best everyday sports car? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

best everyday sports car?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by scycle2020, Jun 30, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I do like the styling of the Boxster more than the M Roadster. I could not live with that two-colored interior you see on most of them. So, basically, it is down to finding a nice Boxster S, possibly without the sports package, or 18s (too harsh of a ride). Of course, I am being oferred a steal on a 94 Viper. I just do not think that it could double as an everyday car (unless I were to spring for the hardtop and the aftermarket side windows, factory setup does not tolerate rain). Too mant interesting cars, too little time....
    :)

In the meantime, I need to dump my A4, 2003, 1.8t Q, 5 speed.

thx
    luke

2. LAfun2

LAfun2 Three Time F1 World Champ

Oct 31, 2003
    California
    Full Name:
    Ryan
    I say BMW M coupe. Friend just picked up a clean low miles one for about 24K.

I just looked at a 2004 S2K tonight. Seems like a pretty solid car. Asking price is 33K, and dealer willing to move on the price as well.

Also agree with Omar on the NSX. Only problem is since its more exotic, you get people keying your car and messing with it.

3. Pong

Pong Formula Junior

Nov 5, 2003
    Thailand
    Full Name:
    Pong
    I would vote for Skyline GTR.....the newer the better (I own R34 GTR)

Big trunk, 4 seats, quite powerful in stock form (400 hp is a save daily driver for the GTR). The only real pain is the hard ride...suspension set up is too stiff for normal road. Other than that, it's a perfect everyday car.

I also got the NSX, but 2 seats and rather small trunk do limit its usage sometimes.

E46 M3 is the very nice car...but I do like the kick in the butt the turbo engine provides when on boost.

4. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    C5: so fast, so cheap, remarkably comfortable ride, tons of space, decent reliability.

5. coolestkidever

coolestkidever F1 Veteran

Feb 28, 2004
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Patrick
    M3 or as Pong said Skyline, but skylines are hard to get in the states. But the M3 is my favorite non Ferrari. Fast, sporty, roomy, and gets alot of looks.

6. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    I think I am the only one who is not impressed by the previous generation M3. Or maybe they are too common over here. Granted, I test drove a convertible, a 99 with 48K on the clock. It had more chassis flex than my recently departed Alfa Spider. It rode like crap, and while it was quick, it had this odd driveline lash which made it difficult to drive smoothly. I also tried the E46, and there is no argument there, a spectacular machine. Solid, fast, and I kind of enjoyed the SMG, although I would not get it for an urban environment.

This thread is very timely, as I am considering some cars right now. My short list is for car under 35K:

1. C5 Corvette (loved it, but wife does not like the "recently divorced, middle age crisis" image. What a value, though. A 350 hp convertible in the mid to high $20s).
    2. Boxster. If the S were priced like the regular one, I would probably be in one today. Fun to drive.
    3. M Roadster. I have yet to test drive this one. I expect to like it more than the M3 convertible. I am giving it the benefit of the doubt.

I have yet to test drive the S2000, the NSX and 3rd gen Rx7 (if I can find one that has not been ethnically altered). I ruled out the SL 500 (too soft and bouncy), 911s (been there, done that), and 928s/968s (maint. $). I also looked at Vipers, and while it is a good value, it was "too much beast" to drive everyday.

thx
    luke

7. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    nice review of the above cars... i agree that c5 vette is a bargin...but woman hate it to death!!!!the nsx is like a 355 but less of very thing, less great engine sound, less power , but is great for the money and is a honda....but trunk space and gettin g in and out is exotic car like....the new s2000 are nice but th e seats are not great and unless you rev it above 6k , it feels like a slow honda..very tight inside, i am 5-9 and barely fit..but it is fu for themoney..the current generation m3 coupe has been the best for fun driving and practicality so far..high 30s for an 01-02 still under warrenty..for an exotic, hw about a maser used coupe for 60k? but there may be some maintaince issues

8. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    Luke,

You will find that the S2k has a very very low dash and steering wheel. There are a few at the dealership east of Ming's.

