating is $315 w/ fees.
    turn 11 is $285 w/ fees.
    the cheaper ticket ($171) is for GENERAL ADMISSION - NO SEAT w/ fees.

Circuit & Grandstand map:
    http://www.ticketmaster.com/event/0C0048B78C785D12?artistid=1737019&majorcatid=10004&minorcatid=25

Elevation map:
    http://usgptexas.com/files/7212/8338/0489/USGP_TRACK_ELEVATION.jpg