--Dan

9. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    I can vouch for the NSX since I have one but I can say that nothing beats driving a Ferrari.. The NSX while cool still lacks the fun factor that the Ferrari carries..

It is very reliable and not too bad on costs but the wow factor is just not there.

Don't know maybe I'm spoiled.

10. johnhoughtaling

johnhoughtaling Formula 3

Nov 6, 2002
    New Orleans
    Full Name:
    John William H.
    If you can only have one car, buy a Ferrari. Period.

Yes I'm serious. Go for it.

For 45-50K, ( and not much in maintence)

you can buy a nice 328. Built proof. Needs very little maintenance, and will have no depreciation. Beautiful, and a blast to drive. Has the Ferrari looks and sounds. Down side is the A/C (can find a converter kit for 2K), and is fairly antiquated, and is not as comfortable driving as a normal modern car.

For 45-50K (and about 10k per year maintence)

You can buy a nice 348. Modern look and feel, and alot of performance. Down side is that it has some maintence issues (services every 30k cost 5k), and cannot be parked in the sun (interior deteriorates in the sun, quickly)

For 65-80K (and about 10K per year)

You can buy a 355. Astounding looks, sounds and gobs of performance. Very modern car with power steering and very good ac. Still cannot be parked in the sun and will cost 10k a year maintaining it.

11. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    This is why I like talking to John. :) :)

12. lukek

lukek Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2003
    San Francisco
    Full Name:
    LK
    Ahhh....Ming's....Those start up memories are coming back...

>You will find that the S2k has a very very low dash and steering wheel. There are a few at the dealership east of Ming's.

--Dan[/QUOTE]

13. spyderman33

spyderman33 Formula Junior

Jan 9, 2004
    MIA/ATL
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Nice rundown.. Thanks..

The 328/348 while fun is still slow compared to regular cars nowadays. You buy those cars for the passion and not for the performance. Plus, you won't spend your day doing 0-60 runs and racing the Rice-A-Roni kids in hyped up Eclipses and Subarus..

14. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

993 turbo w/ some mods. will out accelerate an f-16 and get all the groceries you can eat! ...and bullet proof.

not the soul of an f car however but huge racing pedigree.

15. mlambert890

mlambert890 Formula Junior

Apr 2, 2002
    CA
    How is an F355 "daily driver" $10k per year? Ferraris have to be measured in cost per mile to be honest; then you apply the formula to how much you plan to drive.

Ferrari is about as non-daily driver as you can get unless you have endless money.

The original question really needs a lot more input around budget, intended use, willingness to buy used, etc.

One thing I will say as a former C5 owner is that it gets boring fast. They are literally on every single corner, the value drops like a dead weight and the interior is Chevy parts bin all the way. Looks wise, I think the C5 is decent at first glance, but when you live with one, you start to notice that the design just isn't quite right. The Z06 is a better bet since its slightly less common and makes up for the shortcomings with that terrific performance.

My vote, though, would be some variant of 911. Personally, I'm unloading the NSX for a 911 Turbo myself. That car is TOUGH to beat in terms of overall utility, performance and reliability for a true sports car.

If you are willing to consider used cars, I'd say consider a Supra as well (in addition to 911, NSX, Vette Z06) Great, bullet proof, car with unlimited potential. Getting hard to find a clean one though.

Sports sedans are in a different category to me and don't count. An S4, RS6 Evolution VIII, WRX, M3, M5 or AMG Benz are all fast, fast sedans. But in terms of style, they will age badly and they will depreciate hard. That's the problem with sedans. Look at the E36 M3 or the older AMG Benzes. At the time they were awesome, but they look hugely dated now. Compare that to a 911, NSX, or even Corvette from the respective time period and you will see that the 2 door sports car design stood the test of time much better.

16. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    good observations mark...but some sport cars look dated also... look at a c4 vette and even nsx looks a little dated to me,, whereas the past generation 5 series bmw has classic sedan lines that dont look date...btw the m3 is a coupe and coupes can look and be very sporty, such as the current m3, who i prefered driving to a996 in a back to back test drive..also you get a real back seat, fold down seats, and easier in and out..of course for an every day car...for a all out sports car, throw all this out the window